Chaos Chariots Question

Agent of Chaos

The leader of a unit of slaves to darkness chaos chariots is a champion who gets +1 to hit with his melee weapon.

A unit of chariots can be any number of models.

This raises two questions;

1) If I have only one chariot in my army does it have a champion or does there need to be at least 2 chariots before one of them can have the unit leader with the hit bonus?

2) If I have 3 chariots and run them as 3 individual units instead of as a unit of 3, does that mean there is a champion in each chariot with +1 to hit?

It doesn't feel like this is the intention of the rule but am happy to take advantage of it if possible...

Sorry if theis highjacks the thread a little, but has anyone tried running units of 2-3 chariots?

Not saying they are the best, but for 80 points each for 7wounds, 4+ save and move8+D6  they seem pretty decent. Taking the greatblades gives you a little bit of rend at least! :-)

I have one painted and another unbuilt....

Thanks for responses all! Good news that each of my chariots can have a champion with +1 to hit bonus if I separate them. However now I see that keeping them as a unit helps them stay in range of a synergy/buff or means a spell affects all at once instead of only one so there is a tough decision to be made.

If I may lament for a moment, I don't know if it was 8th or even 7th edition but chariots, when they charged, used to do D6+2 St7 auto hits, wounding on 2+ with an armour save modifier of -4, and that was before the crew or steeds joined in. 3 of them were unstoppable on the charge. Now, you charge and the steeds get +1 to hit and wound... thats it. Bit sad really but then the good news is your opponent can't kill off the steeds individually to slow or cripple its movement and with 7 wounds, 4+ save and only 80pts they have morphed into a cheap, fast moving road block.

Gorebeast chariots do look a better option, which they should be for the extra points, however seeing as I already own 3 regular chariots I think I'll just try and make the most of them!

Turn one charge with MoN gorebeast chariots. +1 to hit re-roll charge from lord on mount, re-rolling wounds from war shrine.

Killed Old blood on carnosaur and his skink priest. Not bad for a 300 pt unit. They were eventually wiped out, but not before killing 1/2 of a unit of 20 temple guard as well.

I also brought two units of two regular chariots. One unit was destroyed, the other parked on an objective and was still around at games end even after being charged bt a unit of saurus and a unit of knights. (Actually it was Sayl who saved them....teleported 30 marauders to the rescue!) But I was happy with how they performed. It has to be noted that they absolutely MUST get the charge off if you intend for them to do any decent amount of damage. Sayl becomes almost essential here.

Archived