Beastclaw Raiders + Ironjawz how to build

himmo

Is it possible with rules build army from both this Battletomes. I know about Beast Hammer. Is this list is ok with rules?

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- General
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units
Mournfang Pack x 4 (400)
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 6 (360)
Orruk Brutes x 10 (360)
Orruk Ardboys x 30 (540)

Batallions
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (160)
Weirdfist (100)

Total: 2500/2500

I just do not get it. This rules really sucks. Since the beginning I heard in Age of Sigmar u can take to your army everything what you like. They made so much problems for people who want mixed army's or that's just my point of view?

It's not really a big issue. In the Matched Play section of the General's Handbook they tell you how many Battle line units you need minimum. For example at 2.5k I believe you need 4.

In the same section of the GH where you find the point values for the units it will specify which are battle line. Some, like the mournfang, will say they are battle line under certain circumstances.  In the Mournfang's case it's when your general is on a Stonehorn and your army is composed only of Beastclaws. Others say only battleline with no restriction. Like Greenskin Orruk Boys. So in your list for 400 points you can take 4 units of 10 boys and the rest of your army can be whatever you like form the Destruction book. 

10 hours ago, himmo said:

I just do not get it. This rules really sucks. Since the beginning I heard in Age of Sigmar u can take to your army everything what you like. They made so much problems for people who want mixed army's or that's just my point of view?

Destruction has very few batteline units if you want to mix factions, you need to include basic ogors / grots / orruks / savage (whatever says battleline). 

If you are interested in a Ironjaw / Beastclaw list then there are some interesting conversion opportunities with ogors or orruks that will keep the Ironjaw/Raider look consistent. 

@himmo - Yeh unfortunately the whole battleline thing can be frustrating and seen as stifling towards creativity. I'm looking to add some general Destruction to my Ironjawz but have to break the back of 30 Savage Orruks before I get to it :(

As far as your list goes, it definitely wouldn't be too hard to get some generic battleline in there. The obvious choice is those 30 Ardboyz, who yield a juicy 540 points.

The options are then pretty open, I think my preference would be to take 4x 10 of the units that cost 100 points (Savage Orruks, Orruks, Grots), with the 140 points left you could get yourself a Megaboss to go with the Brutes.

There's countless other configurations you could play with. If you accept the Destruction faction as a whole over just Ironjawz/Beastclaw, you could drop that pricey Weirdnob for a Moonclan Grot Shaman (60pts!!) and put those spare points towards something else after clearing battleline tax...or just a second Shaman!

I know it's a pain and will seem like a total buzz kill right now, but try not to get down on it, there's plenty you can do! :) 

21 hours ago, himmo said:

Hi Himmo,

This is what GW have decided for Matched Play. There are lots of other ways to play the game that allow for more creative freedom. You could ask your group to play games while ignoring the Matched Play restrictions, that's fine, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do just that.

I personally feel Battleline is a step back as well (nobody asked for core-tax again), but it is what GW ended up landing on and if you want to play Matched Play it's what you'll need ot deal with.

I've been thinking about this lately too.  This is what I've come up with so far.  I am not the greatest when it comes to list writing, so this may not play well, you guys will have to critique it.

Leaders

Savage Big Boss (100)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units

Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

2k on the nose.  I went cut the big boss to get the kunnin rukk and an additional artefact.  You may find that it is more worthwhile to drop them for a few cheap shamans.

Any thoughts?  

4 hours ago, Beardbattered said:

I've been thinking about this lately too.  This is what I've come up with so far.  I am not the greatest when it comes to list writing, so this may not play well, you guys will have to critique it.

Leaders

Savage Big Boss (100)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units

Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

2k on the nose.  I went cut the big boss to get the kunnin rukk and an additional artefact.  You may find that it is more worthwhile to drop them for a few cheap shamans.

Any thoughts?  

Hey this looks fun. I agree with your thought on dropping the Kunin Ruk and savage bi boss for the shamans though. Maybe one wardok and a warchanter for the brutes? 

2 hours ago, N_Watson said:

Hey this looks fun. I agree with your thought on dropping the Kunin Ruk and savage bi boss for the shamans though. Maybe one wardok and a warchanter for the brutes? 

Hey @Beardbattered, yeh you're not getting too much out of the Kunnin' Rukk at present. @N_Watson's suggest of a Wardokk and a Warchanter instead of the Big Boss & Battalion is a really good one IMO.

At that point, combine two of the 5 Brutes into a single unit of 10, that way you can maximise the benefit of the Warchanter.

Other than that, nice list!

Hey @Beardbattered, yeh you're not getting too much out of the Kunnin' Rukk at present.

Agree strongly with this. The Savage Orruks in blocks of 10 are just bad chaff, 20 wounds with a 6+ save (not ignoring rend as you don't have the allegiance). They hit like pillows in those numbers. On the other hand you're getting another artefact that way, so perhaps it works. Moonclan Grots are another popular generic battleline unit as they are undercosted.

I think you guys are exactly right.  The battalion isn't worth investing in at this point, even for the artefact.  We could get a LOT more out of a warchanter and a dokk.  And great call on the 10 man brute squad @Chris Tomlin.

I usually run a BCR force that is primarily a stonelord, a thunderhusk, a stonerider, and the rest filled with mournfang cav.  Do you guys think this new list  would improve my odds on scenario play while keeping enough hitting power and resiliency? 

On 19.10.2016 at 2:59 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

@himmo

On 19.10.2016 at 2:59 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

@himmo - Yeh unfortunately the whole battleline thing can be frustrating and seen as stifling towards creativity. I'm looking to add some general Destruction to my Ironjawz but have to break the back of 30 Savage Orruks before I get to it :(

As far as your list goes, it definitely wouldn't be too hard to get some generic battleline in there. The obvious choice is those 30 Ardboyz, who yield a juicy 540 points.

The options are then pretty open, I think my preference would be to take 4x 10 of the units that cost 100 points (Savage Orruks, Orruks, Grots), with the 140 points left you could get yourself a Megaboss to go with the Brutes.

There's countless other configurations you could play with. If you accept the Destruction faction as a whole over just Ironjawz/Beastclaw, you could drop that pricey Weirdnob for a Moonclan Grot Shaman (60pts!!) and put those spare points towards something else after clearing battleline tax...or just a second Shaman!

I know it's a pain and will seem like a total buzz kill right now, but try not to get down on it, there's plenty you can do! :) 

Thanks for advice. I will think how to build my army. But when I need battleline can I take 2 units of savage orruks and 2 units of Ogors? Or I need take 4 units from the same alligance.

@himmo - No worries mate, I think you can add some Battleline to make that list legal pretty easily. As @N_Watson said, you are free to mix and match with the units that are listed as battleline for all of Destruction.

The most popular options would be Moonclan Grots (nets & bodies), Ogors (damage 2, quicker to paint!) & Savage Orruks (2 wounds per model).*

*This is a super simplified look at the options!!

Archived