Cover

Kosmion

Question

yo!

i was wondering a little about exactly how cover works in some situations. it says in the rules

"If all models in a unit are within or on a terrain feature, you can add 1 to all save rolls for that unit to represent the cover they receive from the terrain" 

so does that mean if 39 models from a unit of 40 stands within/on cover but 1 does not, that entire unit does not get a cover save?

also i was wondering about shooting: do the firing unit need to see ALL of the models of the unit they´re targeting in order to be able to wipe it out completely, or will the damage determined only be spread out across the models visible to the shooters? ex. 5 of 10 models in my unit is visible to the enemy´s unit of 20 archers, the other 5 is behind cover. they manage to get 10 wounds off, and the models in my unit has 1 wound each. do i remove only the visible 5 models and 5 damage will sorta "overkill" them, or do i remove all 10 models?

thanks

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I've always felt units who have Shields get shafted by shooting. It's completely unrealistic to say they wouldn't lift their Shields up to defend themselves from the incoming arrows 

What? Of course they do, that's reflected by their Save roll.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:37 AM, Squirrelmaster said:

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of 39 guys bunkering down in a forest, behind a building, out of sight and in cover, all ruined because of that one guy.

Dammit, Gerry.

I prefer it like this too because otherwise it can get gamey with stringing units across the board so one guy is in buff range, one guy is in cover etc. 

46 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

The same save roll as guys without Shields get? Lol 

Depends which units you're talking about. Some shields provide the same bonuses against shooting as they do in combat, some provide a bigger bonus against combat but do work against shooting, some only work in combat.

I'm not aware of any that are shooting-only or better against shooting than combat, which I think would make more sense for some units.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Depends which units you're talking about. Some shields provide the same bonuses against shooting as they do in combat, some provide a bigger bonus against combat but do work against shooting, some only work in combat.

I'm not aware of any that are shooting-only or better against shooting than combat, which I think would make more sense for some units.

I can't find a single unit which specifically grants a bonus against shooting, and there's quite a few units whose Shields make up half to three quarters of their body. Those Shields should provide something 

6 hours ago, Arkiham said:

The same save roll as guys without Shields get? Lol 

No many units get bonus's for shields that are usually effected my movement. That's pretty realistic. The only thing that could do with changing is some shields only work in only one phase

6 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

I belive high elf spearmen are more geared towards ranged attacks

On 11 December 2016 at 2:19 PM, Arkiham said:

I can't find a single unit which specifically grants a bonus against shooting, and there's quite a few units whose Shields make up half to three quarters of their body. Those Shields should provide something 

skaven jezzails get 4+ save in the shooting phase if the did not move in the movement phase. i think dwarfs might have something similar too. but it is reflected in the warscroll description. like clanrats for example: they get a 5+ save rather than 6 against attacks with damage 1 and no rend, shooting or melee

Archived