Events UK: The Titans - Norwich 11th March 2017

Jamie Grinstead

Superb day and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks to one and all for the games and the chats. Learned a lot, particularly Alex second game (don't stand toe to toe with 40 skeletons!). 

looking forward to the next one Athena. High fives all round 

• Like 2

Thanks for coming along to our first Age of Sigmar tournament! 16 was a great turnout for our first tournament and I am glad you have all had a great time.

I will put a post up in the next couple of days asking for any feedback.

We will definitely be holding more events in the future. Finally, I just want to thank you all for making it a great day... The way you all approached your games was in great spirit and it was good to see more experienced tournament players helping newer players.

• Like 4

So I have popped together a quick feedback form and would appreciate if you could answer it. You can find that here.

If you have some comments that either don't fit in the form or you just want to pop them down here or message them to me then that would be great. Feedback can be about anything from scenery, scenarios, need to have painted models or even about the facilities!

• Like 1

I'd like to echo everyone's comments on a great day of gaming with a bunch of awesome people!  I was really impressed with how everyone chipped in and got on with games with no hassle. Thanks to all my opponents (Liam, Mike and Dan) and gratz to all the winners too!

Apologies for Game 2 between Mike and myself overrunning slightly - I hope it didn't cause any issues for anyone.

The venue is excellent - I will certainly be coming back for more AoS tournaments at Athena Games and I'm sure that a few more of the EATBATS gang would be up for it as well.

@Jamie Grinstead you asked for some feedback so here is mine:

I felt you organised and ran the event well.  A few queries which were sorted out quickly which is great.

Event pack was clear and included at the relevant information required although I seem to remember I couldn't work out how to buy a ticket until someone told me on TGA.

The prizes are brilliant!  Everyone loves a trophy a store credit!!

I would suggest putting table numbers out so you can tell each match up which number table they are on rather than you having to point at each table.  Maybe also projector to smart TV to put the draw onto to save you having to bellow?

I would have more scenery on the tables.  They felt very 8th ed WFB rather than AoS.  Obviously, this is great for my Sylvaneth as I can bring up woods all over the show ;) but overall, I think that there should be at least 8 to 10 pieces of scenery on each table for AoS rather than the 6 we had.

Table mats are nice too - would be great to see them on all the tables rather than just the top few but I appreciate there is a cost associated with providing them.

Mysterious terrain is great for the game and I think it should be used. It's always hilarious to see named characters tripping on a bit of deadly terrain!!

That's all I've got for the moment.  Please don't take it as negative criticism - it's supposed to be constructive and if you ran another identical event, I'd definitely come anyway!

Speaking of which, I'm already looking forward to hearing when the next event will be.  I hope you can get it in the calendar asap so I have a local event to get excited about!

Jimbo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Event pack was clear and included at the relevant information required although I seem to remember I couldn't work out how to buy a ticket until someone told me on TGA.

I will be sure to make that part more clear next time!

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would suggest putting table numbers out so you can tell each match up which number table they are on rather than you having to point at each table.  Maybe also projector to smart TV to put the draw onto to save you having to bellow?

We do have table numbers for card game tournaments, however I couldn't get those to work for the miniatures format. I will work this out for the next tournament! With table numbers pairings can then just be posted on a wall to allow people to find their game that way.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would have more scenery on the tables.

Completely agree, more scenery would be nice and I will arrange for the next tournament. I am an old school Fantasy player so I probably didn't allow enough scenery :P.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Table mats are nice too - would be great to see them on all the tables rather than just the top few but I appreciate there is a cost associated with providing them.

I do have some more mats arriving, alas they didn't make it in time for this tournament however they should be here for the next one!

Thanks for all the feedback Jimbo, it is certainly really useful.

I have a couple of questions that I am also hoping to get some feedback on.

A couple of our prizes involves voting, now whilst I don't believe it really happened in this tournament, there is always some concerns that a group of players could influence the vote. Is there anything that we could do to improve the way voting is done?

Also if you were planning a doubles tournament, would you say that both players must use the same Grand Alliance or are they fine to use different Grand Alliances?

@Jamie Grinstead

No probs buddy! Great news on the mats and terrain!

Block voting by mates for mates is a difficult one to deal with.  I have only been to one event where that was an issue (not this one!!) and it was clear to everyone there that the army that won best painted wasn't even in the top 10!   The other tricky element is that painting is subjective - different people like different styles, colours, techniques etc so my idea of best painted (or best army) could be completely different to someone else's.

I think your method of having two prizes is a good idea as that allows the players a vote (which hopefully they get right) and also gives the judges a chance to award an army too.  I also liked the way you spread the trophies around so no one got more than one.  I wouldn't change how you do the voting -  having the voters name on the slip is a good idea for sure!

Bit of a sidetrack but some bigger events have 'Best in Alliance' awards for the best placed player in each of the four alliances.  Most events award this directly to the top four generals so this means the player who wins a tournament is guaranteed two trophies.  If you were to ever go down the BiA route, my preference (which some events do), is to stipulate that no one can win more than one gaming trophy so the BiA gets bumped down the rankings to the highest placed person in that Alliance who hasn't won a trophy.   That way, the trophy love gets spread around :)

With regards to Doubles Tournaments, I think they are marvellous fun and usually a bit more chilled out than singles IMO!  I think that teams should stick to one Alliance as I'm sure there are some pretty horrible combo's with multi Alliance.   Having said that, if you did decide to go multi-Alliance, it wouldn't put me off coming to the event so it's definitely not a deal breaker either way.

Jimbo

• Like 4

We should have the tournament for the Age of Sigmar doubles going up in the next couple of days. We are currently looking at Saturday 10th June, just to give you a date for your calendars!

Argh!?! Better hurry up and get me some of those fancy new dwarves in store bud! How does preordering work with Athena? Do I need to come in store and put down a deposit or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Argh!?! Better hurry up and get me some of those fancy new dwarves in store bud! How does preordering work with Athena? Do I need to come in store and put down a deposit or anything?

Tell me about it! Going to be getting some of those dwarfs myself.

Just drop us a message when the preorders for them come out and I will pop you down for it. No need to pay until the stuff comes out. The only things we can't typically get are the webstore exclusive collectors books that they sometimes do with releases.

• Like 1

Tell me about it! Going to be getting some of those dwarfs myself.
Just drop us a message when the preorders for them come out and I will pop you down for it. No need to pay until the stuff comes out. The only things we can't typically get are the webstore exclusive collectors books that they sometimes do with releases.

Lovely stuff, cheers for that bud