Claw spear vs scourge on hellstriders

Maddok

I'm planning on taking a small unit of 5 hellstriders in my GA chaos list for my next tournament, primarily for their -1 to hit banner. They have two weapon options availabile to them, and I'm torn between them. Normally I'd be all over the scourge due to its 3 inch reach - they can hide behind a unit of blood warriors and debuff whatever hits them while still attacking. But the -1 rend seems handy on the spears, and I have a hard time turning down rend. Plus with their speed, that could help them be late game hero assassins. 

Does anyone have any in game experience with these two weapon options? What would you suggest?

They are equally good against 4+ armor, with Spears a bit better against better armor and Scourges a bit better against worse (ignoring outside buffs and target rules that have to do with your Rend stat).

Overall, it's not going to make much difference either way. With a big unit (10+) I might give Scourges the pip but with only 5 models the 2" reach of Spears should be plenty. I would probably take the option I liked the look of.

I have a unit of 5 with scourges.  I have to believe that they've killed something at some point, but I don't remember it.  The scourges can be handy for getting a handful of attacks over the top of whatever unit you're supporting with the -1 to hit from the enrapturing standard.  If you want a chance at killing something (like another chaff unit), my instinct is that the clawspears are better- you should be getting the charge.

On that note, has anyone ever gotten the Soul Hunters rule to proc?  I've never pulled it off...

3 hours ago, Red_Zeke said:

I have a unit of 5 with scourges.  I have to believe that they've killed something at some point, but I don't remember it.  The scourges can be handy for getting a handful of attacks over the top of whatever unit you're supporting with the -1 to hit from the enrapturing standard.  If you want a chance at killing something (like another chaff unit), my instinct is that the clawspears are better- you should be getting the charge.

On that note, has anyone ever gotten the Soul Hunters rule to proc?  I've never pulled it off...

Yeah i got soul hunters off once in about ten games. But i lost two models in that combat against a weak unit (cant remember what exactly) so effectiveness was reduced. I now avoid getting them into combat

Archived