Flesh hounds - what base?

I've just bought flesh hounds from mail order, and they come with old warhammer rectangle bases, and some big round 40k ones (50mm?).

Having assembled one now on the 50mm, it just looks far too big. Now I think this is because these aren't by default, 'aos' bases. They are the bases meant for 40k that we have defaulted to adopting because gw hasn't given us a basing guide.

Ive been told that flesh hounds in 40k are damage sponges, so I can appreciate their standard monster base.

In aos though, flesh hounds aren't monsters, they don't have the monster keyword, and they only have 2 wounds with a 5+ save.

I recently happened to have bought a pack of assorted bases from gw and already I can see that the 35mm oval looks far more appropriate.

I know some of you may be thinking well maybe the standard these days is to have bases with a much wider footprint than the model's actual feet. But then look at the khorgorath on its oval. It barely fits it on. Its about the same model to base ratio as a blood warrior would be on a 25mm.

I honestly think gw hasn't given much thought to base sizes in aos, and didn't expect them to play a big part in the game hence the initial measure from model.

But the frontage of these flesh hounds is HUGE. I think I can literally fit as many skullcrushers side by side as I can flesh hounds.

So what am I meant to do here? I mean these are 40k bases but is this genuinely the accepted standard for aos? Any other model in aos of that size and wound profile is typically basic cavalry.

Ultimately I'll go along with the consensus but it feels like a massive shame to put them on these enormous 50mm monster bases :(

IMG-20170113-WA0015.jpeg

7 minutes ago, AGPO said:

Well the rules say stick your models on whatever base you like. Personally I have my Flesh Hounds on the old cavalry bases still as it makes storage easier. 

Yeah I know, but some people get really defensive around competitive play etc. I guess I was really asking to see if competitive players would have an issue

Archived