• Last Reply

soooo after careful thinking I'll try this 1000 ko list:

admiral

khemist

20 arxanaut 6x skyhooks

10 arkanaut 3x skypike

3 endrinrigger

frigate

if I get convinced of the feel of the army, I'll get the actual models!

the idea behind is to have a strong ( for ko) counterattack ( admiral skypike arkanaut and rigger) behind the gunline ( skyhooks arkanaut,khemist and frigate) well, actually even inside the frigate itself ;) what do you think about it?

9 minutes ago, Daniel saxcloud said:

soooo after careful thinking I'll try this 1000 ko list:

admiral

khemist

20 arxanaut 6x skyhooks

10 arkanaut 3x skypike

3 endrinrigger

frigate

if I get convinced of the feel of the army, I'll get the actual models!

the idea behind is to have a strong ( for ko) counterattack ( admiral skypike arkanaut and rigger) behind the gunline ( skyhooks arkanaut,khemist and frigate) well, actually even inside the frigate itself ;) what do you think about it?

Sounds good, make sure your 'counter-attack' hits before your 20block gets hit though.  So work out where the opponent can get to if they take first turn, deploy 1" further back than that, then in your first move jump the frigate and its pike shield over the 20 if they are being challenged. If they are not at risk you now have movement options to send the frigate and/or riggers to objectives or at certain targets. I keep everything I can in the Frigate for deployment unless I need them out for some reason (risk of frigate being circled or you need admiral out for battleshock buffs), you can always deploy in your first turn.

5 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

Really

Khemist

Admiral

3 x hook arks

3 ironclads

Allied sce hound3

Any idea how he played it?  Simply outlasting opponents or?  I'm all for ships being viable, just havent seen it work up to this point personally.

I played a game with my Overlords last night against clube mate Steve and his Tzeentch list.  Its not spammed full of skyfires and quite a rounded list, LoC, Summoner, Shaman, 6 Skyfire, some Enlightened, 2x10 pinks, 30 Tzangor.  He has his list down really well and has won a few decent tournaments so I was expecting to struggle as this is only my 4th Overlords game.

My list was;

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Stickler for the Code:There's No Reward Without Risk 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Allies
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skypikes
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- Allies
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- Allies
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 280 / 400

We played Duality of Death and I had first turn. Good deployment from Steve meant I took off half the tzangor but not much else, did score 2 pts though. His turn he magic'd up and summoner on balewind took off half my unit of 30 then took even more on a long charge, Azyros went too and he just managed to get the Frigate, which then resulted in killing 4/10 company as they fell out of its burning wreckage, i was rolling bad!  I got priority for turn 2 and went for his gut, the 5 skyhooks i had left shot at full range into the LoC, powered up by the Khemist General, taking it off in a single volley!  Sadly despite a nice grapnel across the board the Endriggers couldnt match that power and failed to kill his Shaman, leaving him on 1 wound.  On his T2 and shaman was off and running, he consolidated and tried to tie up as much of my force as he could in hope of keeping his 2 heros alive to get points in T3.  It worked as in T3 i got priority but had nothing in range of them and on the return he mopped up the last of my tied up force. Major Loss to the Overlords.

In summary, really impressed with how the list worked, the power of targeted skyhooks fully buffed (Mhornar re-rolls!) is impressive and I think i got my target priority right. I had him cornered but the odd poor decision in places (and shocking rolls) meant he slipped the rapidly closing net.  The list was fun to play, I like that even though it has a lot of shooting its not just a gunline and has a lot of movement speed, looking forward to more games now.

Next task is i need to covert up more skyhooks to replace the pikes and maybe volleyguns, Im also planning to build up some Hammer Prosecutors as the Javelins are pretty poor and the army is lacking a bit of combat ability to thin out screening units.  Skywardens would almost certainly be a better choice, but thats getting a bit close to a 'net-list' and I want the list to be a bit more personal. I also like play for those memorable / inspiring moments, like when you get that crazy 13+" charge off into their back line (yet to happen 9_9) so I think ill stick with them.  Azyros is a good cheap, quick, objective grabber so will be staying too.

I wouldnt use any frigate at 1000. More bodies are better imo. You can perfectly fit two 20 man units which one khemist can buff both, and a few edrinriggers for counterattacking purposes. You could even get a second khemist if you go this way.

23 minutes ago, stato said:

Next task is i need to covert up more skyhooks to replace the pikes and maybe volleyguns,

How will you do it? I´m pretty interested in some conversion ideas. In fact, after I recognised that there is only one skyhook per Arkanaut Box I almost stopped my Overlords plans. But nevertheless, I´m still in, though rather slow in glueing and painting.

23 minutes ago, stato said:

Im also planning to build up some Hammer Prosecutors as the Javelins are pretty poor and the army is lacking a bit of combat ability to thin out screening units.  Skywardens would almost certainly be a better choice, but thats getting a bit close to a 'net-list' and I want the list to be a bit more personal. I also like play for those memorable / inspiring moments, like when you get that crazy 13+" charge off into their back line (yet to happen 9_9) so I think ill stick with them.  Azyros is a good cheap, quick, objective grabber so will be staying too.

