1000 wanderers list advice

Trav

Hi all, starting to build a wanderers force and after some feedback on my list.

noble prince

spellweaver

waystrider

20 glade guard

10 glade guard

20 eternal guard

5 sisters of the thawn.

love the durability of the eternal guard and they can act as a good wall. Think sisters shield spell would be cool on these guys and with spellweaver possibly dish out mortal wounds on each save of 4+ - with rerolls. 

Would i be better to split them into 2 units instead?

1000 exactly but would love a more shooty character. Than spellweaver or waystalker.

Other list toying with is

waywatcher

10 sisters of the watch

20 gladeguard

10 eternal guard

5 sisters of the thorn

+

10 eternal guard

or

noble prince, wayfinder or spellweaver.

absolutely love the wildwood rangers but they are quite expensive at 1000 points. Could swap them for sisters of the thorn to add some good attacks and something to take on monsters.

any thoughts on either of these?

i have never used them nor have i seen them in action.

cheers

I like the first list better. 20 eternal guard is nice, throwing them into cover, mystic shield and the sisters buff would see them sticking around all game. Lock shield ability (or whatever it's called) that's a tough unit to crack. I'd probably drop the unit if 10 glade guard and the waystrider and look to select something else. Maybe some more infantry?

i take it your nomad prince is the general? Dropping his ability on the glade guard when using the bodkin arrows?

I need 2 units of glade guard for minimum battleline and cant afford a unit of 20, just 10. Even dropping half the eternal guard wont give me enough. 10 glade guard wont do much i know but without dropping a couple of units i cant bump them up to 20.

Could drop waystrider (only in as i had 80 points spare) and 10 eternal warriors for some more gladeguard, but then the eternal guard would drop massively in effectiveness. 

Any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I like the first list better. 20 eternal guard is nice, throwing them into cover, mystic shield and the sisters buff would see them sticking around all game. Lock shield ability (or whatever it's called) that's a tough unit to crack. I'd probably drop the unit if 10 glade guard and the waystrider and look to select something else. Maybe some more infantry?

i take it your nomad prince is the general? Dropping his ability on the glade guard when using the bodkin arrows?

And yep prince is the general. His rerolling 1s ability will be great for the bondkins attack. He is also pretty great in combat and would work well with eternal guard

Am i spending too many points on buffing the eternal guard with sisters of the thorn? Potential 3+ rerolling saves with each 4+ resulting in mortal wounds with spellweaver help. Sounds good but has anyone used this and how has it performed?

idea is to use inspiring presence on these guys, lock down some enemy units and blow them away whilst dishing motal wounds onto the enemy.

i have a gut feel that shooting will leave me underwhelmed. Might consider dropping spellweaver for waywatcher or wayfinder for some extra shooting.

any thoughts are appreciated as I am buying models soon!

I like the sisters of the watch in a list. They just seem like a well rounded unit whether shooting or being attacked. Especially vs a chaos foe. I would take more than 20 GG. Because if you lose one you lose their bonus, maybe 25-30 in the unit. Have you thought at all about a Wild Riders unit? A fast moving unit that can run and charge and gets +1 to wound when it charges. Great for grabbing objectives early.

1 hour ago, Barimbino said:

I like the sisters of the watch in a list. They just seem like a well rounded unit whether shooting or being attacked. Especially vs a chaos foe. I would take more than 20 GG. Because if you lose one you lose their bonus, maybe 25-30 in the unit. Have you thought at all about a Wild Riders unit? A fast moving unit that can run and charge and gets +1 to wound when it charges. Great for grabbing objectives early.

Not much reason not to go 30 if you go more than 20 I'd say :D

I also want to do a Wanderers army at some point(y ears)

i'd go double Spellweaver to get some redundancy on Blessing of Life. Make one the general. Then throw in Sisters of the Thorn, Sisters of the Watch and 30 glade guard - that's 1000 points. No idea if it's any good, but includes lots of kickass women with bows and/or wands

Why not the nomad prince? He makes the glade guard decently dangerous, especially in conjunction with the bodkin arrows.

and I'm guessing anything over 1000 points is where as a wanderer player you should start to field melee units? I feel at 1000 points fielding infantry is taking up too much valuable space.

Sure thing - you start with nothing deployed on the table, then in your 1st turn you bring everything on at once from any table edge - so basically you can "alpha-strike" with your whole army. You can also shoot in the hero phase at any unit within 12 of the prince. Prince has to be your general and you need to take a broad selection of Wanderer units that only just fits into 2000 points

5 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Oh nice!! That's pretty powerful, possible turn 1 double shooting phase ! 

Im looking at this for a 1000 point list:

nomad prince

spellweaver

20 glade guard

10 glade guard

10 eternal guard

5 wild riders

5 sisters of thorne

980 points.

thoughts? 

I love the nomad prince, pretty tough, hits hard and rerolling ones to hit is great for nearby units.

i agree that it feels better to load on shooting at 1000 rather than mix it up but eternal guard seem loke a good shield. 

Similar to my list above but no riders and extra infantry. Do you think 10 gladeguard are worthwhile?

looks like a well rounded list with lots of movement.

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

10 glade guard aren't worthwhile at all, but unless your setting the wayfinder as your general for the waywatchers BATTLELINE troops then what else can u fill up on battleline you know? And nomad prince is too strong to pass up on I think.

True, you need to fill battleline spots with something and hard to fit all the toys in at 1000.

I am going with nomad prince too, but love the waywatcher. 

Archived