Stonemonk's 4-Story Shattered Ruins

StoneMonk

Once painted i wanted to make a wash that matched the Secret Weapon Flesh wash ive used on my bases. Finally mixxed Liquitex matte medium and citadel XV-88 to a satisfactory effect. My bases also used a two part dry-brush. For the terrain i am goinng to just one drybrush of ivory using a cheapo craft paint but you can see the match is great at tabletop level.

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

With wash and drybrush formula sorted inwent back to work on models for a few days. But then decided to work on the display board plaque. 

I wanted it to stand out and be usable as terrain. So intook a chunk of foam and wrote out the name "Endless Desert", created some tiled space and design and then i printed out some imagery, from the endless desert website and our own logo. I glued it on the foam and used an exacto to etchit and carve it. And the. I cut the piece up into a ruins. 

I have found it important for me to do the etching larger than i need so that when i cut up the foam, you get the design running offbyour edges in naturally occuring ways.

since this plaque was so fun to carve i guess i needed to make more for myself by carving a larger version of the skull and scarab.

and ibthink thats all the terrain built, now just woodfiller and paint.

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

Thank you. Yes a semi-sharp to sharp xacto. I print out the thing I want to carve, tape it to the foam, and then start in the middle and work my way out. You end up cutting the template away bit by bit, so leaving the stuff that's nearest the tape works the best.

If you go back to the first page of pictures, you can see how i did it for each of the floors. but there I used a ball point pen to trace instead of an xacto. faster, but not as sharp as xacto and wanted these last pieces to be real sharp.

27 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Looking awesome. You're going to have to make a whole temple complex :P

I have quite a bit of left over floor pieces and square cutouts to make more pillars - so building out an entire Endless Desert board probably needs to happen. Would like to switch back over to castle terrain for a little bit, but may be more successful if I carry this through to the end before moving on!

Fantastic looking terrain but even better to watch you build it. Gives all hints and tips to make our own. Never got my hands onto any of this pink foam yet for modelling (always used dense polystyrene) so it's interesting to see how you carve it and seal it to make it tough enough for general battlefield use. Great stuff and a massive thumbs up from me ?

Thanks @Sedge. I definitely hope people can make some amazing terrain using my methods and improving on my mistakes. I'll definitely be posting my results as I try and strengthen these delicate designs. This is my first time doing such detailed work, so we'll see how it goes. Hoping PVA glue and interior paint (latex) will do it. 

The term I looked up for the foam is Extruded Polystyrene (XPS - pink or blue sheets for home insulation) as opposed to Expanded Polystyrene (EPS - white with visible beads, coffee cups, electronics packaging). I didn't know this, but supposedly pink and blue are the same just different manufacturers? SO, the XPS has the density to get this detail, but still can be fragile as you said.

And congrats on the Warlord win. @Red_Zeke is running Bonesplitters alongside my Ogornids at the Havoc event. Looking forward to running around with monsters and monster hunters.

13 hours ago, StoneMonk said:

And congrats on the Warlord win. @Red_Zeke is running Bonesplitters alongside my Ogornids at the Havoc event. Looking forward to running around with monsters and monster hunters.

Thanks for that. Was a real buzz winning the first GW AoS event ?

I've just managed to

geg some of the pink foam from a mate. Will have a look and see what I can come up with. Really excited to get started. I do live a good terrain project. 

Got everything finished up and ready for Holy Havoc!

i used the Behr color match (latex) housepaint samples to paint up the skull and scarab and it definitely firmed up the detail. Used my wash mix and then drybrushed it. 

The nameplate turned out great as well!

Here it is all finished and with my Ogornids on it.

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

So I have decided to turn this into at least a 4x4 board. I will either do 3 more 2'x2' foam board pieces and arrange them together...OR i will tecture those 2'x4' pressboard pieces leaning against the wall in the background. Once i have the 'flat' surface, I'll evaluate how many more terrain pieces I'll need and what I can build from the remaining pieces from this initial structure.

Archived