The SCGT Preparation Thread - Destruction Edition!

DeadlySarcasm

Hi all , hoping to be at SCGT was very late trying to get tickets but fingers crossed , will be popping in even if i cant play [emoji4]
I have a themed army which im franticly working on which incs
Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Tyrant (160)
- Club Basher or Slicer & Brace of Ogre Pistols
Butcher (140)

Battleline
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Leadbelchers (320)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Total: 2000/2000

Not played much AoS match play , so if list is wrong please let me know , and i know its not strongest , just themed [emoji4]

I think you need 1 more battleline unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just over a week now guys! Hopefully you're all on target to get what you want done!

I have managed to get the wyvern finished, with just the rider to go (will get some pics up when its all done).

Realm gates are also completed now, and almost all of the grots have been rebased (got 20 left to do, will do them at lunch time). So left on the list then.

• Wyvern Rider
  • 5 Brutes
  • 2 Spear Chukkas
  • Paint Hills
  • Paint details on Tower (wood is all done)

Writing it out actually there isn't a HUGE amount of stuff left to do, and if I keep plugging at it daily like I have been, I'll get it all finished in no time!

2 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

(got 20 left to do, will do them at lunch time)

Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Not more hobby at work?! You crazy man!

Really impressed at how quickly you've cracked through this stuff, you'll be done with time to spare I reckon. The Wyvern is looking great. You've put me to shame considering I've had mine sat in a box since before it was even released! Really should get it done.

You bringing it down to Dogger HQ this evening?

8 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Not more hobby at work?! You crazy man!

Really impressed at how quickly you've cracked through this stuff, you'll be done with time to spare I reckon. The Wyvern is looking great. You've put me to shame considering I've had mine sat in a box since before it was even released! Really should get it done.

You bringing it down to Dogger HQ this evening?

Ha, yea! No hobby shame for me! I'm fortunate enough that I have colleagues who are cool with it, and some are quite interested as well.

Setting a deadline and keeping TGA/Twitter updated with my progress has done wonders for my motivation! Really pleased with myself. 

Wyvern will be down at Dogger HQ tonight, got a practice game vs James the scaffolder, see if I can take off the beastmen!

18 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Ha, yea! No hobby shame for me! I'm fortunate enough that I have colleagues who are cool with it, and some are quite interested as well.

You can't write this down in a way that won't make me shudder to my core!! :S 

18 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

got a practice game vs James the scaffolder, see if I can take off the beastmen!

There's gotta be a joke you could've made there...perhaps something along the lines of taking them down, as a scaffolder puts stuff up. I dunno. I feel if I'm explaining it, it's no good haha!! :P 

Regardless, you'll destroy him IMO. Spear Chukka off the WLC ASAP, then prioritise the support Leaders. You beat him in combat across the board, so long as it's on your terms...just don't over commit to too many combats at once, things like the Bestigor and Bullgor do pack a punch.

38 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Think he's got 2 WLCs, so going to take some damage from one of them. Hopefully I'll be able to TAKE THEM OFFF(!!!) quickly enough !

Depending on his target selection these could be an issue tbh. Do you know which of the SCGT Battleplans you are playing yet?

Also, I think you profile pic needs an update. You know which pic! #noshameworkhobby ~shudder~

56 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Depending on his target selection these could be an issue tbh. Do you know which of the SCGT Battleplans you are playing yet?

Also, I think you profile pic needs an update. You know which pic! #noshameworkhobby ~shudder~

Not yet, I've said I want to play 4, 5 or 6 though.

#WorkHobbyIsBestHobby

On 09/04/2017 at 0:24 AM, Chris Thompson said:

Hi all , hoping to be at SCGT was very late trying to get tickets but fingers crossed , will be popping in even if i cant play :)

I have a themed army which im franticly working on which incs

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Tyrant (160)
- Club Basher or Slicer & Brace of Ogre Pistols
Butcher (140)

Battleline
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Leadbelchers (320)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Total: 2000/2000

Not played much AoS match play , so if list is wrong please let me know , and i know its not strongest , just themed :)

Finaly finished my "starwars" themed force for SCGT , not gonna get custom terrain made in time tho :( , but may try to sneak in a few different opions .

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Chris Thompson said:

Finaly finished my "starwars" themed force for SCGT

Star Wars themed? How so?! Intriguing.

In other news, I can barely win a game under the SCGT battleplans. I really want to update my own thread before the weekend, but here's what my record looks like out of my 10 practice games;

2 Major Victories
1 Draw
3 Minor Losses
4 Major Losses

:S 

Haven't been able to practice scenarios 4 or 5 (and have no time this week to do so). Is there anyone who can provide some reports advice on these scenarios? In particular, scenario 5 with the realm gates.

do you try to throw your entire army into your realm gate to try and smash into your opponent turn 1?

