Sylvaneth Wyldwood: "Wyldwood" scenery rule question

Walrustaco

Question

My gaming buddy plays Sylvaneth and is more experienced than I. I've naturally tried to learn as much as I could about his army's rules, especially since I wasn't too confident about playing around his wyldwoods. I was told that any movement ending on, or run or charge across or ending on the wood would cause non heroes to die on a roll of 1.

Upon studying their warscroll I noticed the wording was 'Roll a dice for each model that makes a run or charge move across, or finishing on, a Sylvaneth Wyldwood...' 

Nowhere does this mention straight up movement. I brought this up with him and he insisted that was how it was done when he played others, including other sylvaneth players.

He's very reasonable and I enjoy playing him but who is in the right here? 

My gaming buddy plays Sylvaneth and is more experienced than I. I've naturally tried to learn as much as I could about his army's rules, especially since I wasn't too confident about playing around his wyldwoods. I was told that any movement ending on, or run or charge across or ending on the wood would cause non heroes to die on a roll of 1.

You've taken the right approach.

Shame that your buddy doesn't know his own core rules.

One other important distinction is that you roll for the particular models in question, so if the Starsoul Mace dude or the Champion charges onto the Wyldwood, then you roll for those particular models in question. You don't treat this as allocating damage. 

25 minutes ago, Nico said:

You've taken the right approach.

Shame that your buddy doesn't know his own core rules.

One other important distinction is that you roll for the particular models in question, so if the Starsoul Mace dude or the Champion charges onto the Wyldwood, then you roll for those particular models in question. You don't treat this as allocating damage. 

He claimed this was how he and other Sylvaneth players played this. But I'll have to try and convince him of the exact wording and intention of this rule. 

It's quite problematic because I've been playing really scared around the woods. And I play ogors so have a possible move of up to 12" including rampaging destroyers. So using the wyldwoods right I should be able to navigate them much more easily.

6 hours ago, Mossback said:

Run across the woods=roll.

Charge across the woods=roll.

End movement on the woods=roll.

Hero or Monster=don't roll.

Sylvaneth=don't roll.

Run or charge. It does not say "moves across or ends on". I do not agree. Please explain where in this wording that ending movement upon the wood factors in.

Screenshot_20170406-111629.png

He claimed this was how he and other Sylvaneth players played this. But I'll have to try and convince him of the exact wording and intention of this rule. 

It's quite problematic because I've been playing really scared around the woods. And I play ogors so have a possible move of up to 12" including rampaging destroyers. So using the wyldwoods right I should be able to navigate them much more easily.

It's this kind of thing that gives Sylvaneth players a bad name and encourages demands for more nerfs. It must be frustrating.

1 hour ago, Mossback said:

See that little part, right after it says, "a run or charge move across"? It says finishing on. That means if you finish a move on the Sylvaneth Wyldwood. It is pretty clear to me that any movement short of a normal movement pace, or ending up your movement on the woods will result in a roll.

So would you say that models who run or charge and finish their run/charge on the wyldwood do not have to roll? Only those going across it?

Seeing as you are saying that "run or charge across" and "or finishing on" are separate conditions, I suppose that would make sense by that logic, right? 

39 minutes ago, TheInsideMan said:

I think charging from 1 ww into another would require 2 rolls per model though.

One Wyldwood is a cluster of 3 woods with a rough diameter of 12", so if you have two Wyldwoods close to each other I'd argue you're playing them somewhat wrong.

Technically you're right, but it's unlikely anyone can charge or will charge across 2 Wyldwoods in one charge roll :)

Just now, TheInsideMan said:

agreed, i often have 2 ww consisting of 2 citadel woods between myself and opponent. more common that you'd think!

Then you're of course right. If they are individual Wyldwoods and people are silly enough to charge over both, then they also deserve to roll twice for each model

5 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

Run or charge. It does not say "moves across or ends on". I do not agree. Please explain where in this wording that ending movement upon the wood factors in.

Screenshot_20170406-111629.png

See that little part, right after it says, "a run or charge move across"? It says finishing on. That means if you finish a move on the Sylvaneth Wyldwood. It is pretty clear to me that any movement short of a normal movement pace, or ending up your movement on the woods will result in a roll.

2 minutes ago, Mossback said:

Mossback I agree with you, however the community consensus is clear. Until a FAQ comes along it think its hard to argue such vague wording. If we are wrong then its dreadful composition. 

10 minutes ago, Mossback said:

See that little part, right after it says, "a run or charge move across"? It says finishing on. That means if you finish a move on the Sylvaneth Wyldwood.

Sorry mate, but that's false. It says "...makes a run or charge move across, or finishing on, a Sylvaneth Wyldwood" - The 'finishing on' is the alternative to 'move across' for both run and charge. This is the agreed rule in all tournaments including Wyldwoods.

1 minute ago, TheInsideMan said:

Mossback I agree with you, however the community consensus is clear. Until a FAQ comes along it think its hard to argue such vague wording. If we are wrong then its dreadful composition. 

It is not that complicated if you think of it as logic gates. There are basically two OR gates at play. The first OR gate has "Run" and "Charge" as inputs. If either of these conditions are true, then you have a One output. The Second OR gate has the input from the first OR gate as an input (Run or Charge, if true, =1), and the second input is "Finish On". If you have a true input from the first OR gate, or a true input from the "Finishes On" input, you have a True output. 

The point of the rule is to stay out of the woods, as it is deadly terrain. If you run through the woods or charge through them, then you are going to anger the spirits in the woods and they may kill you. If you linger in the woods, and are not a Sylvaneth, Hero, or Monster, the spirits of the woods may kill you.

25 minutes ago, Aggesut said:

Sorry mate, but that's false. It says "...makes a run or charge move across, or finishing on, a Sylvaneth Wyldwood" - The 'finishing on' is the alternative to 'move across' for both run and charge. This is the agreed rule in all tournaments including Wyldwoods.

Someone's opinion is never wrong as its their opinion not yours. One person is not more valid than another. Let's please respect each other.

This discussion could be easily avoided with a clearer warscroll. 

1 hour ago, Aggesut said:

It's just bad wording from GW (as per usual) 

Not to be all grammar king or whatevs, but don't blame GW on this one.  The sentence is accurately constructed to convey the rule. 

It's the inability of others to understand clauses that is the issue.  

In my job,  I must write to a 6th grade reading level - basically assuming that people are uneducated.  If GW takes any blame here,  it is maybe for giving their players too much credit for being able to comprehend the language.

Archived