Tzeentch Fatemaster as a Wizard?

Veillotron

Hello All, 

I would like to know if Fatemasters can become Wizard through either the Arch-sorcerer Command Trait or through the Arcane Cabal Battalion Warscroll?

the I have decided to convert the new Ahriman model into a Fatemaster. I initially thought that I would replace his "magical" hand with a shield, but if Fatemaster can become wizards I might keep it as is, as I like how GW has sculpted the effect.

I know that the Fatemaster is a warrior and does not have the Wizard key word. However, the character does seem to have some magical ability, being able to alter destiny through his Lord of Fate ability. In the Path to Glory Reward table, it is stated clearly that a Tzeentch Champion (including Fatemaster) can become a Wizard (the "Secret of Sorcery" ability from the Exalted Reward of Tzeentch Table). So, from a 'fluff' perspective, it seems that Fatemaster have in the past acquired some magical abilities.

More importantly, in the Arcane Cabal Battalion Warscroll (which can include a Fatemaster), it is written: "Each model from an Arcane Cabal that is within 9" of at least two other models from the same battalion in your hero phase can attempt to cast one additional spell". So, in the case of a Fatemaster, is it 0+1 spell, or is it 0 because he is not a Wizard?

Same question for the Arch-sorcerer command ability, enabling the General to generate two additional spells from the Lore of Fate.

As much as I would like the Fatemaster to be able to cast spells (it would make the model that much more attractive), my gut feel the rules have not been written with that intent. In the text of both the Arch-sorcerer command trait and the Arcane Cabal war scroll, it does not say clearly that the rule only applies to Wizards; however, in the "Secrets of Sorcery" reward table, it does say clearly that "if your champion is not a WIZARD, they become a WIZARD instead!" If they had really wanted the Fatemaster to become a wizard, I think that they would have made it as clear as in the Secrets of Sorcery text...

Wishful thinking, but hopefully someone can convince me otherwise...

The Arcanite Cabal battalion does not make him a wizard.

He does still count as one of the models to give any other wizards in the Cabal and extra spell though.

He also can still be the Master of the Cult, if you decide to use any Destiny Dice for his attacks or saves, you will get the chance to replenish the die.

5 hours ago, Choombatta said:

The Arcanite Cabal battalion does not make him a wizard.

He does still count as one of the models to give any other wizards in the Cabal and extra spell though.

He also can still be the Master of the Cult, if you decide to use any Destiny Dice for his attacks or saves, you will get the chance to replenish the die.

Not the one I was hoping for, but thank you for the response.

Yeah, sadly having spells does not make one a Wizard.

Still, I prefer having a Fatemaster in my Cabal supporting the Magisters, gives you a fast moving combat hitter, who can move in support of the Enlightened Tzaangor, Chaos Knights or Chaos Charriots

16 hours ago, Lucio said:

Yeah, sadly having spells does not make one a Wizard.

Still, I prefer having a Fatemaster in my Cabal supporting the Magisters, gives you a fast moving combat hitter, who can move in support of the Enlightened Tzaangor, Chaos Knights or Chaos Charriots

Oh, I'm 110% sure that I'm having a Fatemaster (if not two) in my Tzeentch army... I really like the character and his abilities. It would have been an added bonus to give him a spell or two.

I think that this has been discussed before, but having Archaon on horse and a few Fatemasters can create a very powerful combo i(a bunch of re-rolls) f the army is composed mainly of mortals.

Archived