Making capes, any tips?

Kramer

Hi guys and girls,

I've seen a lot of great green stuff conversion jobs on this forum. I'm about to start a conversion heavy army and I'm looking for advice. I'm planning to make Greek capes, see picture, from scratch as I couldn't find any good bits. I'm thinking of starting off with green stuff, rolling it out, cutting it in a rough shape and then folding it around the shoulders of the models. But I have never done more than filling in gaps with green stuff or the odd shoulder/ankle. 

But I reckon somebody here has a better idea or some helpful tips. :D Thanks in advance

9e7af529ec258c3b977dc779bb6e089c.jpg

While I probably cant offer much advice this is a great place to start messing about with green stuff. A lot of your mistakes you can hide in the natural wavy shapes. 

I would recommend making your basic flat shape as you suggested and then adding sausage shaped lengths of greenstuff to the cape, and blending these into the ridges. I have had mixed success in the past with them, I think leaving your GS to cure for 45 minutes before hand is a definite and keep water and a cutting mat nearby so that you can manipulate the stuff without it getting too tacky. If you have GS in a strip, cut away the very centre part that the two colours touch, as this will have already reacted and will make for an uneven moulding. You can also change the properties by adding less or more of each colour to make it softer or depending on the detail you are working on. 

14 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

While I probably cant offer much advice this is a great place to start messing about with green stuff. A lot of your mistakes you can hide in the natural wavy shapes. 

I would recommend making your basic flat shape as you suggested and then adding sausage shaped lengths of greenstuff to the cape, and blending these into the ridges. I have had mixed success in the past with them, I think leaving your GS to cure for 45 minutes before hand is a definite and keep water and a cutting mat nearby so that you can manipulate the stuff without it getting too tacky. If you have GS in a strip, cut away the very centre part that the two colours touch, as this will have already reacted and will make for an uneven moulding. You can also change the properties by adding less or more of each colour to make it softer or depending on the detail you are working on. 

Thanks! Building the ridges on the cape is probably a better idea than folding it in the rights shapes. And I have never thought about the centre strip already having reacted. But of course that will happen. I will cut that away before I start. 

Archived