Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Here's a question. In the battletome, the section that is headed The Sky-Ports sates that "you can organise your collection as a fleet from one of the major sky-ports by painting it in the sky-port's colours.

Now, I know this was cogitated over before, but is this considered as set in stone, or are people still free to do what they want? Will I need to be writing two lists if I go to any official tournaments and I want to use the Zilfin rules without the Zilfin colours?

I would think as long as you state where they hail from it doesn't matter.  There are so many trading posts and the skyholds are massive. Gives another meaning  you are the captain of your own ship.

19 hours ago, Mikester1487 said:

I would think as long as you state where they hail from it doesn't matter.  There are so many trading posts and the skyholds are massive. Gives another meaning  you are the captain of your own ship.

So, I wanna make a point of this. No where is it a RULE that you must paint it in the colors. It simply suggest that you can organise it utilizing your favorite skyporfs colors. And if anyone were to EVER attempt to tell me otherwise... I'll paint my own colors, even if only SLIGHTLY different and boom... sister sky port same rules. This is like someone telling a 40k player they can't have red imperial fists.. good luck! 

On a different note, here is a list I drummed up!

Alright guys, this list is meant to hit HARD in the shooting phase, while keeping the opponents army at bay with superior mobility. It's a 2000 point list that I'm hoping to build if the reception is well received. 

My extra footnote is "there's no trading with some people" to ensure a kill where it is needed, or knock a huge threat down its chart a little further. 
Khemist - doughty champion, optimizaton 
khemist - earbuster 

X10 company w/ champion, x3 skypike 
X10 company w/ champion, x3 skyhook 
X10 company w/ champion, x3 skyhook 

Gunhauler w/ drill cannon 
Gunhauler w/ drill cannon 
Frigate w/ breath of morghrim, heavy sky cannon 

X6 endrinriggers w/ x2 drill cannon 
X6 endrinriggers w/ x2 drill cannon 
X5 thunderers w/ x5 mortars 
X5 thunderers w/ x5 mortars 

Ok. The pike company, along with the earbuster khemist go into the frigate. The endrinriggers attach on and the frigate accompanied by the 2 gunhaulers advance and fire. Popping out the endrinriggers when needed and the company as same. Their superior shooting, with the help of the khemist, should put on the hurt. The company with pikes will be to tie up a unit if need be or hold an objective. The x2 mortar teams are split so that shen using the ability with the other khemist to select 2 units I can fire 10 rounds a piece at two different targets. This list would use its speed at the forefront coupled with is all around amazing shooting to win the game and hold objectives. I also forgot, the two companies with skyhooks will (slowly) make their way to midrange to assist in firing. They are also there to tie up any units as a last resort while mortars continue to fall. Basically with backfield, midfield, and the ability to out maneuver my opponent in his own zone I'm hoping to see great success

I tried out 2 lists of the following:

Barak urban

Iron sky squadron

Khemyst with ignore cover relic

2X10 company with 3 hooks each.

2X1 frigate with heavy cannon and self healing relics.

I was against gnarl root with treelord ancient, 2 squads of 5 tree reverent 3 bow kurnoths and 3 scythes.

He got first turned and ported 9" away and plonked around 6 wounds of each frigate, failed his scythes charge. 

My first turn, company disembark and stay 10" next to each other to benefit from the double khemyst buff. Each unit fires the hooks at the ancient and do exactly 12 wounds, boom dead! Pistols fire at the kurnoths, not a lot of damage no surprise.. ships activate reroll 1's and double tap cannons into the bownoths killing 2 all together!

Carbines shoot into the scythes doing 2 wounds.. :( we roll off he gets a turn, damn!

He moves around some more and prepares to charge. Bownoth deals 3 wounds to my khemyst.. ouch.. 2 wounds left (I forgot to shoot his weapon too...). Scythes charge... as you expect it, whips a 10 dawi unit out. Reverents charge into my 2ND squad and khemyst and grungi behold! My dawi manage to whip them out with CC and battleshock (well they are ****** battleline).

My turn. Both frigates open up on the scythes dropping one (that 4+ to hit is killing it for me..) skyhook turn on the last bow and take him off the field. Finally the khemyst opens up and rolls a 15 shot gun! He promptly removes his 2 scythes and victory is in my stubby bearded hands!

