Process of my Celestial Vindicators and Khorne Iron Horde

Hi all,

I recently came back to the hobby and like with many my first purchase was AoS starter set. My current aim is to eventually have 1000 points armies of both and having lists that are balanced against each other. I'm also going to buy a gamemat and make terrain to accompany both armies. I really love browsing here what awesome things other people have done with their armies and I hope you find some interest in my stuff as well.

First, I had some problems coming up with a suitable color scheme for Khorne. I knew I didn't wanna go with the usual red and brass, and I first tried some bone colored armor but I wasn't overall too happy with the outcome. Then I discovered paint scheme called "Iron Horde" and I knew that was the kind of look and feel I wanted. I just found it really fun to paint all this dirt, rust and blood and I think this type of look is suitably menacing for Khorne. Also, this monochromatic look reminds me a bit of armors in Skyrim, which is not really a bad thing.

My Stormcasts are done with modified Celestial Vindicators theme. Fiery weapons and armor are usually something associated with Khorne, so I decided to switch it around a little. Now I have an army that fits the fluff but still feels enough like my own thing.

But anyways, here's some pictures of what I've got so far. I've completed the Blood Warriors and Skullcrushers (you find some unfinished parts on bases, though) and now I hear Slaughterpriest calling me from the depts of Start Collecting! box and after I finish him I'll focus on some Stormcasts for a change. The Liberator you see here is the first test model that I did.

skullcrushers1.jpg

skullcrushers3.jpg

skullcrushers4.jpg

skullcrushers6.jpg

skullcrushers9.jpg

bloodwarriors3.jpg

test1.jpg

1 hour ago, roberto said:

The metals on your Khornish are amazing.  How did you achieve them?

Over black undercoat I painted 1:1 mix of Boltgun Metal (I think Leadbelcher is the current version of this?) and Abaddon Black. Then I gave all the metal parts a wash of Nuln Oil. Then using a small piece of tissue paper I painted all the scrathes and worn parts with Boltgun Metal and then with Celestra Grey. After that I put some Agrax Earthshade on the model and put some Chestnut Wash (Fuegan Orange works here, too) on my brush and started to paint all the rust and dirt. The idea is not to be too concerned how well these washes mix. I also used some green and yellow washes with Agrax Earthshade for variety. Also, I did a very light drybrush with Runefang Steel and then more heavier drybrush to all the focal parts or where light would hit. Finally I painted highlights in normal manner with Runefang Steel.

Slaughterpriest done! In hindsight maybe there's not enough contrast between some of the colors and whole army of these will probably look like brown and grey blobs on the battlefields, but oh well... :D Anyways, it was a fun process and I think I learned a lot. Cheers!

slaughterpriest4.jpg

slaughterpriest5.jpg

slaughterpriest7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stealth

Great work with this - seeing this paintjob has confirmed the right choice for me to start collecting AoS. I'll be going halves on the starter set with a friend tomorrow, and I'll be getting the Khorne stuff. 

I want to replicate the above paint schemes as best as I can, they are really inspiring. I just signed up for this forum to reply specifically to this thread. 

Do you have any further advice other than what you have posted above or perhaps additional photos I could use as reference since posting back last month?

Thanks! 

On 4/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, Stealth_Hobo said:

Slaughterpriest done! In hindsight maybe there's not enough contrast between some of the colors and whole army of these will probably look like brown and grey blobs on the battlefields, but oh well... :D Anyways, it was a fun process and I think I learned a lot. Cheers!

slaughterpriest4.jpg

slaughterpriest5.jpg

slaughterpriest7.jpg

Love the gritty look on these. The dark colours with the light skin and blood really works well and you have done a great job on them. Skin and red cloth specifically look nice.

1 hour ago, ChippyRick said:

Love the gritty look on these. The dark colours with the light skin and blood really works well and you have done a great job on them. Skin and red cloth specifically look nice.

Thanks, man. Glad you like them.

6 hours ago, funz0 said:

Hi Stealth

Great work with this - seeing this paintjob has confirmed the right choice for me to start collecting AoS. I'll be going halves on the starter set with a friend tomorrow, and I'll be getting the Khorne stuff. 