Is defense better than offense for this scenario?

Any tips on defending realm gates from people teleporting to them?

Still need to play scenario 5, and wont have a chance now until the Friday night after we get there. Any idea what time the hall is open till on the Friday?

So excited about this, and less than a week! How is everyone doing with their painting? I've got 5 brutes and 2 spear chukkas to finish, and the brutes are nearly done! All my terrain is now done as well, which is awesome. I've put some videos up on twitter if you want to see.

Hopefully I'll get to meet loads of awesome new people at SCGT!

@Caffran101;

Battleplan 4 - It's key to note how large the quadrants are. You can use your own support units to hug your deployment zone and still protect yours (by nudging forward obviously). Mark out the centre point on the table with a cross shape and be clear at all times with your opponent which units are in which quadrant (to avoid nasty surprises either way). I think this is a nice one for Destruction in general as it allows us to play to our strengths. Just beware of the Shattered Dominion rule when it comes to charging!! Oh, obvious I know, but don't forget a single character counts as a scoring unit!

Battleplan 5 - If you get an opportunity to claim their objective by virtue of Battleline, go for it. Conversely, don't allow your opponent to do the same. Target opponents Battleline and keep yours safe. Avoid unnecessary Realmgate journeys; it's fun, but random. Also don't forget that your models die on a 1 and the 'gates themselves generate 2 mysterious terrain types each turn! You can play turn one like Border War (GHOUL PATROL!) without risking 'gate travel. You don't want to be overly defensive as then you bring the opponent onto you. I would probably utilise the 'gates a little as possible to reduce the random. That said they do allow you to stay in game by risking it later on if it's looking bad.

@Chris Tomlin

Thank you for your wise words.

20 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Battleplan 4 - Mark out the centre point on the table with a cross shape and be clear at all times with your opponent which units are in which quadrant (to avoid nasty surprises either way).

Such a good idea! I hope that a lot of people pick up on this piece of advice (just to ensure a cleaner game).

Question / thoughts about scenario - when the deadly terrain appears on your side of the board do you play the defensive game? I.e let your opponent charge over it. Alternatively, when deadly terrain appears on their side of the board, do you again play defensively, or take the risk? Obviously both questions come down to the state of play - but I wonder whether it is possible to use the deadly terrain to your advantage?

20 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Battleplan 5 - Also don't forget that your models die on a 1 and the 'gates themselves generate 2 mysterious terrain types each turn! 

Had a quick flick through the rules pack - there are tournament specific rules for using realm gates: one a 1 the other player opponent chooses which realmgate the unit appears at. So there is less risk going on a magic realmgate ride.

My thoughts are to put a ring of battleline around your home realmgate (dont want anything scary popping out of there). I also wouldnt bother using the "home" gates to fly to either of the side gates. 

I think your advice about targeting the opponents battleline is very sound. If you deal with the battleline it makes your job that little bit easier.

Risk play - turn 4 or 5 - throw all the battleline into the realm gates to try and pop out of your opponents one (lotsa points!). If they fail to come out of that one they will still appear at the other gates and can still claim points for them.

3 hours ago, Caffran101 said:

Had a quick flick through the rules pack - there are tournament specific rules for using realm gates: one a 1 the other player opponent chooses which realmgate the unit appears at. So there is less risk going on a magic realmgate ride.

Read it again ;) 

Last night of painting boys (and girls), whos still got stuff to finish?

I managed to get all my painting finished last night, so I'm hobby free for a couple of days, which is awesome! This also means that I'm able to get a practice game in tonight with my brother (hooray!), unfortunately he doesn't want to play the only plan I haven't played yet (boo!).

I'm hoping I can get a pickup game with someone at the venue on the Friday to do the realm gate mission, as its the only one I haven't played, and by all accounts its probably the only one you definitely want to have played before hand... eugh...

Hope everyone's almost there!

See you all at south coast. Make sure you check out @Chris Tomlins SCGT17 destruction bros thread and introduce yourself if you haven't already.

x

Bit late to the party but I suddenly decided earlier this week that I would do some work for the event.

So over the last couple of nights I've been feverishly working away on my Weirdnob Shaman to try and improve him a bit and last night I start adding some more highlights to my Cabbage (more details and photos in my thread). Tonight I will have to finish off the work I started on the Cabbage (probably another two hours painting straight lines :S) and I guess I need to sort out some terrain, so will have some drybrushing to do no doubt!!

It seems it's impossible to not be working right up to the deadline (I've done literally nothing for weeks!).

Also got work tomorrow. Urgh.

Archived