Stormfiends

Sneak

The Ratling Cannons don't give you enough range to offset how much less damage they do than WFTs. Unbuffed they put out 2,63 wounds on average per cannon before saves. Warpfire puts out 4 and generally ignores saves. So RCs aren't useless, it's just hard to justify them over WFT for the same points.

My first instinct was to go 2x WFT 1x Tunneler (as a form of deepstrike/reach for a Bloodbound core). This turned out to feel suboptimal as they can't shoot when they emerge, the emerge is random and they unreliably charge 9" (even if you could buff their charge they come on after the Hero phase). All of this I could have told myself before assembling/trying it, but it felt more attractive on paper. It's possible 2x Ratling 1x Tunneler has a place but I kinda doubt it.

Also depends on how you're structuring your army.

If running the clan skryre formation then you don't need the grinderfists and can just pop them up using the formation rules inside 8" and shoot with 3x WFTs.  That is the most easiest way of getting the WFTs into position without risk.

If you're not running the formation you're either tunnelling them and having to pop up 9" away which makes the WFT pretty pointless as it's out of range or you're running them on the table. 

I've been running them on the table but then my list has been built around buffing them up and launching them forwards.  This bring in the single model that all optimum chaos lists should have in their collection - Sayl the Faithless.  He makes the 3 x fire throwers unit have an easy way to get into range or to get a combat unit forward to get into the fight early in the game.

The combo I've been running is a unit of 6 with 4 shock gauntlets and 2 grinderfists.  This was largely driven by those were the options I picked up off someone second hand for cheap!  But because of that I was looking at how I could best utilise that particular setup.  As a result I've got Sayl and a packmaster to buff them before tossing them forward into combat.  18" move, charge of 2d6+1 and +1 to hit is what those pair give the unit and that works a treat with the shock gauntlets exploding hits on 6+.

I'm going to magnetise mine, but will be running all with shock gauntlets for the upcoming tournament. add a pack master and they do d6 on a 5-6 with rend -1 and 2 damage should be quite good. just have to figure out a way to make a couple more

Archived