2000 SC List

EchoHavoc

This is my very first attempted at an AoS list. Its meant for tournament and competitive play, therefore, I am very keen on critical feedback. 

The list is based around the SkySlayers formation. My biggest fear is that once its in play its the slowest list around. Just want to say in advance I have no idea what artefacts are good for order so I just picked for survivability. 

The idea is very simple, use the formation to drop units where I need them and charge in the large group of protectors/Decimators, then use the Knight Vexillor to move the Retributors into play. As Stormcast suffer from a very low model count my main plan was to Deepstrike the heavy hitters and cripple the enemy heroes/power units asap. An obvious weakness for this list would be sped, once the army arrives from Deepstrike they are slow as hell, I just don't know how to counter this problem.

LEADERS
Lord Celestant (100)

- General
- Artefact : Phoenix Stone
- Command Trait : Reckless

Knight Vexillor (200)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer - Artefact : Phoenix Stone

UNITS
Liberators x 5 (100)

- Warhammer & Shield - Grandblades : 0
- Grandhammers : 0

Liberators x 5 (100) - Warhammer & Shield - Grandblades : 0
- Grandhammers : 0

Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow : 1
- Thunderbolt Crossbow : 0

Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow : 1
- Thunderbolt Crossbow : 0

Paladin Decimators x 5 (200) - Starsoul Mace : 2

Paladin Protectors x 10 (400) - Starsoul Mace : 2

Paladin Retributors x 10 (440) - Starsoul Mace : 4

BATTALIONS
The Skyborne Slayers (140)

WOUNDS: 125 TOTAL POINTS: 2000 / 2000 

Overall list looks solid. 

Im currently building something very similar, although I am unsure as to whether the Vexillor + Retributors are worth it over 2 LCoD + 5 more Decimators.

The Retributors seem more killy but if you're going second, are you not worried about an alpha strike on the vexillor, leaving the retributors slow at the backfield? The extra decimators helps the anti-horde element and the LCoD still provide decent combat ability, manoeuvrability which youre currently lacking and still a source of mortal wounds?

Another thing, for the Judicators, is the Thunderbolt Crossbow not worthwhile? I'd have thought the almost garenteed (at most units) d3 mortal wounds is better than d6 damage? The range is still 18" and gives the Judicators a weapon which allows them to really strip wounds off. 

Just a thought as I am in a similar boat :D

Make sure to take grandhammers or blades on your liberator primes.

I am not certain the hero count is enough for 3 places of power. You can, in theory, sit one of each on 2 objectives and win but even so you're 5 wounds from having 1 scoring model (almost certain to lose that scenario).

I would also take 4 starsoul maces with the protectors. Or take just 5 freeing 200 pts for another hero choice (or two). I think 10 for one of the paladin units is best when you don't take a ret bomb with the skyborne slayers.

Aside from that its two classic stormcast tricks. I might try something similar out for my game tomorrow because I am talking out of my ass right now in terms of the feedback Im giving - its based on theory and ideas. Not experience running this exact list.

Even so, I don't know what level you're thinking of when you are in tourneys but I think the presence of two teleporty things is a bit easy to counter for some more experienced players.

Or maybe it's better to say it's a two trick pony list but the tricks are rather similar.

1 hour ago, AlexHarrison said:

Another thing, for the Judicators, is the Thunderbolt Crossbow not worthwhile? I'd have thought the almost garenteed (at most units) d3 mortal wounds is better than d6 damage? The range is still 18" and gives the Judicators a weapon which allows them to really strip wounds off. 

On a unit with 5 or more models it's a basically guaranteed ranged starsoul mace. However the range mismatch with the bows (I have 2 units juds, both with bows but one with bow special and one with xbow special - because I thought along the same lines as you) creates a positioning dilemma.

Ideally you just want to be within the 29 inch threat range with bows at all times making the most of that lovely range, avoiding return fire where possible and staying well out of range of longshot charges.

With a crossbow your intent for that unit is split. You want to be close enough to use the special but the rest of the unit wants more distance.

For me, it led to bad decisions or (in the game where my judicators did best) a unit of 4 juds and no special at 29 inches. And the specials are the strongest thing about 5 man jud units.

Actually if you trim off 5 protectors and keep the 10 man ret bomb you can take a Knight Heraldor and a Lord Relictor. Good for 3 places of power and the Heraldor helps (a touch) with mobility.

You could take a Knight Venator instead of the heraldor too, another useful tool.

Another alternative is to keep 10 protectors and drop the retbomb. Then take say an LCoD and 2 Dracothian guard and a heraldor. 

Or two LCoDs and a heraldor with a wee sneaky Lord Relictor.

Or take 10 decimators, take 10 protectors, and 2 x LCoD.

There are too many choices!

From watching people play with Storm Cast and from reading the forums I think the best option for Judicators is bows. As I said in my original post, this is my first attempt at an AoS list. I've played a few games (using my friends army). The Skyborne Slayers worked very well for me. However, I am new to the game. 

