Three Places of Power Q

Fungrim

Hi folks, hope you don't mind me posting this here - I posted it originally in the rules Q page but it got ignored... (can always trust the Destruction forum for help!)

Need to clear something up that I thought was really straight forward, until it got contested at a tourney recently.

In 3 places of power, once you've killed your opponent's hero who was claiming an objective, can any of your heroes then take control of that objective, or does it have to be the one who did the killing?

Similarly if the one who killed the enemy hero does take the objective, but then subsequently moves off whilst another of your heroes moves on (the old swap 'n' move), do you still control the objective (albeit without the bonus), or does the same hero have to stay there?

So to answer your first question if one of your heros kills an enemy hero holding an objective it has to be the hero that killed the enemy hero, and the second question if your hero moves away then one of your other heros can move and take the objective. 

IMG_3151.PNG

1 hour ago, DodgyRoller said:

So to answer your first question if one of your heros kills an enemy hero holding an objective it has to be the hero that killed the enemy hero, and the second question if your hero moves away then one of your other heros can move and take the objective. 

IMG_3151.PNG

Urgh, should have won a Major  -_-

This is how I've always played it, and my club-mates (who I quizzed afterwards) agreed. My opponent at the time and his club-mate (who was watching the game) insisted on the opposite however, and instead of getting a TO to rule, I just went with it figuring I'd got it wrong.

Nevermind!

Cheers for the clarification mate

I don't interpret it as having to be the hero that did the killing that has to claim the objective. I interpret it that any hero from either side could claim it as it is now 'open'. Chances are though that the hero that did the killing is likely to be the closest and as such most likely to fulfil the 3 inch rule.

I agree that the turn counter is reset each time you swap heros etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Ollicle said:

I don't interpret it as having to be the hero that did the killing that has to claim the objective. I interpret it that any hero from either side could claim it as it is now 'open'. Chances are though that the hero that did the killing is likely to be the closest and as such most likely to fulfil the 3 inch rule.

I agree that the turn counter is reset each time you swap heros etc.

"If a HERO slays an enemy HERO controlling a place of power, then they immediately gain control of it if they are within 3" of it."

Yes, "if they are within 3"of it.” but given that some heros' bases are 100mm long you could realistically be 6" away from an objective. You may then choose to use this hero elsewhere and so move him accordingly whilst another hero of your choice finishes his move within 3".

Also you could be killing the hero holding an objective with magic or a missile weapon meaning you could be just about any distance away whilst another hero of yours or your opponent's is nearer.

Yes those are situations in which the hero that killed the hero controlling the place of power is not within 3" and as such does not satisfy the requirements of the aforementioned rule.

1 hour ago, Ollicle said:

I don't interpret it as having to be the hero that did the killing that has to claim the objective. I interpret it that any hero from either side could claim it as it is now 'open'.

This is wrong though. Because, "if a HERO slays an enemy HERO controlling a place of power, then they immediately gain control of it if they are within 3" of it."

If they aren't within 3" (you gave some examples of situations in which that would be the case) then "if more than one HERO is eligible, then the first to arrive controls it."

Yes i agree, all i meant was that there are situations where the killer will not automatically claim it and the first to arrive doesn't HAVE to be the one who killed the original holder of the objective which is what the original poster was querying. More often than not it will be but you could choose to claim it with another hero of your choosing providing the one who did the killing was more than 3" from the objective and so didn't automatically​ claim it. Basically if the holder dies and no heros from either side are within 3" then 'The race is on!', who you choose to race with is up to you.

I think we are on the same wavelength here.

I guess the interesting question is, if 2 heroes arrive within 3" in the same turn, one of which proceeds to kill the hero currently holding it, the other moved first but is the other side of the objective and so does no killing, who holds it? Is it the guy who kills or the one who moved first? I think the guy who moved?

@Chris Tomlin @Gilby @Ollicle

So a bit of context:

My cabbage is holding it, moves off to attack the Frostlord, but doesn't make it in to combat (objective now free)

Frostlord charges cabbage and piles in around the side to actually be within 3" of the objective (yeah I know I'm stupid....)

Frostlord now has objective.

Cabbage (with some Brutes) kills the Frostlord. The cabbage is not within 3" at the time of doing this. He then moves forward to attack other units, meanwhile my Warchanter moves onto the objective.

I figured this was fine considering the sequence (however my opponent says that the cabbage was the claimant regardless of not being on the objective, and therefore the Warchanter's claim was invalid)

From a rules perspective i don't think you did/wanted to do anything wrong from what you said, in fact i am sure he was not allowed to use his pile in to move around you and claim the 3", that is in the FAQ by GW.

As i imagine what you are saying I would have done similar to you, use your 'strong' hero to kill things/remove threats and your 'weak' one to claim the objective.

12 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

If the cabbage was not within 3" when he killed the frostlord, he did not claim the objective.

Therefore the warchanter claimed it once he moved onto it. As pointed out, you would start scoring 1 point in the round that the warchanter had made his move.

Reading through the new posts I was contemplating my response, then got to this one from @TerrorPenguin. Nailed it.

Note that usually you claim the objective at the end of any move (pile in is legit as @Ollicle said). Killing the enemy hero when within 3" allows you to instantly take it outside of the regular stipulations.

13 hours ago, Ollicle said:

I guess the interesting question is, if 2 heroes arrive within 3" in the same turn, one of which proceeds to kill the hero currently holding it, the other moved first but is the other side of the objective and so does no killing, who holds it? Is it the guy who kills or the one who moved first? I think the guy who moved?

In this situation the Hero who slayed the enemy Hero currently controlling the objective would instantly gain control of it.

The first to arrive part is only relevant to eligible Heroes, however in your example neither would be eligible when they move within 3".

I think we have nicely resolved this conundrum [emoji3].

On the pile in front though, was the frostlord part of a unit? If not he can't pile in on.ce he's charged which makes me think he did a spot of cheeky circling around the cabbage to gain the objective. Very naughty as the FAQ strictly forbidden this!

49 minutes ago, Ollicle said:

I think we have nicely resolved this conundrum emoji3.png.

On the pile in front though, was the frostlord part of a unit? If not he can't pile in on.ce he's charged which makes me think he did a spot of cheeky circling around the cabbage to gain the objective. Very naughty as the FAQ strictly forbidden this!

No he wasn't part of a unit - it may have been he got a decent charge off and wheeled round the side, rather than the subsequent pile-in. Either way didn't seem to notice any problem at the time!

I don't think any of the objective stuff mentioned above was malicious, but I did feel slightly 'out-voted' with his club-mate standing over me agreeing with him..

No he wasn't part of a unit - it may have been he got a decent charge off and wheeled round the side, rather than the subsequent pile-in. Either way didn't seem to notice any problem at the time!
I don't think any of the objective stuff mentioned above was malicious, but I did feel slightly 'out-voted' with his club-mate standing over me agreeing with him..

I completely emphasise with you and i am sure it was not at all malicious, that's how they have played it and as such it would be fair and equal amongst themselves. The rules are always perfectly understandable and clear until you actually start using them! I guess you need to take a friend with you next time!! [emoji12]

On the whole did you enjoy the day? It's cheesy but ultimately the only thing that matters.

Archived