Zombies Models.

Uveron

I have not been a fan of the plastic zombies. (Maybe apart from the first year or two of production). I am now looking at what I would want if I expand my Death Army’s.  Now I play mostly in GW stores so I want to use GW models.

Iam sure this is a common conversation, so has anyone had some great thoughts? I was thinking about using the Warriors of the Dead models from the LotR/HSBG line (See Below). But clearly unit of 30+ of these are best but with no alternate poses possible that would give me 3 repeats of each model, Now I can do some weapon swapping which will help but I would still rather find another solution…

99121466006_WarriorsoftheDeadNEW01.jpg

So thoughts?

Well, the Mantic Zombies dont work in places that I need to use GW models. As for the Army of the Dead, my plan was not to use shields, rust up the armour and concentrate on the fabrics. But they do have skin not bone so I can see them as a zombie type, but I see your point. 

There are two things about the LotR line, one of which is hearsay:

The LotR/Hobbit models are different size and scale. They hold more life-like proportions, and are generally smaller;

I've heard that GW mandates its employees to discourage people from using LotR/Hobbit models when playing in their stores. This is apparently due to some licensing agreement.

Those are cool models, though. 

Someone I play with uses Zombicide models. The size and price are right, though they are modern looking. You can paint/scrape/greenstuff around it though:

Zombicide-1.jpg

Another option is to do a little converting work on any old human models (missing limbs, green stuff organs falling out, etc.) and paint them with rotten skin tones and blood everywhere. Flagellants and the Bretonnian Peasant kits are particularly good for this as they already have a ragged look to them, but you can use pretty much any human infantry you like.

Of course this all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to spend on such a throwaway unit :D

Well....improve your skills? I know, reading this might sound a bit harsh at the beginning, but you will get a much more pleasing result in the end and zombies are a good way to start. First of all, let me say, that I am actually quite a fan of the old zombie models, as I feel they have a nice comicbook touch to them. But in general I like to use them as conversion bits. Combining other models with parts of the zombies usually works, or, if you really try to avoid them, just "damage" other models and paint them up like they`re dead. I did thes mostly with my old Blood Bowl undead stuff. Wont spam your thread with pics, so just take a look at some of the conversions at my superold cmon-account, if your interested: http://www.coolminiornot.com/305389?browseid=193830

Improving your paintskills is also easy on zombies, as you can try out a lot without havong the thought "Man, it might look really crappy". Zombies are learner minis, where you can try out what it feels like to go with, let`s say a two component basecoat priming, or how it would look lige basecoating it al white and just play around with a bunch of washes, adding highlights on a few interesting spots, or how it would look like working on the mini with layering all colors.

In the end it is a decision you`ll have to make: do you just want to play, or do you want to paint? If you want both, you simply have to accept, that you`ll have to put some work into it. From my opinion, it`s worth it.

Yeah I like to create armies and play when I can, but the fact is I just don't have the time, with work, sports and child just gets too much so finding couple hours a week for hobby is hard to find.  I wish I could find more time to hobby I do enjoy it and hopr I get a bit better, I'm enjoying the army I'm doing and think it looks ok just taking a long time even with the simple paint job

Well, I`m in the same situation, but I found it helpful to be really dedicated to one army. You don`t throw out money all the time and what you have will at least be at a great standard level. In the end, if you know the situation is not bearable for you, then you can`t really do anything about it, if you don`t change/adjust it ;)

That said, the outcome of the army is of course entirely up to you - it`s what you want in the end. Anyway, I`ll keep looking to see how your army develops.

5 hours ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Well....improve your skills? I know, reading this might sound a bit harsh at the beginning, but you will get a much more pleasing result in the end and zombies are a good way to start. 

The phrase "polishing a ******" comes to mind when telling people to git gud so that they can make the zombie models not look awful.

If 'Eavy Metal can't make them look good, then I don't think you can accuse people of not trying hard enough. You may like the aesthetic, but a lot of people don't want "comicbook."

9 hours ago, Davariel said:

the Bretonnian Peasant kits are particularly good for this as they already have a ragged look to them, but you can use pretty much any human infantry you like.

