Skarbrand

Louzi

Question

Hi,

a few questions about Skarbrand:

I am a little bit confused about reading the damage table: Wounds Suffered = Rage. Normally I look how many wounds my monster suffered to see how many attacks it gets. But on Skarbrands Warscroll there is clarified, that I have to to look in every hero phase on the damage table to see his rage. So that means to me, that he is always at the same rage = same attacks until the next hero phase?

And: Do I have to choose in my hero phase which abilities I want to use? For example I have to declare in the hero phase that I want to reroll charge although I dont know, if I fail or not? Do I have to use the the roar of total rage in the hero phase, too?

So many questions, sry. But I really dont understand that warscroll...

8 answers to this question

Skarbrand's rage level only effects his abilities - the number of attacks he makes with Slaughter uses the damage table in the same was as any other Behemoth (the same with the Carnage roll).

Yes you will need to choose what abilities he wishes to make in the hero phase, basically the Skarbrand's Rage rule, gives him those sub-abilities rather than the option to choose to pick one when you need it.  As the ability starts with "in each of your hero phases", nothing changes that during the actual ability rules.

To be honest, the damage table would be clearer if the rage column were on the right hand side :)  His rage level and Slaughter/Carnage values are separate entities (but really not that clear).

I originally thought that everything was based on his rage level, but the actual ability says nothing about it modifying his Slaughter or Carnage melee attacks so I've taken it that those are based on the number of wounds suffered in the normal way.  If it did work based on his rage, it'd be easy to exploit by keeping him out of combat for a single turn and then unleashing 8 attacks and total carnage on a 1+, which just doesn't seem right.

So your interpretation is, that the level of rage never affects the amount of attacks? So, even if he is incandescent he could have only 4 attacks with slaughter?!? For me it doesnt seem right and I dont see exploits. You skip a whole battle round to make him incandescent...

4 hours ago, Louzi said:

So your interpretation is, that the level of rage never affects the amount of attacks? So, even if he is incandescent he could have only 4 attacks with slaughter?!? For me it doesnt seem right and I dont see exploits. You skip a whole battle round to make him incandescent...

Yes, but his Slaughter attack value increases as he starts taking damage.  His damage table is reversed from others so he starts off at 4 and goes to 8 attacks whereas a comparable unit may start off at 8 and drop down to 4.

The thing is that is rage gives him a lot of bonuses when Incandesent - potentially 5 mortal wounds from his Roar of Total Rage, every hit of Total Carnage will be dishing out 8 instant wounds/eath to a single model not to mention lots of re-rolls.  Total Carnage is brutal especially if you boost his attacks by other means.

In fairness, this is my own reading of the warscroll, so somebody might spot something I've missed that links the rage mechanic with the Slaughter and Carnage rules

I think the warscroll is perfectly clear. It changes what you are supposed to use whatever you look up from the table. So yes, you skip turn of combat and he gets his optimum numbers for the next battle round. As I think the final entry is plain wrong I guess ressurecting an old thread is less harmful than leaving the wrong answer to be found (as I just did looking for another detail).

On 8/5/2020 at 12:26 AM, umbratica said:

I think the warscroll is perfectly clear. It changes what you are supposed to use whatever you look up from the table. So yes, you skip turn of combat and he gets his optimum numbers for the next battle round. As I think the final entry is plain wrong I guess ressurecting an old thread is less harmful than leaving the wrong answer to be found (as I just did looking for another detail).

I guess the warscroll changed with the last battletome, so what now is perfectly clear maybe wasnt back on that time

Edited by Bululu

2 hours ago, Bululu said:

I guess the warscroll changed with the last battletome

Correct, warscroll have been completly reworked last year to make it more behemot standard. So @Louzi, if GW changed completly warscroll, this is probabl that you were not the only one strugling with it.