empire & Bretonnia synergies

Arbaal

Hi

I have a question about the keywords of the synergies and abilities of Bretonnia and the "new" empire

the question is simple:

all bretonnians warscroll are "FREE PEOPLE"

the revisited empire faction affect, with their abilities, the "FREE PEOPLES"

bretonnia can benefit?

Its the same as the old 'Ironjaws' vs 'Ironjawz' argument that got answered a while back. I'd certainly say there's no difference between the two and agree that only the worst kind of rules lawyer would take issue. Especially since the FAQ allows you to just say you are using the previous versions of the empire scrolls that didn't have the 's'. 

edit: this is already specifically answered in the FAQ. Says treat free people and free peoples as the same. 

@MrCharisma Yeah, I checked him out. The battleshock cover is an enormous advantage. However, I wonder if he is really worth 400 points listed in GHB. He seems to not be very hard hitting.

In any case in my gaming community it would be fine to proxy him and not use the exact GW sanctioned figure. As long as it is the same mount, weapons etc. it is no problem.

6 hours ago, Ravenwing said:

@MrCharisma Yeah, I checked him out. The battleshock cover is an enormous advantage. However, I wonder if he is really worth 400 points listed in GHB. He seems to not be very hard hitting.

In any case in my gaming community it would be fine to proxy him and not use the exact GW sanctioned figure. As long as it is the same mount, weapons etc. it is no problem.

I couldn't justify him at 400 points. I'd rather take my Carmine Dragon or another Celestial Hurricanum for those types of points. 

I'll stick to a standard Free Guild General with Hold the Line! 

On 25/11/2016 at 0:17 PM, MrCharisma said:

The Karl Franz equivalent of Bretonnia. Good luck finding him at a decent price

The actual model dosent really do him justice. I just field a custom model (Island of blood hippogryoh with bret lord on top) as a generic bretonnian lord on hippogryph (Which uses louens warscroll)

17 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I couldn't justify him at 400 points. I'd rather take my Carmine Dragon or another Celestial Hurricanum for those types of points. 

I'll stick to a standard Free Guild General with Hold the Line! 

Fair enough. But his ability to hit hard isent what makes him so good.

Its the ability to unbind a spell, remove battleshock, further buff nobility, heal D3 wounds, Fly, Become much stronger when he id charging and against monster & heros.

and on top of that he dosent hit like a wuss.

i wouldnt throw him into the thick of comabt unless i had to. However the beauty of him is you can move him into the best position to synergies and support you army without you having to immediatly worry about his safety.

Then at a crucial moment his not inconsiderable hitting power can really sway a battle.

Oh boy! Monsieur Leonceour . . .

I have wanted very much to field this guy in a 2000pt list lately! Everything about him screams Bretonnia!!! He is the king of Bretonnia, the blood of Gilles!

However, as excited as I am to put him on the field and have him lead my Knights, even still they seemed to give Bretonnia the shaft after 14 years of neglect because the same problem remains in wanting to field this guy: is he worth it? He doesn't quite make the cut in many peoples lists. I too have a problem with fielding him at 400 pts. Yes, he makes my entire army immune to battleshock, even after dropping 400pts and yes he has pretty good abilities as aforementioned.

But at the moment, I field the three Heroes of Bretonnia in my list: (1) Bretonnian Lord on Pegasus taking Strategic Genius along w/ Quicksilver Potion, (1) Fey Enchantress, and (1) Damsel of the Lady. That alone is a tax I am willing to pay because I find it pretty necessary to have a 5+ defensive roll against mortal and unsaved wounds and the ability to cast mystic shield on a 2+ automatically and can't be unbound. ;) I cast it all on one block of knights and cycle their charges. Now, those three heroes are 400 pts together. Amongst the Fey Enchantress and the Damsel they can both unbind spells and heal D3 and 1 wound(s) respectively. The Fey Enchantress can cast two spells, one of which is pretty much an auto cast and one does King Louen's Command Ability granting +1 to hit on the charge, but better because it grants +2 to hit in the combat round(s) not just the one they charged in. The damsel is just a straight up support unit as she gives a unit a 6+/5+ defensive roll against mortal and unsaved wounds. The Bretonnian Lord can either make two units immune to battleshock or make one immune and allow most units re-roll their charge at the same time and on can potentially do just as much damage as the King. It just seems very difficult justifying the investment into King Louen, when they made it easy for me to field three characters in his place and get a LOT more out of them. Having more characters plays well too in scenarios where you might need more support characters too. 

Now, on the other hand, the two ways I think I can get King Louen to work is twofold:

Option One, I take all knights and drop the other heroes. Louen will then grant everyone immune to battleshock and then use his Command Ability so most likely all units of Knights will be able to hit on 2+ and wound on 3+ on their charges. Or, I can take him and the Fey Enchantress & Damsel, but i figure at that price point I won't have the core bodies of Knights I will need to make him worth it.

Second Option, I can take the Freeguild State Regiment Battalion and fill the army with Freeguild troops. Once, I include King Louen that might make him a lot more worth his 400pts as he will grant the immunity to battleshock for the entire army. In this case, I think King Louen's warscroll should have just been carried over and made into a Freeguild character as opposed to King Louen. The synergy doesn't match up with Bretonnia as it does the Freeguild and if this is the only viable build in which the King is fielded, it kind of makes me sad. 

But please, respond and let me know what synergies you guys and dolls might find in a list and what opportunities us Order players have with fielding the King Louen Leonceour! Hit the tables and Happy gaming!!

Slick kid, Good and detailed insights. I was planning to use louen in an empire army. Basically your option 2 in your text. That is where he will really make a difference. Empire troops get hit really hard on battleshock because they lose a lot of bodies fast. 

However, now I am thinking about using the war altar of Sigmar instead. It leads to all free people units within 10" to avoid battleshock and you get some nice spells, 6+ saves, and shooting included. All for 300 points. Seems like a better option.

Did anyone notice how the warscroll is different in the app and the Order book. In the order book the war altar is a strictly devoted to Sigmar thing and only extents the saves and no battleshock to devoted of Sigmar units basically only flaggelants. In the app the war altar covers all free people units. Small difference, but with a big impact. Kind of strange...

5 hours ago, Ravenwing said:

However, now I am thinking about using the war altar of Sigmar instead. It leads to all free people units within 10" to avoid battleshock and you get some nice spells, 6+ saves, and shooting included. All for 300 points. Seems like a better option.

Did anyone notice how the warscroll is different in the app and the Order book. In the order book the war altar is a strictly devoted to Sigmar thing and only extents the saves and no battleshock to devoted of Sigmar units basically only flaggelants. In the app the war altar covers all free people units. Small difference, but with a big impact. Kind of strange...

The app rules always override the book rules, which means the War Alter only affects the Devotee of Sigmar...

Archived