I like it when people don´t play just the most powerful army they can think of. I´m going to run some Fireslayers with my yet to build Kharadron Overlords. Though to be honest, I´m tinkering with a mixed Fireslayers / Sylvaneth force...

33 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

How will you do it? I´m pretty interested in some conversion ideas. In fact, after I recognised that there is only one skyhook per Arkanaut Box I almost stopped my Overlords plans. But nevertheless, I´m still in, though rather slow in glueing and painting.

I like it when people don´t play just the most powerful army they can think of. I´m going to run some Fireslayers with my yet to build Kharadron Overlords. Though to be honest, I´m tinkering with a mixed Fireslayers / Sylvaneth force...

Cheers, I got back into the hobby for the laughs, both playing and just trash talking with mates, as my other hobbies were starting to just stress me out. Im not averse to running strong builds and still enjoy testing myself against the toughest opponents, but id rather just laugh my head off trying stupid stuff or at a double1 charge over worrying if i should be optimising.

Anyway, I converted my skyhooks from various leftover weapons from my Riggers and Thunderers. Rigger-skyhooks, chopped fumigators, mortars, etc.  All need different arms/shoulders from the Arkanaughts so its a bit of a faff but easy enough.  I did look at giving them all Judicator crossbows but they are just too big. Have some Thousand sons flamers which i thought might work but i havnt had time to have a proper go. No pics at the moment as they are (only just) tabletop so want to get some more time on them before I do pics.

all my arknauts, ATM are stood in from ye olde dawi. Specifically my quarrellers and the units I had as my irondrake stand ins (crossbowers with a dragon head horn glued on, plus steam drill, plus part of a telescope that looks like a missile launcher. They all stand in for skyhooks, though only the steam drills and telescopes actually look it.)

A bunch of them have bits from my riggers glued on to add a bit of arkanaut feel. Clipped off a few arms and replaced them with rivet and vulcanizer pistols

If I ever use grundstocks, my thunderers will 100 percent go to that.

Hey guys I have a question, I’m new to age of sigmar and I’m about to invest in a few armies and Kharadron Overlords look pretty neat. Can you guys tell me which Battalions net you the most ships (other than the grundstok) for 2000 pts and how do the cities work for matches play? Do you get “free units” based on the city? And which ship is better over all for matches play? The Frigate or the Ironclad? Thank you guys!

2 hours ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Hey guys I have a question, I’m new to age of sigmar and I’m about to invest in a few armies and Kharadron Overlords look pretty neat. Can you guys tell me which Battalions net you the most ships (other than the grundstok) for 2000 pts and how do the cities work for matches play? Do you get “free units” based on the city? And which ship is better over all for matches play? The Frigate or the Ironclad? Thank you guys!

Well, I would say that both battalions and ships are pretty expensive, and both are probably a bit more expensive than they're worth, so in my mind the battalion that nets you the most ships will be no battalion, then you can put the extra points you save from not doing a battalion into more ship points.  The cities get you extra abilities, not free units, and you can only use them with the generic grand allegiance abilities.  Khadron Overlords allegiance abilities are pretty darn good so I would just not worry about a city and just use the Khadron Overlords allegiance abilities from their battletome for a Khadron army.   Of course an Ironclad is better as it does cost about twice the points, but I'd say that I feel like I've had more games where an Ironclad made a big difference beyond just transporting units; compared to what like two Frigates might do.

Most lists I've seen right now don't really use too many ships (like I said, most people think they're probably a bit overcosted); but on the other hand I understand there was a list with three Ironclads that did pretty well at the recent Games Workshop Grand Tournament finals. 

40 minutes ago, Naflem said:

The cities get you extra abilities, not free units, and you can only use them with the generic grand allegiance abilities.  Khadron Overlords allegiance abilities are pretty darn good so I would just not worry about a city and just use the Khadron Overlords allegiance abilities from their battletome for a Khadron army.  

I wonder if he meant Kharadron Skyports not Firestorm Cities?  But yes any Kharadron allegiances are great and you can build up a really varied (tactically) force.

For me i went for a frigate rather than Ironclad.  The ironclad is better per point, but its a lot of points so it ends up being quite central to your list.  If you are building slowly leave a ship till later because for a 2000pt youll still need a lot of troops, so maybe get 500/1000 of them done before treating yourself to a ship.

Ohh, well in that case I suppose the Sky-ports do add extra units to battalions, but they're not free, just lets you maybe get a little more bang out of a battalion, the big thing with them is a series of special abilities, each named city has like 4 or more (including access to specialized artifacts and stuff), and you can build your own and there's like a crazy amount of combinations there.    Mostly a mix or bravery buffs, extra moves/shoots/charges/attacks, and rerolls...

