Looking at Nurgle warband, help please!

wayniac

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing a second army for AOS; not feeling my Flesh-Eater Courts.  After doing some research and reading some old fluff, I've decided to go with a Nurgle-themed army that I want to do in a similar manner to the original Realm of Chaos warbands; mixing daemons, mortals, maybe even Beastmen or even Skaven, the overall idea being that a champion of Nurgle has gathered all these fetid followers under his banner.  It doesn't have to be quite that varied; I would be happy with just Daemons + Mortals if necessary, just I know the original ROC stuff could let you take Skaven and Beastmen followers too so they popped into my mind.  My grand idea (which may have to tone down a lot when it gets fleshed out to include actual points and work in the game) would be for each of these continents to be, in effect, a mini-warband itself with a leader.  So, for example, a Daemon contingent would have a Herald, a Mortal contingent would have a Lord, a Beastman contingent would have a Beastlord or Shaman, and a Pestilens group would have a Plague Priest (Verminlords being above servitude), all of whom in the fluff would be subservient to my overall commander (who is undecided currently, but I'm really liking the Orghotts Daemonspew model so potentially him, or maybe even the Glottkin themselves), to give the impression of these different warbands coming together.

Where should I begin with this?  I'm eyeing the Start Collecting! Daemons of Nurgle box.  Thanks to Matched Play though I'm not quite sure what to expand with afterwards; I really like the Putrid Blightkings, but they wouldn't be Battleline if I include the daemons.  I could buy another box of Plaguebearers to give me two units to make Battleline, and then go from there?  I will have probably around $250 (USD) to spend this coming weekend on the army (buying from my local GW store), with the caveat I want to use the Shattered Dominion bases for them all for cohesion so that will eat up some of the funds I have  buying those boxes.  With the app having the warscrolls for free, can I skip purchasing the Grand Alliance: Chaos book, since I'm not considering any battalions right now?

If I do use the Start Collecting box as a base, what should I start buying next to build like a decent 1,000 point starting force, probably Mortals + Daemons since those are my favorite groups and I can add Beastmen and/or Skaven later.  Ideally for fluff purposes I'd like the mortal group to be the "main" one and its leader as the overall General, at least for now (later if I add Orghotts or the Glottkin I can weave them into the narrative).

20 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Your plan is probably not going to work how you like it to as an army due to battle line constraints and synergy. But, as a collection it certainly will.

What would work then, just daemons + mortals?  The collection is only part of the battle because Matched Play is the default here, no deviation so I have to adhere to it in some regards.  If I can do daemons + mortals (particularly Blightkings) I'd be happy with that, because ultimately this is going to be played not sit on a shelf, so I have to follow Matched Play or else I won't get any games.

You wouldn't be able to take blightkings as battleline if you take daemons, you'd need to run your battleline units as plague bearers, chaos warriors or marauders.

This is my mortal nurgle list, its a fairly strong list.my with high synergy.

I'm working on a mixed mortal daemon list featuring my freshly painted glottkin. 

Screenshot_20161001-151054.jpg

You wouldn't be able to take blightkings as battleline if you take daemons, you'd need to run your battleline units as plague bearers, chaos warriors or marauders.
This is my mortal nurgle list, its a fairly strong list.my with high synergy.
I'm working on a mixed mortal daemon list featuring my freshly painted glottkin. 
Screenshot_20161001-151054.jpg

What if he took 2+ wizards and summoned the daemons.

Wouldn't that let him use the blight kings as battleline and sit the units of plague bearers near objectives.

Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily mind using Plaguebearers as Battleline if I have to.  Just trying to figure out a plan of attack that can be fluffy and cool but based mainly around daemons + mortals, if I can't do the true mixed warband due to synergy.

19 minutes ago, TrexPushups said:

What if he took 2+ wizards and summoned the daemons.

Wouldn't that let him use the blight kings as battleline and sit the units of plague bearers near objectives.

Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that would work, not much to summon tbh, drones are about it, units of 10 plague bearers don't really do anything other than road block and the GUO is a higher cast so harder.

So any idea what would be a fluffy but strong 1k point list with daemons and mortals? So i know what I should buy this weekend :). Sounds like I can't do a full mixed warband but im ok with that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I have a similar goal to you regarding collecting a nurgle themed army and being a bit frustrated with the battle line element. I have the start collecting nurgle daemons (bang on 500 points) the glottkin, Lord of plagues and a unit of blight kings for my rotbringers bit and basically the start collecting skaven pestilens. I don't think you can go wrong by getting the daemon start collecting plus another unit of plague bearers, and then decide which way to go from there.

I have been running Daemons of Nurgle since AoS came out. I have had great success using Plaguebears as battline. A Great Unclean one summoning a unit of them 14" down range really annoys your opponent. Honestly (2) start collecting and a Great Unlcean one makes for a solid army. Sprinkle in some Rotbringers and Slaves to Darkness with marks of Nurgle (valid battline in there) and you will have a large themey Nurgle army.

1 hour ago, AllanBallan said:

Ark, I'm sad to say that your list is illegal :/

Plaguetuched warband states one mortal nurgle hero and seven mortal nurgle units and you only have 6 units, you need one more.

Just a heads up!

Kind regards

/Allan

The gorebeast chariots are separate. It allows me a higher chance of triggering mortal wounds on the charge which triggers hopefully bloabs spell.

I'd start out with a Harbinger of Decay, a unit of Warriors and a unit of Plaguebearers - then fill your boots with what you want if you're going mixed.

Personally I use a Rotbringers allegiance (for the battleline Blightkings), so have to use a Sorcerer or the Glottkin for my summoning (Plaguebearers or Plague Drones).

I'm not sold on summoning to be honest that's kind of what is making me want to change from playing my Flesh eaters because summoning cost points in matched play.

It seems like my best bet would be to get the start collecting box maybe another unit of plague bearers and then go from there since I have battleline met. Although I do read that Plaguebearers are better in a huge block with honestly doesn't appeal to me (I dislike horde armies) but if I have to do it I will. Honestly I am not too happy with the General's handbook and battle line at all lately because of things like this and the fact that everyone wants to use it but that's not a battle to fight now.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Here's a battle tested (against flesh eaters) 1000 point list to give you an idea, it mainly relies on Epidemius for synergy:

Leaders
Epidemius (180)

Units
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 10 (100)
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 10 (100)
Bile Trolls x 3 (200)
Bile Trolls x 3 (200)

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)

Total: 960/1000

Not everyone has Bile Trolls (but you should, they're great) so drop in two units of blight kings instead. 

This will give you a good feel of a Nurgle army and let you know if you're going to enjoy it in the long run. Your mans are slow but resilient, and your army will eventually whittle people down over a few turns.

Archived