2000 Point AOS GT List

AaronWilson

Hey guys - Would like some input. I may be attending the first heat of the AoS GT at WHW, I'm thinking of taking the below -

LCoD
Lord Castellant
Knight Venator
Knight Vexillor

5 Judicators
5 Judicators
5 Liberators
10 Retributors
4 Fulminators

The only thing I may be worth changing is dropping the Venator, making the 3rd battleline unit Judicators which would leave me 80 points for something like a gryph hound + a triumph or a Lord Relictor to be at 2000

Appreciate any advice from experienced tournament players, or any advice on the above liss.

That is a nice list but i would find some points somewhere to have either a knight heraldor or upgrade the fulminators to concussors, one or the other.

For example, drop the venator and replace him with the knight heraldor.

OR

Drop the venator and +80 for concussors and +60 to turn the liberators to judicators. 2000 precisely. This one is a pretty big change if you do not have the models.

3 hours ago, kozokus said:

That is a nice list but i would find some points somewhere to have either a knight heraldor or upgrade the fulminators to concussors, one or the other.

For example, drop the venator and replace him with the knight heraldor.

OR

Drop the venator and +80 for concussors and +60 to turn the liberators to judicators. 2000 precisely. This one is a pretty big change if you do not have the models.

Thanks for the advice -

I prefer the Fulminators as a unit, so I'm not looking to swap them but would be interested in why you think the Knight Heraldor would be a better piece to take over the Venator?

3 hours ago, AlexHarrison said:

Seems to me you have a fairly standard setup which covers a lot of the strengths of SE. I wouldnt drop the venator just for the above changes as he can be game changing.

Whats your reasoning for no formations?

The reason for no formations is I don't want to run Skyborne Slayers as I find it awkward to get the perfect set up. Bar SB I'm not a huge fan of any of the Stormcast Formations.

1 minute ago, AaronWIlson said:

The reason for no formations is I don't want to run Skyborne Slayers as I find it awkward to get the perfect set up. Bar SB I'm not a huge fan of any of the Stormcast Formations.

Whats awkward about it? You have 12 inches which is huge as only one model needs to be within 12 inches of that point? Practice makes perfect :)

I agree, the Heraldor doesn't seem too good of a buy in comparison

27 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

28 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Thanks for the advice -

I prefer the Fulminators as a unit, so I'm not looking to swap them but would be interested in why you think the Knight Heraldor would be a better piece to take over the Venator?

Personally I've found the Heraldor to be far more consistent and reliable than the Venator.

20 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

Whats awkward about it? You have 12 inches which is huge as only one model needs to be within 12 inches of that point? Practice makes perfect :)

I agree, the Heraldor doesn't seem too good of a buy in comparison

When I mean the perfect set I, mean to have enough punch in the list to make the formation meaningful. I'm not a fan of the decimator and while I appreciate the protectors CAN blow a monster up it's very dice dependant.

With no formations I feel like I've fmgot the right mix of hammer (Ret blob + Fulminators) , meaningful shooting (judicators + Venator + dracothian stuff) as well as the support piece in the Lord Castellant as well as enough mobile heroes to play Places of power.

18 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

My biggest concern is that youre forgetting armies like Clan Skyra which will decimate the list in 1 round by killing the vexillor and/or the retributors upon arrival. The alpha strike element of AOS is what makes me feel like skybourne slayers prevents that nonsense 

I think on nearly every table there will be decent LoS blocking pieces, or I can simply place the Vexillor in the far back corner of the board.

Secondly I have 9 drops,  a rat army should have more so I should get to choose first turn 

Have you face clan skyre? They only deploy 1 model, rest appears within 3" of you then unloads on average 50 mortal wounds, its horrific. Just one of many threatening tourney lists to be aware from hence why people have taken the loss of damage (rets) for reliability and deployment from the skybourne. Non-the less its a solid list and id like to see some bat reps and reports of your games :)

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

The venator does not serve any purpose except shooting things from afar. His onepuncharrow is not reliable enough to justify this. Dedicated shooting units shoots better than him. On the other hand the Heraldor is Synergic with the fulminators and allow repositionements. He can occasionally TRUMPET a piece of scenery todeal more consistent wounds than the venator.

18 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

My biggest concern is that youre forgetting armies like Clan Skyra which will decimate the list in 1 round by killing the vexillor and/or the retributors upon arrival. The alpha strike element of AOS is what makes me feel like skybourne slayers prevents that nonsense 

I think on nearly every table there will be decent LoS blocking pieces, or I can simply place the Vexillor in the far back corner of the board.

