Trying to decide: Stormcast or Fyreslayers?

wayniac

So, indecisive person I am, I am thinking of doing a second AOS army as I'm a little tired/frustrated with GA: Death at the moment.  I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of these two, but I can't quite figure out which one I'd like better.  I really did not like the "huge horde" and "drown enemy in dice" approach with my Flesh-Eater Courts, neither from a monetary standpoint or from a playstyle (just charging forward every turn and then hoping my opponent fails enough saves after I roll a bucket of dice is not enjoyable to me).  From a fluff standpoint I like both of these armies, the only sticking point has been playing against other Order armies (few Sylvaneth players) but there are ways I could justify that.

I really like the Fyreslayers Magmadroth model (much more than the Stardrake, for example) but it seems they are closer to a horde of guys, albeit not a horde of 6+ dudes who just run up the board and die in waves like the ghouls.  With the points reduction, they seem even more like a horde, since you A) want Vulkites in 20+ and B) the reduction means you can take a good number.  While I have no doubt that a horde of angry naked dwarfs plays different to a horde of angry naked Ghouls, I'm not sure of that aspect of the army.  There's also the fact that, out of being a good gamer citizen, I tend to prefer smaller points and a 4x4 table since my GW (where I play) only has one 8x4 AOS table and I'd feel bad hogging 6x4 all the time (although I think I need to come to grips with the fact it's not my problem).  Also I have a cool, albeit probably overused, color scheme idea in that I want to paint them like D&D Duergar (i.e. coal black skin with red eyes) and fluff them to be not corrupted, but basically morally ambiguous.

On the other hand, Stormcast seem like they are a pretty elite, generally lower model count army, which really appeals to me because, as stated above, I dislike horde armies that swarm the table with dudes.  There's also the unspoken benefit, that being that as the "poster boy" army there's a pretty good chance they will always be solidly supported by GW with frequent, strong releases.  Fluffwise I find them a little bland sometimes, but after reading City of Secrets I really want to try my hand at the Knights Excelsior (who, it dawned on me recently, are basically the AoS version of the World Eaters!) if I can paint white.  Although it would be hard to justify in some cases fighting against other Order players (other Stormcast in particular) it's something I can live with for the sake of a game.

So basically are Fyreslayers as much of a horde army as they look?  Because if so, I think I'll go with Stormcast just because I don't want a horde army or anything resembling it, and there is something really cool about "vengeful angels from the heavens" that isn't matched by "angry fire dwarfs with axes"

19 minutes ago, wayniac said:

So basically are Fyreslayers as much of a horde army as they look?  Because if so, I think I'll go with Stormcast just because I don't want a horde army or anything resembling it, and there is something really cool about "vengeful angels from the heavens" that isn't matched by "angry fire dwarfs with axes"

Yes, close to 100 models for strong lists.

Especially now after the points decrease. Good list will look something like this 96 models.

1    Auric Runefather    80
1    Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth    200
1    Auric Runemaster    80
1    Battlesmith    80
1    Auric Runesmiter    80
25    Vulkite Berserkers    300
30    Auric Hearthguard    480
10    Hearthguard Berserkers    160
-    Lords of the Lodge    160

41 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Especially now after the points decrease. Good list will look something like this 96 models.

1    Auric Runefather    80
1    Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth    200
1    Auric Runemaster    80
1    Battlesmith    80
30    Auric Hearthguard    480
10    Hearthguard Berserkers    160
-    Lords of the Lodge    160

That is going to LOOK impressive though. And it's great for objectives.

With stormcast you usually struggle with numbers unless you take their units that counter hordes.

I really like Stormcast though. I am biased. "Vengeful angels from the heavens" is about right! Even better they come in this ancient roman or greek flavour.

They are also just so OTT in many ways. With ridiculous names like the High Lord Perineum (do not google the high lord with safe search off!) and manchests abound you can play them as a spoof of themselves and have immense fun.

Addendum:

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

Although it would be hard to justify in some cases fighting against other Order players (other Stormcast in particular) it's something I can live with for the sake of a game.

I have been thinking about this and the more I think, the more reasons I come up with and the BETTER Stormcast lore becomes (for me).

See the Stormcast have a built in 'moral adjustment' system. Reforging changes them. To various degrees. The idea of 'Sigmar's Justice' can be warped (much like tyranny in the Emperor's name in 40k).

So for me it is easy to picture the following:

A chamber of even more elite stormcast (they have not died, and have not been reforged), dirty and tired, slogging along to a target city to liberate it.

They are delayed by whole seasons. They were part of a larger push into this realm with the rest of their glorious, righteous stormhost.  They met heavy resistance and all but this chamber were taken back to Azyr for reforging.

They reach the city and it has been besieged by their reforged allies who are now a bit, well, obtuse in their pursuit of Sigmar's justice. They've a new idea of what 'liberation' means.

The warband feels this is wrong and that the haggard survivors of this city are clean - as clean as any mortal. The rest of their reforged host believes no mortal is truly clean.

Which interpretation of Sigmar's justice prevails?

Also, the Knights Excelsior (which is the one I'm considering) seem very... black and white in their ideals.  I mean they do conduct purges of anyone suspected of being corrupt and kill them without mercy.  Could very easily come to blows similar to how Marine chapters sometimes clash over things.

6 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Also, the Knights Excelsior (which is the one I'm considering) seem very... black and white in their ideals.  I mean they do conduct purges of anyone suspected of being corrupt and kill them without mercy.  Could very easily come to blows similar to how Marine chapters sometimes clash over things.

Yeah, Sigmar has taken the greatest warriors and often times they prove to be wise. I don't however imagine that debate is emphasised over bludgeoning.

Oh!

Another one requiring next to no mental gymnastics:

When you play and remove casualties, there is no need to say they are fatalities. The Stormcast are playing at wargames in Azyrheim and it's only good training if it's hard and realistic.

Why not do both?

I started off with Stormcast but after playing a few months with them am aiming to expand into the Order faction a bit more. Think both have weaknesses which the other potentially can cover? Stormcast are low in number and suffer greatly to mortal wounds but can move very fast and bring some serious pain to bear, Fyreslayers are slow but have a lot of bodies and bezerkers particularly can stand up to mortal wounds.

1 hour ago, Fallen Angel said:

Why not do both?

I started off with Stormcast but after playing a few months with them am aiming to expand into the Order faction a bit more. Think both have weaknesses which the other potentially can cover? Stormcast are low in number and suffer greatly to mortal wounds but can move very fast and bring some serious pain to bear, Fyreslayers are slow but have a lot of bodies and bezerkers particularly can stand up to mortal wounds.

I agree,  leverage those grand alliances!

Archived