Second list (and favourite so far)

2 khemysts with ignore cover relics

2X20 company squads with 6 hooks each (proxied my 6 volley guns for the 2ND unit)

1X9 sky wardens , 3 volley guns, 2 drills 1 grapple (proxied with prosecutors)

Vs moon clan grots..... tune in next time ;)

received_120332000379927592.jpeg

received_120332000403679879.jpeg

Interesting... so the 4+ to hit across the board is really hard to hit with as I thought... I know I need rerolls to survive  and do damage at least. 

also, the warhammer tv kharadon list is about what I wanna run, so watching this week's game will be fun!

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I like ubraz as taking 1 khemyst is basically two so allows me to take the iron sky formation. My infantry list did so much better than the boat list. The company murder monsters and heroes but the boats are like.. disappointing except on turn 1 

which considering ships are the entire point of our army is super annoying to be honest. The cool ships we have should really hit on a 3+ or something

33 minutes ago, Dez said:

So I got busy and wasn't able to pay attention...but from what I gather, KO won in turn 2? Or did KO win priority and win in turn 3?

no, pretty much at the bottom of turn 2. Barak Zifflin's re-rolling ones seemed to be very good against bloodthirster spam, and the deepstrike made a huge box of destruction.  That said, the khorne list seemed very heavy with the thirsters, and apparently the same list came in dead last for a grand AOS tournament so there is that to consider.

I think it's a bit of a shame the ships don't have that much firepower, to be honest.  But I do think they have utility, taking a single frigate and lots of balloonmen really reduces your drops.  So for example was looking at this:

4 Khemists

3x 10 Arkanauts - 3x skyhooks

2x9 Endrinriggers - 2x grappels in each

2x3 Endrinriggers - 1 Volleygun, 1 Drill cannon in each

Frigate - Cannon

That can be 3 drops if you want.  You can even give it Aethersperic Endrins and teleport pretty much the whole army in whichever turn you want and shoot off the world.

With regards to the 'paint in specific skyport' question.  I think GW are trying to make KO and Stormcast more like spacemarines, with specific chapters and stuff.  So in 40k you would never contemplate painting up a White Scars army and using Dark Angels rules, would you?  However, I see no problem with painting up your own skyport and saying it's a small, splinter skyport from whichever major skyport you wish.  That's what people do in 40k with their space marine chapters.

I think if you had an army clearly painted in one Major Skyport's colours, you should probably use it as that skyport, personally.  But feel free to come up with your own skyport and use whichever rules you want!

I have a question that hopefully someone can clear up for me.

If you take the aetherstrike force battalion and other units with the Kharadron Overlords key word then you have a Kharadron overlords army.

In the tables for the artifacts of power in the KO book, the headings say "any Kharadron Overlords Hero can be given..." meaning any unit with the hero keyword from a Kharadron overlords allegiance army (the Kharadrons overlords is not in Keyword bold meaning that keyword isn't required?)

So the knight Venator from the aetherstike force can have an artifact from one of the KO tables?

There is probably something that I am missing to say that you cant do this but I really want this to be correct.

If not can he have a plain old order allegiance artifact?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Alright, considering the recent comments, I figured I'd take a go at comparing the Close combat potential of Endrinriggers to that of the Skywardens, and my results were surprising.

Considering the only adventage the Wardens have is their mines, and their longer range, I would have assumed the extra shooting of the Riggers would be sufficient to explain their extra cost, but it appears this isn't the case: they are better in CC too.

Build were: 6-strong units, including 2 grapnels/guns (so 4 basic weapons, including the champion, + 2 attacking with their Gun Butts)

In the end, results were the same accross the board:

- Without any bonuses whatsoever, the Riggers are better against opponents with any save 5+ or better. Wardens are better against opponents with a 6+ save or none at all.

- With any other bonus, except when you have a + to wound, the Riggers are always better (and even then, depending on other bonuses or RRs, a + ToWound doesn't always favor the Wardens).

So unless you can give your unit(s) a + To Wound, there really is no reason to get Wardens, since in every case the CC output of the Riggers will outperform them (except maybe if you have large units that wouldn't all get in CC).

Yeah, I think the only reason to take wardens is if you need 6 balloon men and come up 40pts over!  Especially if you're taking them as a shooting support unit, then you might as well take the wardens.  The riggers also have much better pistols, with their 3 shots each!

Archived