Ghoul Patrol Pro's & Con's.

L.Bromley

Hey Guys

I have been scanning through some old FEC lists and trying to work out realistic possible formations an I can't help but notice that the Ghoul Patrol gets a hell of a lot of love from you guys, but can I ask why? Is it really that much better than the abbitior formation? How does it work in escalation games? 

Any help would be great

Yes. Ghoul Patrol is IMO hands down the best battalion for FEC. It gives you; a) regeneration that is not dependant on heroes, b) deployment shenanigans, and the part that puts it just over the top of the Abattoir, c) it fills out your battle line requirements without having to take a Haunter Courtier as a general.

In Escalation it will depend on how the deployment rules for battalions is dealt with. If your opponent lets you deploy the battalion as a single drop, then you're golden. "Deploy" the battalion of the table in your deployment phase then move it onto the table in your first movement phase. If you have to deploy the battalion unit by unit, then you might be in trouble. Then you need to deploy the units in the ghoul patrol of the table until the entire battalion is ready, and move it onto the table in your next movement phase. Since all your battle line units must be deployed first, that might mean that your ghoul patrol can't be deployed until your second movement phase.

They are never (rarely) going to let you deploy it as one drop. The norm is you have to fill up the whole formation off the table with the waves of units before you can use it (which is pretty restrictive). This also screws the GP as it technically says it must be used in turn one - personally Ivwould waive that restriction for escalation to as soon as allowed i.e. wave 2.

The regeneration ability is very good with this battalion because a hero is not required and becomes amazing when combined with a hero.  It has the potential to bring back 12 models a turn. The major down side for me is the deployment restrictions.  Its difficult to get into position to score objectives in most of the match play scenarios in a timely manner.  Not being able to move in the turn they arrive really hurts.

On 11/13/2016 at 0:04 AM, Nico said:

They are never (rarely) going to let you deploy it as one drop. The norm is you have to fill up the whole formation off the table with the waves of units before you can use it (which is pretty restrictive). This also screws the GP as it technically says it must be used in turn one - personally Ivwould waive that restriction for escalation to as soon as allowed i.e. wave 2.

Which in a way is a good thing, as it will disadvantage Stormcast as much if not more. The simple solution to a Ghoul Patrol in Escalation is to have ten drops in your list. That gives you the four you need in the deployment phase to get it on the table in turn one.

8 hours ago, Robert Reid said:

The regeneration ability is very good with this battalion because a hero is not required and becomes amazing when combined with a hero.  It has the potential to bring back 12 models a turn. The major down side for me is the deployment restrictions.  Its difficult to get into position to score objectives in most of the match play scenarios in a timely manner.  Not being able to move in the turn they arrive really hurts.

The deployment can definitely be a double-edged sword, buuuut, there's nothing in the rules that says you have to deploy the entire ghoul patrol along one table edge. So you can split it up and go for several objectives :)

Which in a way is a good thing, as it will disadvantage Stormcast as much if not more. The simple solution to a Ghoul Patrol in Escalation is to have ten drops in your list. That gives you the four you need in the deployment phase to get it on the table in turn one.

This is one reason why they are going for Warrior Brotherhood instead of Skyborne Slayers now.

Archived