Where to buy Freeguild troops?

Trout

Freeguild and Ironweld Arsenal figures seem to be constantly sold out at the US Games Workshop online store (and are not commonly carried in the brick and mortar shops). Many of the key troops (Handgunners, helstorm rocket batteries, etc.) have been sold out for months. As much as I would love to support my local GW store by purchasing through them, they just don't have any of the things I need in stock and I'm starting to think they never will.

What other options do you guys use for buying things that aren't out of print but simply constantly sold out?

If they are out of stock at GW, and your brick and mortar stores don't have any in stock, then your next option is eBay or buying used.  Check the buy/sell/trade sections of forums or Facebook groups.

My FLGS actually has a program where you can sell of your old models for store credit, and they have a large selection of used miniatures available.

In my country Freeguild units are always available, but BunkhouseBuster is correct that eBay is a great alternative. If you live in a place where shipping is cheap then you can probably get Freeguild models at $2/model on eBay.

Otherwise, you can probably ask your local GW manager to stock some Freeguild models for you. It might take 2-3 weeks but you'll get them in the next delivery.

In the US, many of the core units have been unavailable for months. The way ordering at a GW store works is that they put in an online order for you to be shipped to the store and you don't get charged shipping. So, if it isn't available on the website, it isn't available from the store either.

I actually wouldn't mind ordering it to be shipped from Europe, but that doesn't seem to be an option either.

12 hours ago, Trout said:

I actually wouldn't mind ordering it to be shipped from Europe, but that doesn't seem to be an option either.

Yeah I don't think you can order GW's European stock from the United States and vice versa.

Maybe this means that Freeguild are getting an update??

All kidding aside though GW doesn't let online retailers use a shopping cart when selling GW products so it's annoying to buy online. That said though Frontline Gaming and other companies do sell GW stock online. They might carry Freeguild sets.

40 minutes ago, arka0415 said:

Yeah I don't think you can order GW's European stock from the United States and vice versa.

Maybe this means that Freeguild are getting an update??

All kidding aside though GW doesn't let online retailers use a shopping cart when selling GW products so it's annoying to buy online. That said though Frontline Gaming and other companies do sell GW stock online. They might carry Freeguild sets.

GW has actually reversed that decision, did you miss the news?  I'm not sure when it takes affect, but online retailers can start selling GW kits again (I think it is later this year sometime).  I find it deliciously fitting since Privateer Press did the same thing to online retailers last year that GW did years back, I hope it humbled those elitist fan boys (Mwahaha!)

I am pretty sure that these issues in stock stem from the fact that GW got rid of the manufacturing outside of the UK, at least they eliminated their USA manufacturing plant.  I remember during the 6h edition 40K Tau Codex release that the brand-new Riptide models were selling out like crazy because GW had grossly underestimated the demand.  I betcha that we are still seeing that as an issue today, since so much of the AoS line is sold out so frequently.

Maybe someday they will open up additional manufacturing facilities in other countries to help with demand.

7 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

GW has actually reversed that decision, did you miss the news?  I'm not sure when it takes affect, but online retailers can start selling GW kits again (I think it is later this year sometime).

Looks like I did! Frontline Gaming still doesn't have a shopping cart so I guess it didn't occur to me that the policy changed. GW's attitude toward players and the game seems like it's really shifting for the better!

2 hours ago, arka0415 said:

Looks like I did! Frontline Gaming still doesn't have a shopping cart so I guess it didn't occur to me that the policy changed. GW's attitude toward players and the game seems like it's really shifting for the better!

Yup!  Miniature Market will be stocking GW again as well.  These are excellent days to be a GW player!

10 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I am pretty sure that these issues in stock stem from the fact that GW got rid of the manufacturing outside of the UK, at least they eliminated their USA manufacturing plant.

I wish they knew how much money they're leaving on the table. I just ordered 2 boxes of units off e-bay which I would have purchased from my local GW store had I been able to order it (or even from the European store had they allowed that). I'm watching about 4 other auctions as we speak. The margins on their models must be enormous and the shelf space they occupy is minimal. I can't imagine the pressure to minimize inventory is so great that they'd rather miss out on orders than have extra stock.

3 hours ago, Trout said:

I wish they knew how much money they're leaving on the table. I just ordered 2 boxes of units off e-bay which I would have purchased from my local GW store had I been able to order it (or even from the European store had they allowed that). I'm watching about 4 other auctions as we speak. The margins on their models must be enormous and the shelf space they occupy is minimal. I can't imagine the pressure to minimize inventory is so great that they'd rather miss out on orders than have extra stock.

If what I have learned over the years, the mark-up on GW kits, and that of other miniatures and board games, is close to 100%.  Meaning, that for the shops that sells a kit for $100, they bought that same kit from GW for $50.  That's why so many retailers were selling their kits (and Warmahordes, and X-Wing minis) at 20% or 30% off of retail price, and why GW (and now Privateer Press and Fantasy Flight Games) cracked down on online retailers, trying to get more people to purchase either directly from them or from brick and mortar stores.

I know this because GW at one point was giving employees a 50% discount on their products, and we know a business won't sell a kit without making money on it, which tells me that this amount is what they are selling to retailers.  Between this, the massive online discounters, and some anecdotal things said by various FLGS owners.

But yeah, they ought to increase their stock or production for their models, especially what with Age of Sigmar being on a constant rise.  All I can guess is that the General's Handbook made a much bigger impact that they realized.  I mean, they are currently sold out of the 25mm round base 100-pack on their USA online store.  That makes it hard to convert old Fantasy models, you know?  Let me make this clear: they are sold out of bases.  BASES.

3 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

If what I have learned over the years, the mark-up on GW kits, and that of other miniatures and board games, is close to 100%.  Meaning, that for the shops that sells a kit for $100, they bought that same kit from GW for $50.  That's why so many retailers were selling their kits (and Warmahordes, and X-Wing minis) at 20% or 30% off of retail price, and why GW (and now Privateer Press and Fantasy Flight Games) cracked down on online retailers, trying to get more people to purchase either directly from them or from brick and mortar stores.

I know this because GW at one point was giving employees a 50% discount on their products, and we know a business won't sell a kit without making money on it, which tells me that this amount is what they are selling to retailers.  Between this, the massive online discounters, and some anecdotal things said by various FLGS owners.

But yeah, they ought to increase their stock or production for their models, especially what with Age of Sigmar being on a constant rise.  All I can guess is that the General's Handbook made a much bigger impact that they realized.  I mean, they are currently sold out of the 25mm round base 100-pack on their USA online store.  That makes it hard to convert old Fantasy models, you know?  Let me make this clear: they are sold out of bases.  BASES.

Hey they probably have some squares lying around, you can use those untill the round ones arrive :D

Archived