Hero phase piling in attacking

LJ26

Question

I faced a Bonesplittaz army recently that could pile in and attack in the hero phase. My question is whether the unit piling in and attacking has to be within 3 inches of an enemy unit or can they simply move 3 inches and use thier weapons reach to hit something. Their big stabbaz have a 3 inch weapon range so do they effectively have a 6 inch threat bubble? 

7 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

IIRC - this formation came up somewhere else in the rules forum - beasts within 6" trigger it or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That may be true; I don't have the Bonesplitters book, so I'm just guessing on that. Regardless, that would require a specific indication allowing a greater pile-in activation range (beyond the traditional 3").

I know thier teef ruk allows them to pile in 6" but it was the wurgog prophets command ability that allowed them to do this. Its very clear that in the combat phase you cannot pile in unless an enemy unit is within 3 ". Logic would say this would hold true to piling In in the hero phase aswell

You can only pile into a combat. You can only ever get into a combat with a charge.

Piling in 6" means that, if one guy in the unit is at least 1/2" from the enemy, the guys farther back can pile in as much as 6" to get close to the enemy. It helps your unit pile toward the enemy faster in situations where the enemy unit you want to attack is far away from most of your units. 

big-stabbaz can never attack unless they are part of a unit that has made a successful charge, and there are enemy models within 3" of its unit at the start of the combat phase (or hero phase if they are attacking in the hero phase)

The Teef Rukk battalion overrides the 3" rule (expressly replaces it with a test of whether you are within 6" of a Monster). This happens in the hero phase (but is an unusual type of rule).

I have wondered in the past about other rules which say you can pile in and attack in the hero phase (Kunning Rukk only allows for the pile in and attack option if you are in fact within 3" of an enemy units) - probably the intention is that you cannot do this unless you are within 3" even when the rule is silent on the point (unlike Kunning Rukk).

Don't forget about Yhettees who have I believe a unique rule about piling in if they are within 6" (well unique on the Warscroll, it's replicated by the Teef Rukk).

Archived