16 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Make sure to take grandhammers or blades on your liberator primes.

I am not certain the hero count is enough for 3 places of power. You can, in theory, sit one of each on 2 objectives and win but even so you're 5 wounds from having 1 scoring model (almost certain to lose that scenario).

I would also take 4 starsoul maces with the protectors. Or take just 5 freeing 200 pts for another hero choice (or two). I think 10 for one of the paladin units is best when you don't take a ret bomb with the skyborne slayers.

Aside from that its two classic stormcast tricks. I might try something similar out for my game tomorrow because I am talking out of my ass right now in terms of the feedback Im giving - its based on theory and ideas. Not experience running this exact list.

Even so, I don't know what level you're thinking of when you are in tourneys but I think the presence of two teleporty things is a bit easy to counter for some more experienced players.

Or maybe it's better to say it's a two trick pony list but the tricks are rather similar.

1 hour ago, AlexHarrison said:

Overall list looks solid. 

Im currently building something very similar, although I am unsure as to whether the Vexillor + Retributors are worth it over 2 LCoD + 5 more Decimators.

The Retributors seem more killy but if you're going second, are you not worried about an alpha strike on the vexillor, leaving the retributors slow at the backfield? The extra decimators helps the anti-horde element and the LCoD still provide decent combat ability, manoeuvrability which youre currently lacking and still a source of mortal wounds?

I forgot to add the grand hammers when I was building this list, this morning. I'll amend that going forward. Just looking at the Stormcast heroes I think the only one I would really add would be the LCoD. I've read a bunch about the Prime but for me I think he'd be too unpredictable. The Knight Azyros might be alright but again I'm not convinced.

I'd like this to be a tournament list. I would really like to get into the AoS U.K tourney scene, which is why I'm after any advice

I agree with the bows, what I meant was the spcial crossbow which deals an auto-d3 mortal wounds on any enemy unit bigger than 5 man. Its still 18" range so you can stay out of charge range from most infantry units. Simply placing him closest then the rest of the bowmen within 24 seems ideal but I have yet to playtest. I understand the need to keep them at max range however, so perhaps not ideal but to me it seems the better buy out of the two special weapons for the Judicators.

Also sticking the Protectors infront of them means they can't be countered too easily. 

Agreed about the UK tourney scene. Im a 40k tourney player (part of the England ETC team) but i'm picking up AOS as a side project :)

21 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

I agree with the bows, what I meant was the spcial crossbow which deals an auto-d3 mortal wounds on any enemy unit bigger than 5 man. Its still 18" range so you can stay out of charge range from most infantry units. Simply placing him closest then the rest of the bowmen within 24 seems ideal but I have yet to playtest. I understand the need to keep them at max range however, so perhaps not ideal but to me it seems the better buy out of the two special weapons for the Judicators.

Also sticking the Protectors infront of them means they can't be countered too easily. 

Agreed about the UK tourney scene. Im a 40k tourney player (part of the England ETC team) but i'm picking up AOS as a side project :)

Oh right! I hadn't read that properly but you are right. To be honest for what I plan on using them for crossbows might not be a bad choice (literally just read the rules for crossbows).

I'm pretty active in the 40k world as well. I'm heading out to America to participate in the LVO next year, which should be awesome.

3 minutes ago, EchoHavoc said:

Oh right! I hadn't read that properly but you are right. To be honest for what I plan on using them for crossbows might not be a bad choice (literally just read the rules for crossbows).

I'm pretty active in the 40k world as well. I'm heading out to America to participate in the LVO next year, which should be awesome.

The crossbows only have a 12" range so they are risky, and you want them sitting on objectives which are loitered around. I like the bows for the rend and wound roll, although the extra shots are nice. Puts them potentially too close for comfort, whereas the bows + special crossbow have the range and efficiency.

Oh cool, I won the LVO this year, was an amazing event :)

I dig the above list, I'm planning on not using SB at an upcoming event but I've played around with a bunch of lists that use SB.

The option to use or not use the teleporting retributors was tricky, I feel like they give the list a much needed punch but it's also essentially your whole list.

I wouuld maybe try adding something like a venator, blob paladin protector squad (I really dislike the decimators as a unit) and then a LCOD or something.

While the teleporting retributors is tempting it leaves very little in your list for real support models.

32 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

The crossbows only have a 12" range so they are risky, and you want them sitting on objectives which are loitered around. I like the bows for the rend and wound roll, although the extra shots are nice. Puts them potentially too close for comfort, whereas the bows + special crossbow have the range and efficiency.

Oh cool, I won the LVO this year, was an amazing event :)

Was that the Eldar vs Eldar final? You had the warp spider list?

7 hours ago, Turragor said:

You could take a Knight Venator instead of the heraldor too, another useful tool.

Yep, I run him with my slayers formation including the rest bomb and the venator always one shots wizards, or generals if it's likely to one shot. Obviously there's no point wasting his shot on a monster when the rets can just blow through it.

Archived