Two Parts: What is an Attack & Can You Attack Your Own Guys?

Sleboda

Question

I have new player who has never played miniature wargames before.  She's a blank canvas.  No hangups.  No traditions. No baggage. She's also very organized, intelligent, and logical.

She is getting frustrated by finding things she can do within the rules, being told she actually can't, and then hearing "you just can't" or "it's never worked that way before" as the reason.

For instance, she wants to put three Skaven Assassins "in" a Verminlord Deceiver, Skitterleap across the table, and unload the Assassins. She reads the rules and tries it.  Her opponents tell her she can't ... but she can.  She is within the rules. 

Now another one has come up. She wants to attack her own models with certain spells, abilities, or weapons. The rules for several of these, especially spells, direct her to select a unit.  She wants to select her own.  She is told she can't. She has good tactical reasons to want to kill her own stuff.  She selects a target for the spell. She is told she can't make her good decision "because."

One could try to argue that you cannot "attack" your own models, but then you have to define "attack." It looks like the rules apply it to combat and shooting, but not spells, so at the very least spells should be freely tossed into your own units. There is even support for the idea with Scorch.

The wording of Scorch is enlightening and important.  It does not say "Scorch is allowed to target friendly units...etc." It just says "If Thanquol targets a Skaven unit..."  There is not special dispensation to break some imagined rule that you can only target enemies. It tells you to pick a unit and if that unit is Skaven, something else happens.

Many spells tell you to pick a unit. Some specify enemy or friendly. Why specify if the assumption is that you can't target friendly units?

Thoughts?

25 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

- A unit declaring an attack on itself is unclear.

- Shooting friendly units is unclear.

On a general note, a GW clarification would be much desired.

Attacking itself - the rules provide no mechanism to do this, they explicitly state that you can select a target of an enemy unit that is within range and is visible to the attacker. They provide no way to target anything other than an enemy unit, your options are select an enemy unit within range and visible, or don't select anything (note that you can do that). There is no mechanism by which you can select yourself as a target.  In this case, what isn't written is as significant as what is.

Shooting points you to the rules for attacking, it just uses weapons with longer range, so is the same as above.

So you can cast spells on yourself if they just say select a unit and don't specify an enemy unit. You can't attack yourself with melee or ranged weapons.

So, to summarize where we're at right now on this topic (do correct me if I'm wrong) 

- Spells/abilities that don't specify enemy units as their targets can target friendly units.

- Attacking friendly units in melee is unclear/not feasible due to the wording of pile-ins and attacking.

- A unit declaring an attack on itself is unclear.

- Shooting friendly units is unclear.

On a general note, a GW clarification would be much desired.

It's actually interesting to think about.  When I first tried Warmahordes and saw that you could attack your own friendly models, my mind was blown.  Coming from 40K where that was not allowed at all, it was interesting to think of different combos or strategies that could be had with the option to target or attack your own units.  Like targeting a friendly model make full use an AOE attack, or eliminating your own grunts to give a boost to a model that likes a kill tally in games, or even just doing it to allow some of the recursive unit strategies possible (like what about that Ardfist formation for Ironjawz?).

Personally, I don't see any reason why Age of Sigmar should disallow friendly fire as a legitimate thing to do, especially since they did not explicitly say anything on the matter.  I would like to see an official ruling from GW one way or the other though so as to allow the option or keep players from worrying.

32 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

I'm no expert on this at all but how would you attack a friendly unit. The rules for Picking Targets says "in order  to attack an enemy unit..." but nothing about picking a friendly target.

So by that logic either you can't target a friendly unit (as there are no rules for it) or you can target them regardless of range or visibility (the two requirements for picking an enemy unit). In addition you can only split attacks between enemy units.

If you did attack a friendly unit the "opposing player" would need to roll the saves "Making an Attack" step 3.

This goes back to what I said earlier. Define an Attack. At best it seems to apply to shooting and combat. Spell rules are in their own and do not refer to that other section.  Abilities are a step even further away.

2 minutes ago, Grimma said:

Storm Breath: You can make a storm breath attack with this model in your shooting phase. To do so, pick a point on the battle eld that is within 12" of this model. Roll a dice for each unit (friend or foe) that is within 2" of the point that you picked. On a roll of 4 or more, the unit being rolled for su ers D3 mortal wounds. 

But that could act as an argument that you can't hit friendly units unless the spell or ability specifically tells you to -- since this one explicitly says "friend", it can hit your units.

In my opinion, which can certainly be as much as 100% wrong, if a spell doesn't say that you can target/damage your own units, you can't do it. That's just the way I choose to interpret the intent of the rules as written.

I'm no expert on this at all but how would you attack a friendly unit. The rules for Picking Targets says "in order  to attack an enemy unit..." but nothing about picking a friendly target.

So by that logic either you can't target a friendly unit (as there are no rules for it) or you can target them regardless of range or visibility (the two requirements for picking an enemy unit). In addition you can only split attacks between enemy units.

If you did attack a friendly unit the "opposing player" would need to roll the saves "Making an Attack" step 3.

3 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

What damage spells don't specify an "enemy unit" as the target? I agree with your premise, but in my lack of experience with spells I don't know of any damage-dealing spells that don't specify that the target must be an enemy. 

Just looking at a few random spellcasters.

Does anyone recall the wording on arcane bolt?

- Darkling coven's Sorceress doesn't specify enemy unit for her targeted spell. 
- Collegiate arcane's battlemages specify enemy unit for their targeted spells, but the battlemage on griffon has a line-aoe (amber spear) that doesn't specify enemy unit.
- Lord Croak (Seraphon) specifies enemy unit.

