Grave Warden's - A Destruction project

Mohojoe

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update as im rushing to get this finished with two weeks left. As you can see I am clearly no painter yet and rushing is not helping that! Trying my hardest at the moment to try and tidy stuff up and get it looking half decent.

If I am honest I am really keen to get this project over with so I can start fresh on something new and actually take my time. 

a7a5f2c0b848e8fd716d80c421dfe8d5.jpg616cec80645f780692296b00df599161.jpge44f559fdac88b9e4aa32cecb49087d5.jpg0d66d7f0325346e43c7506f4f9af3a7e.jpgbdfa4c99fd6314a9d0aa2a610918ff6f.jpg3a631425c1b3e0f546b79e6fbdd8d89e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good! Only thing I would say is the horns of the arachnarok look a bit flat. Otherwise you're painting is so speedy it puts me to shame. Also I hate teh squishy bits on the arachnarok. Just finished those bits on mine and so much correction needed on the carapace.

Looking good! Only thing I would say is the horns of the arachnarok look a bit flat. Otherwise you're painting is so speedy it puts me to shame. Also I hate teh squishy bits on the arachnarok. Just finished those bits on mine and so much correction needed on the carapace.

Yeah definitely, I wanna say it's a speed paint job but I can't justify that when I have repainted it a few times haha. I will be honest, it has been my least favourite model to paint. The large flat areas have been more challenging for me than detail as any issues show up so vividly that it's hard to get it looking good

Totally not jealous of the airbrush. Not a bit. Honest. 

Give it.

Hah, they aren't too pricey really. The compressor I have is a scrappy little beauty type one but it is fine for now, the brush itself isn't too much either. The price came from getting the extractor fan and the mask, not wearing it during and after is a one way ticket to headache city, paint fumes suck. I spend more time cleaning it then painting though so apart from the big stuff that require it I won't be using it. Next thing would probably be maybe a Lord of change.

I don't really have the space for one in my current house. They look super fun though. I imagine for large models they are a bit easier. I must admit I'm fighting the urge to get into Tzeentch at the moment. So many good kits about that I can't settle on my next project

It is easier, in that I feel layering or drybrushing can give off the wrong texture or look too overworked. However, they are quite messy tools I wish I had a dedicated area for it. There was a good LoC on the facebook AoS fan group who was painted to Duncan's guide and looked great so might hold off airbrushing! Am looking forward to messing around with Tzeentch, sure you can't grab the odd horror off a bit seller etc?

53 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

It is easier, in that I feel layering or drybrushing can give off the wrong texture or look too overworked. However, they are quite messy tools I wish I had a dedicated area for it. There was a good LoC on the facebook AoS fan group who was painted to Duncan's guide and looked great so might hold off airbrushing! Am looking forward to messing around with Tzeentch, sure you can't grab the odd horror off a bit seller etc?

I was holding off because I think it will be difficult to paint, but maybe the challenge would do me good. Next project im gonna take my time on. I kinda want to find a semi decent list before pulling the trigger though

1 minute ago, Soulsmith said:

Yeah fair enough me too, I am still not sure how to do 1k of DoT, seems to be either tzaangors only or witchfyre.

I think what I really need to do is sit down with the battletome tonight and have a proper flick through. 

Looking forward to yours, you got a scheme in mind yet? I think im gonna go wash heavy over white for mine to give a more pale colour

9 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I think what I really need to do is sit down with the battletome tonight and have a proper flick through. 

Looking forward to yours, you got a scheme in mind yet? I think im gonna go wash heavy over white for mine to give a more pale colour

Yeah I think I know what I want, really it's cheaper to go for the witchfyre as two units of ten acolyte is one box. Yeah, I am planning on dark eldar esque green armour, grey skin on the beasts and daemons, which blends to purple/pink/blue/yellow (but muted) on tentacles etc. Humans will be pale white or brown skinned, I want a mix, and will tattoo white or black flames coming up from feet depending. Metal will be silver for weapons, trim in bronze. Spot colour purple, maybe purple fabric, but more a violet, muted pale colour.

Yeah I think I know what I want, really it's cheaper to go for the witchfyre as two units of ten acolyte is one box. Yeah, I am planning on dark eldar esque green armour, grey skin on the beasts and daemons, which blends to purple/pink/blue/yellow (but muted) on tentacles etc. Humans will be pale white or brown skinned, I want a mix, and will tattoo white or black flames coming up from feet depending. Metal will be silver for weapons, trim in bronze. Spot colour purple, maybe purple fabric, but more a violet, muted pale colour.

Sounds really good, particularly the grey to colour. I'm toying with the idea of something based on humboldt squid with the washed out red skin and slightly paler underbelly. No idea on anything other than skin though.

Cheers, I think before my ironjawz are done I will grab something to test the scheme out on, maybe a Tzaangor Shaman as taking one is a given. That sounds cool, I found these which is a nice scheme but I want snow bases and it's too pale:

842153.png

It's where I got the idea for blending the tentacles. you could get the same skin tone but with redder tones instead easy, it seems to be washed over a pale basecoat then layered back up leaving the crevices. Also it's different, and I like different.

29 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Cheers, I think before my ironjawz are done I will grab something to test the scheme out on, maybe a Tzaangor Shaman as taking one is a given. That sounds cool, I found these which is a nice scheme but I want snow bases and it's too pale:

842153.png

It's where I got the idea for blending the tentacles. you could get the same skin tone but with redder tones instead easy, it seems to be washed over a pale basecoat then layered back up leaving the crevices. Also it's different, and I like different.

Thats a really nice scheme actually, I love the blue head tentacles. I get the impression loads of Tzeentch stuff is not allowed in matched play or requires a summoning pool?

Nah everything is allowed, basically the big thing is splitting. Pink horror model dies it creates two blue. A blue model dies it becomes two brimstone. The issue is if this creates a new unit, it must cost points in matched. But if there is a below starting number of blues nearby and a pink dies it can replenish that unit of blues without costing points. Same with spells that create tzaangors and spawn, if it makes a new unit (spawn always will) it has to be paid for already. I am not too worried, the tzaangor shaman spell that creates tzaangor from slain models just cast on things your tzaangor are fighting, and leave blues near pinks or simply elect to not split on death.
Still very effective, apparently 30 strong tzaangor are horrendously strong, and skyfires are great. I just love the idea of a super strong mage army.

8 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Nah everything is allowed, basically the big thing is splitting. Pink horror model dies it creates two blue. A blue model dies it becomes two brimstone. The issue is if this creates a new unit, it must cost points in matched. But if there is a below starting number of blues nearby and a pink dies it can replenish that unit of blues without costing points. Same with spells that create tzaangors and spawn, if it makes a new unit (spawn always will) it has to be paid for already. I am not too worried, the tzaangor shaman spell that creates tzaangor from slain models just cast on things your tzaangor are fighting, and leave blues near pinks or simply elect to not split on death.
Still very effective, apparently 30 strong tzaangor are horrendously strong, and skyfires are great. I just love the idea of a super strong mage army.

Ah ok, I think if I do well in the upcoming tourney and get one of the store credit prizes I may treat myself to some then. I am really enjoying the battletome, so many artifacts and spells to play with. When you start your painting blog for these guys tag me in it, will be very interested to watch your progress :)

Archived