Harry the Hammer

RuneBrush

After a particularly intense 6 hours where everything seemed to be falling apart, I've had a bit of light relief and mucked around creating a Harry the Hammer warscroll.  Hugely over the top power wise, but not that difficult to take off the table :)  Happy to modify or change if people fancied playing.

harald-hammerstorm-v1.2.jpg

And yes - it was my intention to allow his hammer to bypass ward saves and half-wound abilities - his hammer is as legendary as Sigmars :P 

[ harald-hammerstorm-v1.2.zip ]

Love it. The 2+ to wound might be a bit much given the other rules, but he IS Harry the Hammer. I'm going to have to get round to painting mine some point. I was thinking of using him as an Exhaulted Deathbringer with Axe and Shield, it just doesn't him justice (your rules do though) 

He still hits less hard than marginally buffed up skull grinder.

So maybe 100-120 points to account for difficulty in killing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers all, was a fun little experimentation (might try and mess around with a few other classic characters when I get spare time).  I think the 100~120 is pretty fair, as you say he doesn't cause as much damage as other characters though his damage does stick a bit more easily against some opponents :)

What I did find quite interesting was how challenging it was to not go "over the top", my original thought was giving him huge buffs against lots of things.

I've got at least one copy of him lurking in a cupboard too, so might have to dig him out (have also got the Games Day Archeon and Chaos Lord that I ought to find at some point).

Ive just realised something. With the wording of the hammer of harry RAW he can obliterate any unit that only has 1 wound per model in one turn. Have 30 crossbowmen? One hit and the entire unit's wounds go to 0 and all of them are dead. Maybe it would be best if he had rules similar to that of his old white dwarf rules with the D6 damage with high rend?

2 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

Ive just realised something. With the wording of the hammer of harry RAW he can obliterate any unit that only has 1 wound per model in one turn. Have 30 crossbowmen? One hit and the entire unit's wounds go to 0 and all of them are dead. Maybe it would be best if he had rules similar to that of his old white dwarf rules with the D6 damage?

I can see how that could come across - I'll rethink the wording to make it a little more what I have in my head.  He'd will only ever have 5 attacks so the best case scenario is he'll do five non-negatable wounds on a unit.  My theory behind the ability is that many Death and Daemon units (his preferred enemy) receive some kind of ward save and some can half the wounds inflicted.  This ability would ensure that if he hits one of them he's going to inflict a healthy lump of damage - enough to make any character think twice about getting into combat!  It also makes him different to some of the other Chaos melee characters.

Just now, Broken Netcode said:

In that case I would make the wording that no abilities or save rolls may be used against wounds from the hammer of harry. I would still suggest a D- roll for his wounds too as that was the main reason harry was seen as so good back in the day with no armour saves too.

Originally I did put him with D6 damage - and then looked at a potential damage output of 5 ~ 30 wounds and realised that it was a mental amount of damage and most opponents would outright refuse to play when you showed them the warscroll!  For a single model I think under 10 damage is a good ballpark figure.

I think this clarifies it a little more and hooks it into the normal rules too.

Each successful wound roll made by the Hammer of Harry inflicts a Lethal Wound.  A Lethal wound is a Mortal Wound that cannot be modified or recovered using any abilities during the phase it was inflicted.

10 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

Yeah the lethal wound is a good idea. Well done on that! I still feel he should have the same power level as grombridnal or any other named character because he is infact the first ever fantasy character but thats my opinion :).

Cheers.  Just had a look at Grombrindal and he's doing D3 normal damage with 6 attacks (on a 3+/3+).  That could work on Harry in fairness, but think he'd need a points boost?

7 hours ago, cranect said:

You can word it like skarbrands axe carnage where it says you take 8 wounds with no saves allowed.

The only issue with that rule is that there is a consensus that wounds suffered from the Carnage rule are eligible to be reduced using special abilities such as half wounds or ward saves.  Until GW confirm it in an FAQ I'd be cautious at going for it

On 10/21/2016 at 9:53 AM, RuneBrush said:

Cheers.  Just had a look at Grombrindal and he's doing D3 normal damage with 6 attacks (on a 3+/3+).  That could work on Harry in fairness, but think he'd need a points boost?

The only issue with that rule is that there is a consensus that wounds suffered from the Carnage rule are eligible to be reduced using special abilities such as half wounds or ward saves.  Until GW confirm it in an FAQ I'd be cautious at going for it

I dont think a points increase would be a bad thing. Being around the 160+ mark with D3 damage is a respectable points setting for anything as powerful as sayl etc. without making him overcosted and unplayable. 

Archived