Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been perusing the Forgeworld site and see the Wolf Rats! 
Has anyone taken them before? Anyone have any thoughts?

100 points for five.
2017-06-06_0838.png.fdf645fbc50a4e9570fab28ae84dee8b.png

The move stat is nice, but the save and bravery is a little uninspiring. The Blood-Crazed makes up for that, but they'll have to survive combat first. 

Their abilities kind of force you to go on the offensive with them. taking out war machines or hitting 'token' units left behind to hold objectives perhaps. 

How would folks here use them? 

To the question of using Tretch or Queek inside the "Verminius Clawpack"

The first FAQ makes a wrong decision (that causes many problems), which was changed in the FAQ 1.1 (Dezember 2016)

When a warscroll battalion used the Keyword the entry has to be written like this: SKAVEN WARLORD, after the Clawpack's entry is written "Skaven Warlord" it means the Warscrollname. So named charakters can't be part of this Battalion. Only exist besides it and doesn't benefit from the battalions abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Skaven Warlord.

Do you take the warpforged blade or the halberd and barbed blade combo?

With a chaos rune blade magic item, the warpforged blade could have 4 attacks.

Thar and the -2 rend is selling it to me, but what do other folk take?

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

Skaven Warlord.

Do you take the warpforged blade or the halberd and barbed blade combo?

With a chaos rune blade magic item, the warpforged blade could have 4 attacks.

Thar and the -2 rend is selling it to me, but what do other folk take?

I would too but sadly I mostly use the model  with halberd (so much more dynamic ) and I can't bring myself to not be wysiwyget when there is a warscroll option for it. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow vermin!

I'm bringing a straight up Verminus list to a tournament this weekend. The list is locked in at this point but I will post it here and recap how it performs at the end of the weekend.

General: Tretch Craventail (Command Trait: Great Destroyer)

Skaven Warlord (Crown of Command)

Verminlord Warbringer (Crown of Command)

Clanrats (knives) x 30

Clanrats (knives) x 30

Clanrats (Spears) x 30

Stormvermin x 30

Rattling Gun Teams x 3

Warp lightning cannon

Verminus Clawpack (obv)

Total: 1960 Points

Sideboard (500 points) :

Arch Warlock

Plagueclaw Catapult

Warpfire Thrower Teams x 3

3 hours ago, Goodapollo4 said:

Hello fellow vermin!

I'm bringing a straight up Verminus list to a tournament this weekend. The list is locked in at this point but I will post it here and recap how it performs at the end of the weekend.

General: Tretch Craventail (Command Trait: Great Destroyer)

Skaven Warlord (Crown of Command)

Verminlord Warbringer (Crown of Command)

Clanrats (knives) x 30

Clanrats (knives) x 30

Clanrats (Spears) x 30

Stormvermin x 30

Rattling Gun Teams x 3

Warp lightning cannon

Verminus Clawpack (obv)

Total: 1960 Points

Sideboard (500 points) :

Arch Warlock

Plagueclaw Catapult

Warpfire Thrower Teams x 3

I'm so excited to see how this list performs! Please do share, and good luck! :D

What will you be using to cast mystic shield? Seems like the Warbringer will be casting death frenzy every time. It almost seems like it may be better to take 3x warpfire throwers (which you have in your side board) and maybe a few less rats to clear up points for either a warlock engineer or that juicy arch warlock. 3x warpfire and 10 less rats clears up 120 points for the engineer allowing mystic shield. Also, I wonder why people don't take a grey seer to be able to re roll failed mystic shield casts? I never see them seers used (with all fairness I don't use em either hehe). 

did you consider making 2 units of 40 and 1 unit of 10 clanrats instead? If you lose 1 rat in either unit, you lose one of your +1 bonuses. Having 40 per unit gives you a nice cushion such that the enemy will need to tear through 10 wounds before that is lost. Since you have 2 crowns and inspiring, you'd be able to make all your important/big units immune to battle shock, and the 10 man unit can be used for objectives. Having three 30 man units of clan rats and the stormvermin, one large unit will be susceptible to battle shock, whereas two 40 man units and the 30 man stormvermin can be totally immune. 

3 minutes ago, Flood said:

I'm so excited to see how this list performs! Please do share, and good luck! :D

did you consider making 2 units of 40 and 1 unit of 10 clanrats instead? If you lose 1 rat in either unit, you lose one of your +1 bonuses. Having 40 per unit gives you a nice cushion such that the enemy will need to tear through 10 wounds before that is lost. Since you have 2 crowns and inspiring, you'd be able to make all your important/big units immune to battle shock, and the 10 man unit can be used for objectives. Having three 30 man units of clan rats and the stormvermin, one large unit will be susceptible to battle shock, whereas two 40 man units and the 30 man stormvermin can be totally immune. 

That's a really good point. Can't change it at this point per tournament requirements I don't think, but if I can then I will! 

2 minutes ago, Flood said:

Ya I figured you couldn't change it but thought I'd mention it. :)
Also I edited my comment as I thought of another question afterwards haha. Will you basically forego mystic shield? 

Yeah I was basically forgoing Mystic Shield. I like the rattling guns for their range and potential, though I know the warpfire throwers are a bit more consistent and harder to mitigate. 

I'm sure the arch-warlock will make an appearance at some point, throw around some shields and warpstorms. The math hammering helps actually! I did think about switching out the guns for the throwers, and getting the lock in there would be a big help in some our or tourney scenarios :)

On 29-7-2017 at 5:14 AM, Kosmion said:

Blessed be the horned one, rightful ruler of this pitiful world

Blessed be the new hordes rule! Can't wait to field 2000pt verminus list with abilities and still get 400pt of allies. The possibilities got me very excited?

I'm going verminous backed by a single clan, (just for fluffs), so for skryre it will be something from a selection of weapon teams (if they are not automatically verminious due to the battalions) with a (arch) warplock and the rest of the points go to jezzails, warp lightning cannon or doowheel. 

I also rather fancy 15 gutter runners and 2 assassins as an Eshin crew. Giving me some trickery to the list. Or a 4 rat ogors with a packmaster for some extra punch and 2 rat swarms just to tie up small units. 

So, from the looks of it, the new handbook has clanrats as a 20 unit minimum. Taken in blocks of 20.

That's a significant change to the way I currently run my verminous clawpack - 30/10/10. So they'll need a rethink. In fact, I have to find an additional 60 points in order to fulfil the battalion requirements - which is disappointing, to say the least... 

30 stormvermin is quite the powerhouse when buffed 40 is better still no doubt. I'm not sold on tretch at the moment, he's under performed in each game I've played.

On 2017-08-02 at 11:16 AM, Kramer said:

Blessed be the new hordes rule! Can't wait to field 2000pt verminus list with abilities and still get 400pt of allies. The possibilities got me very excited?

Yes-yes! Many things are blessed in this new GHB! But verminius wont get abilities though?

54 minutes ago, Kosmion said:

Yes-yes! Many things are blessed in this new GHB! But verminius wont get abilities though?

Oh then it's a redicoulious update. GW are clearly ruining the game. 40K is getting all attention and in general life sucks ;)

But so weird I was convinced they got abilities but looking at the post I think I skimmed this paragraph and got it wrong. But then it's a bit of weird example. The point of this example is that you don't loose the allegiance abilities while allies are from an other clan :S That's weird right? Please let me have my hopes ;) But then again if the preview of the contents isn't messed with it doesn't look likely. 

59832d12da7a3_ScreenShot2017-08-03at16_01_06.png.ff4de34f80375597a649f1057bd92523.png

59832d16e4279_ScreenShot2017-08-03at16_01_12.png.c546d022aebc8e7a4a56d9ab051d4658.png

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Oh then it's a redicoulious update. GW are clearly ruining the game. 40K is getting all attention and in general life sucks ;)

But so weird I was convinced they got abilities but looking at the post I think I skimmed this paragraph and got it wrong. But then it's a bit of weird example. The point of this example is that you don't loose the allegiance abilities while allies are from an other clan :S That's weird right? Please let me have my hopes ;) But then again if the preview of the contents isn't messed with it doesn't look likely. 

59832d12da7a3_ScreenShot2017-08-03at16_01_06.png.ff4de34f80375597a649f1057bd92523.png

59832d16e4279_ScreenShot2017-08-03at16_01_12.png.c546d022aebc8e7a4a56d9ab051d4658.png

Hmm the example does suggest that you would want to keep your allegiance as verminus, thus there should be some sort of benefit for it? Ooh that makes me hopeful! But i suspect the cobtent section isnt showing everything in the book, as other factions arent represented either: daughters for example

4 hours ago, Kosmion said:

Hmm the example does suggest that you would want to keep your allegiance as verminus, thus there should be some sort of benefit for it? Ooh that makes me hopeful! But i suspect the cobtent section isnt showing everything in the book, as other factions arent represented either: daughters for example

Thats my hope as Well. Another interpretation would be, but it would have been a bit weird because they did show it a week later... but if you are verminous allegiance stormvermin become battleline, so in that sense you have an advantage to being verminous allegiance. 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Thats my hope as Well. Another interpretation would be, but it would have been a bit weird because they did show it a week later... but if you are verminous allegiance stormvermin become battleline, so in that sense you have an advantage to being verminous allegiance. 

Yea thats true, forgot they had that. Its no doubt a buff and a "reason" to pick verminous i guess, yet i still feel its not enough. And if its something aos has shown us is that factions with abillities, artefacts, formations etc. are the ones that actually are competetive ai viable. I hope there is more in stores for verminous ?

9 hours ago, Kosmion said:

Yea thats true, forgot they had that. Its no doubt a buff and a "reason" to pick verminous i guess, yet i still feel its not enough. And if its something aos has shown us is that factions with abillities, artefacts, formations etc. are the ones that actually are competetive ai viable. I hope there is more in stores for verminous ?

Same Same. And the weird thing about making stormvermin battleline for me is, that I woud never field a whole 2000 points on only stormvermin. I would always take 2 or three units of Clanrats. So yes it gives you options but it's not that big of a deal for me. Other people might disagree of course.

It might also be that after painting 100 something Clanrats i'm not doing the same for stormvermin ;)

Archived