Treelord ancient question and Dryad questions.

Dracothjay

A questioin about his command ability:

'Heed the Spirit-song: The Treelord Ancient speaks
to its kin through the spirit-song, warning them of
approaching dangers. Until your next hero phase,
you can re-roll save rolls of 1 for SYLVANETH
units if they are within 10"of the Treelord Ancient'

Does this mean Kurnoth hunters are always 'within 10''  even if they are not due to the kurnoth rule of always being within range?

Also, with summonng dryads. If you pay the 120 points cost for a unit of 10 and keep them in reserve to be summoned, when the time comes to summon them can you exceed the unit size you have paid for or are you only allowed to summon that unit of 10 dryads?  

My thoughts also, what's the use in summoning them when you could move them to a more advantageous wood.

at 2000 points, 3 BATTLELINE units is an awkward one as dryads are so damn expensive for a unit of 10. Would fielding a unit of 20 and another unit of 10 be a good start? Then finish up on 10 tree revenants?

I often field 20 dryads and two groups of 5 revenants. I use the dryads as a character bunker/ objective holder (often with a TLA) and the revenants as speed bumps or chaff (occasionally both groups together as a war machine/ wizard hunter.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in matched play you put summoning points in reserve. You dont need to assign those points to anything though. if you planned to spend 120 on dryads but had 240 summoning points overall there is nothing to say you cant spend more or less. What limits you are the conditions of the summoning spell/ability which state a max unit size usually.

You can never have enough woods spread around

- enemies in range of the woods for roused by magic

- caster in range of the woods to activate roused by magic

- more options for movement for dryads and Durthu while retaining their powerfull buffs.

I will be buying some plasticard and draw around the base from my only wood and cut it out. You really need 9 bases to place 3-4 woods in game... GW shops might not agree.. but my shop and my opponents won't be bothered by it, the fact the base size will be correct should be enough I think.

20 dryads, 10 dryads and 5 Tree Revenants has worked pretty well, but you could also do as Mirage said depending on your goal.

I find dryads very survivable so if you are trying to hold an objective I'd rather have 10 dryads, but if you're using them as chaff to screen a stone horn or etc the Revenants are cheaper. 

Re: woods - 1-3 as posted above but it has been comped in tournaments so if you're going to one check their player pack (it's 2 max at the one I'm going to in January).

Generally, I find 1 or 2 is more ideal in some situations anyways as you want more flexibility to move between different woods (different bases of the same woods don't count). If you go in 3's too often you'll find you have probably used your woods by turn 2 and don't have much options left, and then you have to become "that guy" and start bringing 9+ woods...

On 20/10/2016 at 11:54 PM, Dracothjay said:

My thoughts also, what's the use in summoning them when you could move them to a more advantageous wood.

There really is no point in summoning them. The Roused to Wrath spell came over from the compendium Branchwraith but I really think they should have either changed it or at least made her 80pts. Yes, she can take a Deepwood spell but still, 100pts for a Wizard whose unique spell is more or less useless in Matched Play is a little steep. No combat skills or other abilities of which to speak either. Unless you need the wraith for a Battalion it's gotta be the Wych every time.

There really is no point in summoning them. The Roused to Wrath spell came over from the compendium Branchwraith but I really think they should have either changed it or at least made her 80pts. Yes, she can take a Deepwood spell but still, 100pts for a Wizard whose unique spell is more or less useless in Matched Play is a little steep. No combat skills or other abilities of which to speak either. Unless you need the wraith for a Battalion it's gotta be the Wych every time.

Well, yes and no.

She is the only hero option that gets an auto -1 to hit in the forest. With the -1 to hit item and a treelords stomp she's -3 to hit. Also, being a wizard who will probably use the Regrowth deepwood spell means she's the only hero I'd feel reasonably safe putting on the front lines. Ranged mortal wounds are always a problem, but if I wanted a fighty, super survivable support caster, she's arguably better than the wytch in that regard.

1 hour ago, Mirage8112 said:

Well, yes and no.

She is the only hero option that gets an auto -1 to hit in the forest. With the -1 to hit item and a treelords stomp she's -3 to hit. Also, being a wizard who will probably use the Regrowth deepwood spell means she's the only hero I'd feel reasonably safe putting on the front lines. Ranged mortal wounds are always a problem, but if I wanted a fighty, super survivable support caster, she's arguably better than the wytch in that regard.

Okay yeah, if you've given her a Briarsheath and she's in combat in a wood with a Treelord within 3" that's got its stomp off on the unit that's attacking her then she is -3 hit, I'll give you that. Alternatively, you just give the Silverwood Circlet to a Wych for a 24" inch Regrowth and keep her in your deployment zone and not have to worry, also you'd get 15" Unleash Spites to boot, which is far more useful than a spell you will never use. 

But that's just me and I'm obviously bitter because I don't get to play with my sweet Branchwraith conversion anymore.

I will be buying some plasticard and draw around the base from my only wood and cut it out. You really need 9 bases to place 3-4 woods in game... GW shops might not agree.. but my shop and my opponents won't be bothered by it, the fact the base size will be correct should be enough I think.

Buy a swamp Fat Mat and cut it up into Wood sized sections. There's an @Mc1gamer video on this very subject on YouTube. I'm pondering doing this.

Archived