Test Models - quick question

Soulsmith

Hey guys, was just wondering what you guys do in terms of a test model for a new army/scheme? Do you use a hero that inspires the army for you, or a standard trooper? I am asking as when my competition ends I am going to take a painting break from greenskinz to do the first model or unit of my DoT army (Don't worry, back to orruks after). So I am contemplating whether to get a tzaangor shaman, normal tzaangors or enlightened/skyfires. Acolytes seems like a lot of models for now, though I could do some. So yeah, tips and what do you guys do!

44 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Hey guys, was just wondering what you guys do in terms of a test model for a new army/scheme? Do you use a hero that inspires the army for you, or a standard trooper? I am asking as when my competition ends I am going to take a painting break from greenskinz to do the first model or unit of my DoT army (Don't worry, back to orruks after). So I am contemplating whether to get a tzaangor shaman, normal tzaangors or enlightened/skyfires. Acolytes seems like a lot of models for now, though I could do some. So yeah, tips and what do you guys do!

I think a standard troop is probably the best indicator for me as I tend to experiment with heroes or make them stand out. Best to do a test model on what you will be painting the most? A lot can be argued for a model that is easily stripped of paint after in case you intend to go for a differnt scheme after seeing it however.

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

"Tzaangor"?  That's a funny way to spell "orc".  O.o

11322164484_a91cb6613f_b.jpg

Standard for me as well. I always leave my heroes at the end, that way a) I maximize the chances of the them looking the best (having perfected/honed my painting technique(s) for the army; and b) it is personal motivation to get the units done faster (painting the heroes being like a special treat).

That's not to say that you can experience too much with a 'standard' model - whether he is from a unit of 5 or 10, in the end i need all of the models and so i feel like I need to get it right the first time...

I prefer a troop model. If you plan to go deep on arcanites, then the tzaangor should give you all the surfaces you need to try the test scheme on while leaving you an easy hole to fill if you hate the scheme.

Yeah I am thinking of going majority arcanites, there isn't a list I've written without tzaangors.

I go for a model that inspires me. I hate to dip plastic models so I plan ahead and live with the results. It may be a hero, a UL, or just some random Joe I like the look of. It's never a SB as I tend to save those for later (not sure why) and it's normally not a musician because they never inspire me, I just don't like most of them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived