Spraying in cold weather

Caffran101

Can anyone give me some information / advice on spraying a base layer in cold weather?

Obviously spraying the undercoat needs to be done somewhere with plenty of ventilation (can only do it outside).

I noticed when spraying during the summer that the quality of the undercoat was slightly determined by the weather (heat / humidity). Never sprayed when it was wet, tried to avoid spraying when the atmosphere was very humid (read that this can seriously affect the paint drying).

However (*insert Ned Stark meme*), Winter is coming and I have a new Beast Claw Raiders army to spray. Anyone know how the paint behaves in the cold? Should I avoid doing it below a certain temperature? 

If the weather where you are is anything like the weather here, then it'll never be ideal. (I'm on the east coast of England.)

As long as it hasn't rained recently, you should be able to get out, spray them, then leave them for twenty minutes or so to dry. For basecoats it'll be serviceable but not ideal. For Purity Seal, just don't, wait until June at least. That stuff hates humidity.

My experience from priming in Norwegian weather:

1. Try to avoid if possible. If you really need to spray, only prime. Save the purity seal for warmer weather.

2. Perhaps obvious, but spray when there is light outside. Really sucks to prime a model, and to find you've missed huge parts of it.

3. Shake the can for a minute inside where it's warm, alternatively run some lukewarm water over it if necessary.

4. Take your models outside on a tray, prime them properly, and bring everything inside again - do not leave outside to dry.

5. Let them dry inside in a non-humid room. It's gonna smell, so try to put them in a closed room if possible.

Need to know roughly where in the work you are to give the best advice :)  Like @CoffeeGrunt I'm in the UK (South West for me though).  Undercoat wise if it's been a dry/nice day and the temperature is above 5 or 6 with no wind then I'll go outside to spray but bring them into the living room to dry off.  Normally during the winter I do most of my undercoating 10/11 in the evening and open up the large door to the garage and spray out from there.

Purity seal you need to wait for July the 32nd when the moon has risen to it's highest point and you've just sacrificed a lamb to the great god Imhotep

On 11/7/2016 at 7:44 AM, Zen said:

3. Shake the can for a minute inside where it's warm, alternatively run some lukewarm water over it if necessary.

This right here, don't leave the can in a cold place, make sure it is warm and shake it before using it. You shouldn't have any problems with it if you do this.

Archived