So have played WHFB for years, and jumped into AOS at launch so I'm not completely new, but I am to this faction. (have stormcast, high elves, ogres, sylvaneth) 

Part of my problem (and why I'm probably not better at this game) is I get taken with certain models and want to put them in lists... sometimes to my detriment on effectiveness unfortunately. 

So you guessed it... I want to use the ships... yes even the gunhauler.  It's the models that make me want to play this army!

so since we have only one battleline option that's three arkanauts (3 skyhooks a piece it seems is best)... but I want to use one (or more) of each ship (I know, crazy eh?)

I think balloons look pretty fun as well, but with the battalions seem completely overcosted with GH 2017 to the point where I don't think I can run ships and a battalion and really have anything left. I'm not really feeling the thunderer models, so the nerf really didn't affect my plans. 

Played around with warscroll builder but am always running up short on points... and the ships seem pretty crazy priced for what you actually get (unless I'm missing something)

I'm not set on a skyport, or anything beyond balloons and boats... characters etc. whatever works...

any advice (other than your crazy/stop now) lol

7 hours ago, Jack Shrapnel said:

I think balloons look pretty fun as well, but with the battalions seem completely overcosted with GH 2017 to the point where I don't think I can run ships and a battalion and really have anything left. I'm not really feeling the thunderer models, so the nerf really didn't affect my plans. 

Played around with warscroll builder but am always running up short on points... and the ships seem pretty crazy priced for what you actually get (unless I'm missing something)

I'm not set on a skyport, or anything beyond balloons and boats... characters etc. whatever works...

any advice (other than your crazy/stop now) lol

If you want ships id avoid a battalion, as there isnt really one which benefits them significantly.  1 of each ship looks possible though, ditch the default Khemist maybe and go for Admiral and maybe a navigator (port dependant), should leave you enough credits to get 30 company and 12 wardens/riggers (keep the riggers are units of 3 for that auto-heal on the ships!).  With the speed of the boats you could spread out and keep the enemy at range, picking off units at your choice, or you could charge onto a flank and rip it to pieces and then move along the line.  For a boat list each hero and Port gives different benefits so i dont see there being one stand-out pick

Grapnel chat -  ...immediately move this unit any distance directly towards the target..  

How are people playing this?  

1. Move the grapnel model directly towards target and arrange rest of unit anywhere around it?
  2. Move the whole unit directly to target, maintaining current formation?
  3. Move all models individually directly towards target (converging if required)?
  4. other?
  5. (and by target are you picking an exact point or just any part of the target, may vary depending on what you do above)

Thanks all,

Rich.

30 minutes ago, stato said:

Grapnel chat -  ...immediately move this unit any distance directly towards the target..  

How are people playing this?  

1. Move the grapnel model directly towards target and arrange rest of unit anywhere around it?
  2. Move the whole unit directly to target, maintaining current formation?
  3. Move all models individually directly towards target (converging if required)?
  4. other?
  5. (and by target are you picking an exact point or just any part of the target, may vary depending on what you do above)

Thanks all,

Rich.

Definitely 3.

It's a up to 24" move for each model in the unit like any other move you do in the movement phase but you've just got to go towards the unit/terrain you've snagged. :)

Could this possibly work?

Skyport - Barak-Urbaz - additional footnote - there's no trading with some people

Heroes:

Khemist - earbuster - general - stickler for the code - without our ships we are naught (on ironclad)

Navigator - autotinkerer (on ironclad)

Navigator (on frigate)

Units:

10 arkanauts - 3 light skyhooks

9 Endriggers - 3 grapnels

War Marchines:

Ironclad (the last word - torpedoes)

Frigate

Gunhauler

2000 points

Ironclad has 20 arks and riggers with 2 characters, 10 and the navigator on the frigate, gunhauler running between them to eat wounds as needed. 

3 drops - ability to stop 2 spells (once I disembark). Khemist buffs grapnels and saws and sends in the balloon boys for the kill on a scary unit after the ranged attacks do what they can to soften things up. 

6 hours ago, Jack Shrapnel said:

Could this possibly work?

Skyport - Barak-Urbaz - additional footnote - there's no trading with some people

Heroes:

Khemist - earbuster - general - stickler for the code - without our ships we are naught (on ironclad)

Navigator - autotinkerer (on ironclad)

Navigator (on frigate)

Units:

9 Endriggers - 3 grapnels

War Marchines:

Ironclad (the last word - torpedoes)

Frigate

Gunhauler

2000 points

Ironclad has 20 arks and riggers with 2 characters, 10 and the navigator on the frigate, gunhauler running between them to eat wounds as needed. 

3 drops - ability to stop 2 spells (once I disembark). Khemist buffs grapnels and saws and sends in the balloon boys for the kill on a scary unit after the ranged attacks do what they can to soften things up. 

Like that list! Though I can´t tell you wether it´s any good.

Archived