Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Can the smiter use runic empowerment even when the units underground therefore popping up with RR wounds? Or does under the ground mean off table and as such abilities can't be used until they've tunneled up into play?

No, but you can use the grand ritual of awakening to mitigate that if a model in the unit popps up within range of the Runesmiter on Magmadroth.

22 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Also with a reroll battleshock ability, do you need to accept whatever the reroll is or take the better roll of the two tests?

You have to take the reroll.

Good evening, so I'm sat around gluing some Beserkers together and daydreaming about lists when I came up with the following. In my head it looks and feels pretty nasty but I've yet to play a game with Fyreslayers. What are your thoughts please?
Leaders
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (220)
- Latch axe & Fyresteel Throwing Axes
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
- Fyresteel Throwing Axe
- Artefact: Relic Blade
Auric Runesmiter (100)
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Wyrmslayer Javelins & Fyresteel Throwing Axes
- Trait: Reckless
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Battlesmith (100)
- Fyresteel Throwing Axes
Auric Runesmiter (100)

Units
Auric Hearthguard x 25 (500)
- Magmapike
- Fyreslayer Battleline
Vulkite Berzerkers x 25 (400)
- Handaxes & Throwing Axes
- Battleline
Vulkite Berzerkers x 5 (80)
- War Pick & Slingshield
- Battleline
Vulkite Berzerkers x 5 (80)
- War Pick & Slingshield
- Battleline

Battalions
Warrior Kinband (40)

Total: 2000/2000

Smiter for the aurics and smiter for the beserkers. Runson for the 3d6 charge. 
Two Magmadroths because I think that would look cool on the table.

Ok so two games in, one minor one major victory, im sure this will be short lived but so far so good.

Ive played stormcast and yesterday beastmen using two skaven catapults (OUCH!!!! ON INFANTRY!) So yesterday inspite of turn one having one unit of 25 vulkites blown apart losing 11 and the other losing 8 I still managed to hold an objective and contest the other giving me a 14 - 5 win on Gifts from Heavens.

I pushed up two magmadroths into the boards centre for their quick fire shooting ability which was nice, the magmadroths also seem to get peoples attention, they just look like a threat and thus get attacked, which both of mine did by two large infantry units. In spite of having two large chaff units around them it still took them forever to kills the units, whittling them down for three turns and slowly losing their wounds. This was a great distraction.

I quickly learnt my lesson re the catapults 31" range and moved my infantry back out of range. I tunnelled next to one with x10 aurics and blew that up, the next round they took out a unit of hounds also, 11 wounds - the RR wounds from smiter and the +1 to hit makes this unit punchy!!! So far two games in ive found ten of these guys to hit hard! I played Sylvaneth prior to Fyreslayers and the widely loved Kurnoth Hunter bowmen didn't do this damage ever!

Two Battlesmiths on table were great ensuring almost everyone every turn got the re-rolls. I took the father on foot for his 5" pile in which helped a lot also with the Vulkites with double axes wiping out a unit of 15 bows quickly. I just felt the synergy was good, didn't even get to using my quicksilver potion. I know doom is to come especially witnessing first hand how things like those catapults decimated me from range in a heartbeat and also woirrying how long it took the two droths to churn through units of glorified chaff...they just don't hit hard enough and the volcanic blood hitting on less wounds than you suffered is just poo to be frank, was useless until I nearly got wiped out then of course it hits after you've suffered nearly all your wounds! One question though, would the droth still pump out the wounds if slain in that same phase? It seems like it would right? Blood would still spurt as it died. Anyways im a content Fyreslayer Lodge owner for now, heres my list:

General - Father on foot, Reckless Command Trait

Smiter on foot

Two Battlesmiths

x10 Auric Hearthguard (Tunnelling)

x 25 Vulkites Picks and Shields

x 25 Vulkites Double Axes

Son on Magmadroth  - Quicksilver potion

Smiter on Magmadroth

2000pts on the button. I liked this list but wanted to take Grimwrath in place of father and have Son on Droth as General but then I lose the battleline for Aurics so that was a bit Meh but other than that, chuffed to bits.

15 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

2000pts on the button. I liked this list but wanted to take Grimwrath in place of father and have Son on Droth as General but then I lose the battleline for Aurics so that was a bit Meh but other than that, chuffed to bits.

Only the runemaster makes aurics battleline and only if he is also your general, the father makes Hearthguard Beserkers battleline, you only have two battleline unit's above. 

