Updates, the App, and You

I am entirely new to this game, and have a couple of questions regarding the app.  It's my understanding that the information in the app is updated as various rules balances and such happen.  Is that true? 

When updates happen such as the reworking of the Stormcast and/or the move from Bloodbound to Blades, was that upgrade free of charge, were there discounts, or did you simply have to buy the thing outright again?

When the General's Handbook 2 comes out, what do you anticipate happening?  (As above: free upgrade, discounted, or full price?)

It seems rather painful to have to buy these things every year.

Thanks in advance.

In the App, you get, for free, the following items:

- The Rules

- Unit and Models Warscrolls

- Some Battalions

- The FAQs & Errata for the Rules

- The FAQs & Errata for the General's Handbook

The contents of the General's Handbook, and the Battalions found in some of the Battletomes and campaign books you will have to spend money on in the App, though it is at prices lower than buying the book itself.

GW is pretty good about updating the App to be current.  If you ever find something that doesn't seem correct or you notice as having an error, you can always message them on their Facebook pages.

1 hour ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

GW is pretty good about updating the App to be current.  If you ever find something that doesn't seem correct or you notice as having an error, you can always message them on their Facebook pages.

Before doing this, try deleting the warscroll and then download it again.

It has fixed most issues I have had with incorrect(old) warscrolls or display formatting errors.

Worth noting that if you're mainly using the General's Handbook for points values then you can subscribe to the Azyr section of the app and get points updates automatically as and when they change.

That said, the app is in an abysmal state at the moment and is barely functional for me. It's temperamental with even letting me access warscrolls and I've heard tales of many other bugs and poor design choices that essentially render it useless. I'd be wary of paying for any content until these issues are sorted out.

7 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Worth noting that if you're mainly using the General's Handbook for points values then you can subscribe to the Azyr section of the app and get points updates for free.

That said, the app is in an abysmal state at the moment and is barely functional for me. It's temperamental with even letting me access warscrolls and I've heard tales of many other bugs and poor design choices that essentially render it useless. I'd be wary of paying for any content until these issues are sorted out.

Yeah there seem to be quite some strange things happening. I made a habit out of clicking warscrolls 20 times until they finally open, because the first few clicks always make the app act like the warscroll was locked.

Just now, Aginor said:

Yeah there seem to be quite some strange things happening. I made a habit out of clicking warscrolls 20 times until they finally open, because the first few clicks always make the app act like the warscroll was locked.

Yep, exactly this. I don't think everyone is having this problem, but I certainly am. I truly regret updating the app - the previous iteration may have been lacking in features and the latest warscrolls but at least it was functional. I also tend not to buy books and battletomes (prefer to spend my money on models and paints instead), so right now I have no practical way of playing the game.

I hope GW realise how critical the app is for many people and are putting serious time and resources into getting it fixed.

Yeah, I've been having the same issues ever since it went to the Azyr mode.

I'm wondering if I re-install the app whether it'll fix this stuff, but I shouldn't really have to (and I'd lose all the downloaded warscrolls in the process). I'm really considering printing out my Warscrolls even if it means typing them all up one by one in Warscroll Designer because at the moment, I think it would be a struggle to use the app in game (I guess I'll find out tomorrow! First game in a while)

Yeah, also having problems with the App since Azyr, which is a real shame as it was my go to place to find rules, points etc.

Assuming they are thinking something similar for 40K - I hope they either put a lot of work into Azyr to make it work, or stick to the warscroll builder on the website which I find to be much easier to use 

Archived