I want to replicate the above paint schemes as best as I can, they are really inspiring. I just signed up for this forum to reply specifically to this thread. 

Do you have any further advice other than what you have posted above or perhaps additional photos I could use as reference since posting back last month?

Thanks! 

Hi funz0!

I'd be happy to help to get you started. Unfortunately, I don't have any new photos yet as I've been super busy lately, and the time I've been painting has been used for tinkering with the Stormcast color scheme. But the next Khorne model painted will be Khorgorath and I'm gonna paint it using almost the same color palette as with Slaughterpriest.

I managed to find the tutorial that my color scheme is based on, this will explain the process better than my explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uc4nTV84ZU

This is how I did the skin of Slaughterpriest: http://runebrush.pa-sy.com/2016/09/painting-the-khorne-slaughterpriests-part-one-pale-skin/

For Bloodreavers I'm thinking of doing something quicker, maybe like this: http://fromthewarp.blogspot.fi/2009/12/painting-raven-guard-muted-pale-skin.html

As for other advice, I recommend using a test model to get hang of the process. If you have any extra Space Marines lying around those will do fine. And when drybrushing, apply the paint very, very lightly. Also, I recommend watching Warhammer Tv's video how to make those blood effects.

I hope this was helpful to you. If something comes up, feel free to ask. :)

25 minutes ago, Killax said:

Again nice dark and gritty which really fits the Chaos theme

Exactly. And such iron tones are a welcome variety to the usual reds and occasional blacks of standard Khorne army. Great work. But Stormcasts could really use some varnish!

12 hours ago, JimmyTheOne said:

Your Khorne army looks amazing. I hope you don't mind if I steal your paint scheme for my own army. I've been looking for this sort of gritty and menacing look for ages! Thanks for sharing it.

Steal away! I would love to see what you guys come up with the paint scheme.

16 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Exactly. And such iron tones are a welcome variety to the usual reds and occasional blacks of standard Khorne army. Great work. But Stormcasts could really use some varnish!

Stormcasts just received a shiny new paintjob. :)

6 minutes ago, Stealth_Hobo said:

Stormcasts just received a shiny new paintjob. :)

Looking great! Although the black wash is as dirt as ever (that's why I am starting to think that I should buy a pair of non-black ones), but nevertheless. I would only use a glossy varnish on him :)

2 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Looking great! Although the black wash is as dirt as ever (that's why I am starting to think that I should buy a pair of non-black ones), but nevertheless. I would only use a glossy varnish on him :)

Yeah, old paintjob was done using black wash, but with this new one I used blue wash. I tried making it more like a glaze with thin, even coats and not just soak the model with it.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Routasydän said:

Really liking the Khorne stuff :) I have an army waiting to be built and I thought bout painting them metallic with blood :P

Go for it! :) At first I wasn't too fond of metallic color schemes, but this is actually really fast and so much fun to paint.

3 minutes ago, Routasydän said:

Really liking the Khorne stuff :) I have an army waiting to be built and I thought bout painting them metallic with blood :P

Go for it! :) At first I wasn't too fond of metallic color schemes, but this is actually really fast and so much fun to paint.

The khorne models are absolutely spot on. Very gritty and evil looking. I know it's a bit repetitive but they would look soo good with some snow on the bases with that cold skin color and all the dark values. :) 

22 minutes ago, Korpur said:

The khorne models are absolutely spot on. Very gritty and evil looking. I know it's a bit repetitive but they would look soo good with some snow on the bases with that cold skin color and all the dark values. :) 

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I know what you mean, snow bases have come across my mind, too. :) I kinda like the idea of making a gameboard that represents this desolate wasteland battlefield, and at this point I'm not too locked at any particular theme, but the thought of re-doing all the bases sounds a bit annoying. :D

11 hours ago, Stealth_Hobo said:

Fast and fun is what Id like too and is the reason why I might go with the metallics :)

Dont want an army with so much detail painted to my top standard since it would never get much further than like 10 minis :D

Archived