Also it's early and I've just woken up but I think that above comes to 1900pts. Sorry if I've missed something. 

No, but you can use the grand ritual of awakening to mitigate that if a model in the unit popps up within range of the Runesmiter on Magmadroth.

Yes. Also rather unusually the Grand Ritual doesn't have a time constraint (other than once per game), so you can do it at any point (e.g. in your movement phase rather than your hero phase or in an opponent's turn e.g. in an emergency or if they go first). It's still an aura projected around the RSoMD. It's what makes the RSoMD by far the best of the 3 Magmadroths.

Good evening, so I'm sat around gluing some Beserkers together and daydreaming about lists when I came up with the following. In my head it looks and feels pretty nasty but I've yet to play a game with Fyreslayers. What are your thoughts please?

Nominative determinism strikes again! Karl with a "K" - you champion!

That list is quite similar to one I used recently.

I don't see the value of the Grimwrath Berserker. I don't favour 5 wound heroes that aren't buffing characters/Wizards. I would just get more Runesmiters and use them to tunnel up the RSoMD (see the post above regarding Grand Ritual of Awakening) - he can pop up in the movement phase, use the once per game ability in the movement phase (or the start of the shooting phase or whenever). I would consider pointing out the fact about the Grand Ritual of Awakening at the start of the game so they don't moan at you "Fyreslayers so OP" when you do it. The Runesmiter can then buff something else once he has popped up.

Alternatively, you could use it to pop up the RSoMD instead (at the cost of losing his command ability), he can then shoot and maybe make a Reckless charge.

I wouldn't go for the Runesmaster as General and the 3 Aurics as Battleline unless you're doing a bunker list.

On 04/01/2017 at 0:36 PM, Nico said:

Nominative determinism strikes again! Karl with a "K" - you champion!

I had to google that... ? I'm glad there is a phrase for it  

I see the merits of of another smiter to tunell the smiterdroth and think I would certainly give it a go but the rule of cool says I should take the Grimwrath Beserker. 

I was considering dropping 10 aurics in favour of some poleaxe hearthguard that can run around with the  Grimwrath. Would also give me the flexibility to run a list based around lords of the lodge and the fore brethren battalions withouht having to buy 10 more aurics, certainly initially anyway. 

Of course this is all mere speculation as I have yet to play a game with them. Would love to have it done for SCGT this year. Started painting 20 dual hand axe wielding vulkites last night. 

On 04/01/2017 at 0:26 PM, Nico said:

Yes. Also rather unusually the Grand Ritual doesn't have a time constraint (other than once per game), so you can do it at any point (e.g. in your movement phase rather than your hero phase or in an opponent's turn e.g. in an emergency or if they go first). It's still an aura projected around the RSoMD. It's what makes the RSoMD by far the best of the 3 Magmadroths.

I'd never considered "in an opponents turn"....

Don't know how I've missed this thread for so long! Just read through most of it, some great evolving ideas in here, many I've tried out myself over the past year.

Fyreslayers are definitely a hard army to play and however you build your list you need to be sure of your plan and commit to it entirely. Most games I've lost with fyreslayers are due to getting excited and making bad decisions.

The current 2000 list I've built to with much playtesting is:

Auric Runesmiter
25 Vulkite Berserkers+ War-picks & Bladed Slingshields
10 Vulkite Berserkers +War-picks & Bladed Slingshields

Lords of the Lodge
• Auric Runefather +Reckless+Relic Blade
• Auric Runemaster
• Battlesmith +Pheonix Stone
• 15 Hearthguard Berserkers
Forge Brethren
• Auric Runesmiter On Magmadroth +Pheonix Stone
• 5 Auric Hearthguard
• 5 Auric Hearthguard
• 5 Auric Hearthguard

Seems quite low on the infantry at first but I've been cutting down unit sizes to be very efficient to what you need. More than 15 Hearthguard is almost always overkill I have found.

The general plan of the list is to try and go second, push toward a main objective with your full force buffed with armour saves and reroll, and have the 25 vulkites tunnelled to react when needed. When you are in a strong position tunnel in your reserves on an easy objective and charge your Hearthguard in to the strongest enemy unit, also fire off your reroll to wound bubble buff. They will pile in twice, and if then use your +3 to turn roll and you should get the second turn about 80% of the time.

Main tip is don't waste your droth and heroes on the wrong targets. The Magmadroth can do very well with an armour buff against the right unit(large, weak units).