- Weirdnob shaman (ironjawz) doesn't specify enemy unit for either of his spells (foot of gork, green puke).
- Firebelly (Ogre dude, Firebellies) doesn't specify enemy unit for his ability "fire breath", but his "fire cloak" spell specifies.
- Wurdogg prophet (Bonesplitterz) specify enemy unit for his "fist of gork" spell.

- Arkhan (deathlords) doesn't specify enemy unit for his "curse of years" spell.
- Mannfred (Deathlords) doesn't specify enemy units for his spell either.
- Nagash (Deathlords) does specify enemy unit for his spell. Possibly because of the "guess which hand is holding the dice" mechanic of his spell.

- Gaunt summoner (I dunno) does specify enemy unit with his spell.

- Ogroid thaumaturge does specify enemy unit with his spell.
- Rotbringer sorcerer (nurgle) does specify enemy unit with his spell.
- Grey seer does specify enemy unit with his spell.
- Thanquol does -not- specify enemy unit with his spell.

Either GW is incredibly inconsistent (more so than usual) with their wording on spells, or you can actually target whoever you like with spells that doesn't specify, because there's too many cases of different wording for it to be unintentional. At least it would appear so. 

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Spells. It doesn't even have to be area effect.  Many spells or abilities simply say to pick a unit,  with no specification,  and no general rule exists over all to say that selected units must be enemy units. 

What damage spells don't specify an "enemy unit" as the target? I agree with your premise, but in my lack of experience with spells I don't know of any damage-dealing spells that don't specify that the target must be an enemy. 

Just now, Sleboda said:

She had spent several hours over the last week or two looking at all the books trying to spot this "oh oh!" quirky rules that nobody expects.  I won't share her list of ideas just yet,  but she's having a blast.  ☺

I've been doing the same thing for a month :D I'm a total newbie to the game as well, not counting the month long planning. There's a lot of potential for under-the-radar hidden tricks and strategies in age of sigmar, which I find very appealing. It seems she's leaning towards a "This is clever, I should do this, no one will expect it." type of mindset over the much more dull "If I field 30 warpfire throwers, I win all the games." (No offense to whoever does that) 

Do give me a nudge if/when you do share that list, or if she does. I greatly enjoy seeing other people's tricky tricks and trying to improve upon them/use the same principles for something else. It would be very much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

My compliments to the skaven player. It is clever thinking like that which inspires me to theorycraft. What other tricks has she tried to make use of? 

She has spent several hours over the last week or two looking at all the books trying to spot these "oh oh!" quirky rules that nobody expects.  I won't share her list of ideas just yet,  but she's having a blast.  ☺

Attacking. The charge bit is covered. Enemies only,  within the rules.

Spells. It doesn't even have to be area effect.  Many spells or abilities simply say to pick a unit,  with no specification,  and no general rule exists over all to say that selected units must be enemy units. 

Note, to head it off at the pass, that "permissive rules" doesn't help here.  The rules permit you to select units. A friendly unit is a unit.  You have permission. 

8 minutes ago, Grimma said:

"Whether that extends to a unit attacking -itself-, or spellcasters/shooters shooting at a friendly unit, I wouldn't know."

Some spells and effects have area effects that explicitly target all models, so in at least some cases it is possible.

Oh yeah! Good spotting! 

59 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Ah. Oops. Put the assassins in a chieftain, then,  and leap him.  ☺

Don't quote me on this, but singular models (heroes) should still count as "units" - which means you can definitely hide assassins inside of them, EXCEPT when it is specified that the unit it is hidden inside needs to be X or more models (as is the case of the goblin assassins, if memory serves.) 

If I am correct, then you can also hide assassins within asssassins. Which has the advantage of positioning them more easily when you choose to reveal them, since the source of their placement is another assassin, rather than the transporter unit (although you still want a non-assassin as the 'mother' unit). 

I read a few battle reports from a guy who used that trick to great effect with his goblin army. Hiding 12 goblin assassins (skulkers?) within another unit of 12 goblin assassins, within a stack of goblin spearmen or wolf riders, depending on his need. He had a third group that he put on something else, as to not put all his eggs in one basket. 

My compliments to the skaven player. It is clever thinking like that which inspires me to theorycraft. What other tricks has she tried to make use of? 

Regarding the whole "Attacking your own unit" thing, I am actually very interested in knowing the answer to this as well. There are definitely benefits to killing your own soldiers - although unorthodox, which makes it a very surprising move to pull against your opponent. 

Edit: 
Although, if you -could- attack your own units as if they were enemy units, that means you could -charge- your own units for potential free movement, which seems silly. Pile-ins and retreats would be sort of wonky as well, so I would assume that a unit going into melee with a friendly unit would be a "Nope." 

Whether that extends to a unit attacking -itself-, or spellcasters/shooters shooting at a friendly unit, I wouldn't know.

Here's what I posted regarding the idea of attacking your own units, regarding a discussion that came up in The Rumor Thread.

Essentially, while not explicitly discussed in the rules, I feel that it's heavily implied that attacking always happens to enemy units unless explicitly indicated otherwise (e.g., with the Skaven Chieftain with Battle Standard, though his ability doesn't even use attacks). Note that the Wrathmongers' ability clearly indicates that a model can attack its allies (or itself), whereas other (standard) attacks mention neither.

1. Verminlord Deceiver does not have the "Skaven" keyword, so RAW that's a no-go. Otherwise, I'd be okay with it.

2. If it just says "select a unit", I would not have a problem with her selecting one of her own units. Do you have a particular example of a spell or ability that people would have a problem with?

Archived