Secondly I have 9 drops,  a rat army should have more so I should get to choose first turn 

1 hour ago, AlexHarrison said:

Have you face clan skyre? They only deploy 1 model, rest appears within 3" of you then unloads on average 50 mortal wounds, its horrific. Just one of many threatening tourney lists to be aware from hence why people have taken the loss of damage (rets) for reliability and deployment from the skybourne. Non-the less its a solid list and id like to see some bat reps and reports of your games :)

Thanks for your solid advice, I haven't played a list like you mentioned but it sounds like it could be a problem!

1 hour ago, kozokus said:

The venator does not serve any purpose except shooting things from afar. His onepuncharrow is not reliable enough to justify this. Dedicated shooting units shoots better than him. On the other hand the Heraldor is Synergic with the fulminators and allow repositionements. He can occasionally TRUMPET a piece of scenery todeal more consistent wounds than the venator.

While I appreciate your comments I think the merits of the venator are a little more then just shooting from a far, he is a solid piece on places of power and a great model to tear away at a wizard 

best defense against the skyre list is shooting + gryph-hounds or your own teleporting list. I'm not a storm cast player but I feel your list is a little small I guess your aiming for MSU style. I think your list may have a little trouble against a shooty list or artillery as they will tend to out range you. 

best defense against the skyre list is shooting + gryph-hounds or your own teleporting list. I'm not a storm cast player but I feel your list is a little small I guess your aiming for MSU style. I think your list may have a little trouble against a shooty list or artillery as they will tend to out range you. 

The second suggestion is a good one. Due to objectives and feeding in units one at a time rather than dropping in 2 dollops, Skyborne Slayers should bear Clan Skryre every day of the week.

Unfortunately Gryph Hounds don't really work against the Clan Skryre formation as they can deploy outside of the bubble, then walk in, then shoot 8. At best it complicates their targeting, but don't expect it to be foolproof.

25 minutes ago, Nico said:

The second suggestion is a good one. Due to objectives and feeding in units one at a time rather than dropping in 2 dollops, Skyborne Slayers should bear Clan Skryre every day of the week.

Unfortunately Gryph Hounds don't really work against the Clan Skryre formation as they can deploy outside of the bubble, then walk in, then shoot 8. At best it complicates their targeting, but don't expect it to be foolproof.

I was under the impression that the deep striking for clan skyre counts as their moving so I didnt think they can move after. Can someone add the rules for this as per the tunneling rule it counts as movement so I may of misread the ability.

was under the impression that the deep striking for clan skyre counts as their moving so I didnt think they can move after. Can someone add the rules for this as per the tunneling rule it counts as movement so I may of misread the ability.

You have misread it - they come on in the hero phase and there's nothing to stop them moving thereafter. The regular Warpgrinder has different rules - the standard 9 and cannot move - you may be thinking of those.

10 minutes ago, Nico said:

You have misread it - they come on in the hero phase and there's nothing to stop them moving thereafter. The regular Warpgrinder has different rules - the standard 9 and cannot move - you may be thinking of those.

can you quote the formation rule/ the rule that allows this, if you have it id like to read it as I believe this is where the 3" deep strike may come from.. I was under the impression that you need the warpgrinders for the formation to work. 

In hero phase...

"Set up one ... Warp Grinder anywhere on the Battlefield, then set up each other unit from the Enginecoven within 8" of it. Any unit that is set up within 3" of the enemy suffers D6 mortal wounds."

This illustrates quite well that "moves" are distinct from "set up" rules (also see page 2 of the normal FAQ on Set Up) - if there's no express restriction on how close you can be - you can be adjacent to the enemy unit. Obviously there's nothing that says that this counts as its move for the subsequent movement phase either. Yes - it's that broken.

53 minutes ago, Nico said:

In hero phase...

"Set up one ... Warp Grinder anywhere on the Battlefield, then set up each other unit from the Enginecoven within 8" of it. Any unit that is set up within 3" of the enemy suffers D6 mortal wounds."

This illustrates quite well that "moves" are distinct from "set up" rules (also see page 2 of the normal FAQ on Set Up) - if there's no express restriction on how close you can be - you can be adjacent to the enemy unit. Obviously there's nothing that says that this counts as its move for the subsequent movement phase either. Yes - it's that broken.

can I ask what is this formation called?

Archived