Bulk of the damage should come from the Hearthguard Berserkers, then the auric Hearthguard and Vulkites if they're lucky.

Depending on situation don't tunnel if you don't have to. Or just tunnel the small unit of 10 on to a very easy objective.

The vulkites could also be 20/15 rather than 25/10 if I fancy it.

Don't know how I've missed this thread for so long! Just read through most of it, some great evolving ideas in here, many I've tried out myself over the past year. 

We've been Magmic Tunnelling.

I see where you're going with you list. What concerns me a lot is the idea of going second and finding your Battlesmith, Runesmiter and Battlesmith sniped turn one (before the Battlesmith gets his aoe reroll saves bubble out). Sylvaneth with Kurnoth Hunters dropping into the middle of a Wyldwood (or just sniping from 35" away or artillery are serious issues. Alternatively, the Kurnoths/artillery can shred the 5+ save Aurics units and kill your save buffs that way (and delete 300 points in a flash). Hiding the Aurics at the back might help, but then they will be out of range for much of the game with movement 4 and you waste the points that way.

Generally I'll keep my Aurics behind the line and although they could be picked off they tend to be ignored in such small units. The Runesmiter get most of the attention. 

I wont lie the first turn is the worst but if when you make it through without much loss you're in a dominating position. 

It also slightly relies on either people not knowing enough about the army to prioritise or just plain old target saturation. The only things worth concentrating on are very hard to kill. 

I also play with a lot of terrain so can hide foot heroes pretty well from LoS

Hy guys!
After a lil break playing the smelly tailed monks of the realms (and having great fun 1 shooting stardrakes with only 15 of these lil walking bubos) I'm back in righteousness as I'll soon be the owner of more than 2k of naked punk heads!! Including 2 magmadroth, which are, to be said, the main reason I want to play those guys
That and the grimmy cus I'm fluffy
So I'll have 2 magmadroth (1 smitter and 1 son?), 30 vulkites, 30 hb, a berserk, a battlesmith a runeson and father 2 smitter on foot
I mainly gonna play narrative so will certainly go for lord of lodges but still I need your expertise on how to divide all that and use it ! ( mainly against bloodbound as I'm gonna play balance of power with them with a friend

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Btw quick question about the after-tunneling charge
If I set up let's say a runeson on droth with reckless trait and a unit of hb
When I charge for those units, I throw 3 dices
But can I rr those three thx to the reckless ? That'd makes it impossible to miss

2 hours ago, Gengis137 said:

Btw quick question about the after-tunneling charge
If I set up let's say a runeson on droth with reckless trait and a unit of hb
When I charge for those units, I throw 3 dices
But can I rr those three thx to the reckless ? That'd makes it impossible to miss

No you cannot as you arrive in the movement phase and that ability activates in the hero phase. 

On 15/01/2017 at 9:48 PM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

No you cannot as you arrive in the movement phase and that ability activates in the hero phase. 

Are you sure? The ability reads as it lasts hero to hero phase and when fyreslayer units are within 10 inches of the runson when they charge they can roll 3 dice. The unit doesn't have to be within 10 inches in the hero phase only in the charge phase to be effected by the command ability. 

7 minutes ago, Karl said:

Are you sure? The ability reads as it lasts hero to hero phase and when fyreslayer units are within 10 inches of the runson when they charge they can roll 3 dice. The unit doesn't have to be within 10 inches in the hero phase only in the charge phase to be effected by the command ability. 

Ah sorry! My bad. For some reason I thought he was tunnelling in. Greatest apologies. 

24 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Ah sorry! My bad. For some reason I thought he was tunnelling in. Greatest apologies. 

He is tunnelling. 

I read it as, as long as a unit is within 10 inches of the runeson in the charge phase then the unit can roll 3 dice. If the unit doesn't have to be within 10 inches of the son in the hero phase to benefit then it doesn't even need to be on the table. It's the charge phase when the unit is effected not the hero phase. The son just activates his bubble then which lasts to the next hero phase. 

7 hours ago, Karl said:

He is tunnelling. 

I read it as, as long as a unit is within 10 inches of the runeson in the charge phase then the unit can roll 3 dice. If the unit doesn't have to be within 10 inches of the son in the hero phase to benefit then it doesn't even need to be on the table. It's the charge phase when the unit is effected not the hero phase. The son just activates his bubble then which lasts to the next hero phase. 

yes I though the runeson was also tunnelling. What you're saying is fine I'm happy with that. 

Archived