They aren't sold anymore though?

9 hours ago, Davariel said:

Another option is to do a little converting work on any old human models (missing limbs, green stuff organs falling out, etc.) and paint them with rotten skin tones and blood everywhere. Flagellants and the Bretonnian Peasant kits are particularly good for this as they already have a ragged look to them, but you can use pretty much any human infantry you like.

Of course this all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to spend on such a throwaway unit :D

Well I dont mind doing this, but with the Bret Peasant kit OOP. I cannot find a good base for the models. 

@CoffeeGrunt

The phrase "polishing a ******" comes to mind when telling people to git gud so that they can make the zombie models not look awful.

If 'Eavy Metal can't make them look good, then I don't think you can accuse people of not trying hard enough. You may like the aesthetic, but a lot of people don't want "comicbook."

As I am not a native speaker, I do not know that phrase, so whatever it is, it would be nice if you could explain. Additionally I feel I have expressed clearly enough, that this is not meant as an insult. There is many easy techniques and as you can see...

Improving your paintskills is also easy on zombies, as you can try out a lot without havong the thought "Man, it might look really crappy". Zombies are learner minis, where you can try out what it feels like to go with, let`s say a two component basecoat priming, or how it would look lige basecoating it al white and just play around with a bunch of washes, adding highlights on a few interesting spots, or how it would look like working on the mini with layering all colors.

...I have also given advice on the approach to get a better result fairly quick and easy.

If you feel that the `Eavy Metal team didn`t paint them up well, I am honored to get to know you here, as you must be quite a good painter. Me, I couldn`t paint these guys in that standard https://www.games-workshop.com/de-AT/Zombiehorde

But then again, it is a matter of taste. As you have mentioned, a lot of people don`t like comicbookstyle, then again, there must be a whole bunch of people that do, as (again, this is only my personal feeling) the AoS miniature range clearly seems to lean towards that direction.

Regardless of Dragon10`s choice I will follow his progress on his army. Am I allowed to CoffeGrunt?

No need to start getting sarcy, I was pointing out that the old zombies aren't much loved, and therefore most people don't like them. You can paint them as nicely as you like, but they are fundamentally still terrible models with noticeable shoulder gaps, oversized heads, and all the other great hallmarks of early plastic GW kits.

I never claimed to be better than 'Eavy Metal, I merely pointed out that even with their expertise, those zombies don't look very good. Washing over white won't change that, as there's no real detail on them to wash onto and it gives overly-contrasted tones for a zombie.

My point was that it sounded like you were insinuating that the OP is a substandard painter and this is why he doesn't want to take GW zombies, when I was pointing out that the zombie models are just awful and it's understandable if they want alternatives.

Nah, there was no need to get sarcastic, but I thought it`s a nicer way to react, than that phrase with the stars, as I can imagine what it actually means...

As for the paintquality, I believe I made myself clear now, that I haven`t had or do not have the intent of degrading anybodys standard of painting, as I respect every determined try to live the hobby as you see fit. But that should not be a barrier to give advice on improvement. Dragon10`s situation is actually well known to me. I do have a regular job, a wife, a child and do live kind of a parallel life in the field of sports as a coach.

Back to the zombies. There is some pro`s and con`s for the minis. The mentioned shoulder gaps I usually just filled with glue, but the ectuall "ball" on the shoulder gives the possibility to readjust the arm to a more dynamic pose. Something I`d actually like to see on newer minis. I covered up the slightly weird position of the shoulder with some padding, when I made my Blood Bowl players. I guess @Dragon10 could still mix parts of them with other miniatures he owns. If I got it right, he has the zombies anyway. So why throw money out of the window and not simply replace the visually lacking parts with parts from other models? Dragon, do you have leftovers of other minis? I usually never throw stuff away. Sometimes it is satisfying to just grab random stuff and glue it together. I did so with this Blood Bowl mini, which I gave away for people doing a legacy team:

The other possibility is to take complete miniatures you have and just dammage them a little bit with a ....dremel...damn what the english word for that? Anyways, it`s kind of a small drillingmachine. After that, just paint the minis "dirty" so they look like just rising from the dead.

Archived