Rats are running out of time, list talk!

Dez

Hi all!

You can usually find me in the Destruction forums, chatting it up about Ironjawz. I have a tournament coming up next Saturday...and there is no way I'll have them finished and painted in time. To me, having a fully painted army is more important so I'm switching gears to Skaven my true love in Warhammer. I have 2500 points in 8th edition equivalent painted up.

Now my quandary is that I'm stupid and decided I'm going to rebase them all beforehand. This won't be too bad...but in doing so I want to update some of the paint scheme. This means I can probably get a few extra models done here and there, in particular I'm going to have to paint Tretch and a couple of weapons teams. Luckily I've always had a thing for Stormvermin, so I have almost 40 ready to go. I've also got some Slaves who were recently raised up to clanrat status, so I have 84 painted up which I need to add a couple standards and a musician to.

I'm going with a heavy Verminus slant with this list. Here is what I have so far:

Leaders
Tretch Craventail (100)
- General
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Warpforged Blade
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Arch Warlock (140)
Screaming Bell (260)
Skaven Assassin (100)
- Weeping Blades

Units
Clanrats x 40 (240)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Stormvermin x 30 (420)
- Halberd & Shield
Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team x 1 (60)
Gutter Runners x 5 (60)

Behemoths

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Batallions
Verminus Clawpack (80)

Total: 1980/2000

My thoughts are that I won't have much trouble outnumbering on objectives. I have enough Mortal Wound output to put the hurt on Heroes. Gutter Runners and Assassin can be put in any place I need to apply pressure/put in a presence. In Places of Power, I have pretty resilient heroes in the Screaming Bell and Arch Warlock.

Here's what else I have painted I could add in:

Warlord on Brood Horror

Doomwheel

Another WLC

Hellpit Abomination

6 Ogres....these I'd love to add in, they are fully converted and painted really nicely

2 Packmaster

A bunch of Giant rats

I have no Stormfiends. I do have a bunch of stuff I could speed build and paint but would rather work with what I have. For instance, I have:

Thanquol and Boneripper

Forge World Verminlord

Ratling Gun

3 Poison Wind Mortar

2 more Warpfire

...basically a huge legal box full of Skaven goodies.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hmm...my verminus lists all have a unit of stormfiends. To tunnel up and unleash rattling cannons on whatever.

Your list is similar to mine. But then again all verminus lists are. I made a different list with a focus more on utility and options rather then bodies.

Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Arch Warlock (140)
UNITS
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Spear
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Spear
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Spear
Stormvermin x 20 (280)
- Halberd & Shield
Warplock Jezzails x 6 (280)
Stormfiends x 3 (300)
- Ratling Cannons/Grinderfist 
Stormfiends x 3 (300)
- Ratling Cannons/Grinderfist
MONSTERS
Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (200) General

The Warlord stays near the Stormvermin at all times for lots of attacks. 2 units of happy stormfriends can pop up anywhere and blast whoever. Jezzails are Jezzails. The Warpseer has one of the best mess you up spells there is with huge range. 

Now some people cry out for more clanrats but they are there to die. Whether it's defending a spot or soaking up fire or stopping a chaege. The point is for your opponent to waste stuff on then. Does a skaven warlord care about his endless minions? No as long as they do their job...which is distraction.

So take my opinions with caution as I am a newly converted 30k player with no actual sigma games under my belt.....

I think the list looks nice and rounded. As you say, plenty of heroes, some large units to benefit from the verminus pack and then some mortal wound hurt. If it where me though, I'd maybe ditch the bell for the second wlc. Curently your mortal wounds output is largely the weapon teams the need to get in 8" So I feel the second wlc would offer more than the bell can, it seems a little out of place.

You could then use the left over points for an extra unit of rats or add to an existing one

Just ideas based on my limited AOS knowledge

It totally makes sense, and something I'm strongly considering. The funny thing about the Bell right now is I mainly have it in as a centerpiece for my painting score haha. It also will be really beneficial for Places of Power. I keep going back and forth on it and the WLC for sure though.

I agree with @Malakithe. Drop the largest clanrat unit down to ten. They're there to die valiantly for your cause.

Drop the bell as well. Use the leftover points for Rat Ogres :D I love Rat Ogres. They're the reason I picked up Skaven in the first place. Make sure to include a Packmaster to herd them into the fray, then sit back and watch the body parts fly. The 440 points from dropping 30 clanrats and the bell will buy you four RO's and a Packmaster with 140 points left over. That could get you another two RO's, or another arch warlock to make up for the loss of a wizard :)

I'm mulling it over and having second thoughts on the hordes of Clan Rats. I'm going to review all the scenarios again for sure. I'm trying to bring all the paintjobs up a level, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it through 60 Clan Rats and 40 Stormvermin alone adding 2-3 layers of highlights. I think it is time to call in the Ogres...but perhaps keep The Bell. At least I'll get a good painting score. 

All my Clan Rats are HW/S, I wish I had all the spears painted (I've read that great thread, btw).

Send more thoughts! I've got a bit of time yet.

5 hours ago, Dez said:

I'm mulling it over and having second thoughts on the hordes of Clan Rats. I'm going to review all the scenarios again for sure. I'm trying to bring all the paintjobs up a level, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it through 60 Clan Rats and 40 Stormvermin alone adding 2-3 layers of highlights. I think it is time to call in the Ogres...but perhaps keep The Bell. At least I'll get a good painting score. 

All my Clan Rats are HW/S, I wish I had all the spears painted (I've read that great thread, btw).

Send more thoughts! I've got a bit of time yet.

I'm very happy with going horde on the clan rats. Might also be because that's what made me choose Skaven though. But losing the bell for Rat Ogres and scaling down the warlock getting two regular warlocks instead, sounds good to me. 

Ok so I played a practice game, and I'm thinking of retooling a bit:

Leaders
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Warpforged Blade
Tretch Craventail (100)
- General
Arch Warlock (140)
Skaven Assassin (100)
- Weeping Blades
Sayl The Faithless (160)

Units
Clanrats x 30 (180)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Stormvermin x 30 (420)
- Halberd & Shield
Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team x 1 (60)
Gutter Runners x 5 (60)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Verminus Clawpack (80)

Total: 2000/2000

The list worked nicely, Stormvermin being MVP. I'll probably tweak this by changing out the PWM for Ratling guns, it was nice when they hit but they only worked about once per game. The Gutter Runners and Assassin were ok. I'd say (surprisingly) that the unit of 30 Clan Rats were another great unit. I was really able to pressure/defend objectives with them.

Leaders
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Warpforged Blade
Tretch Craventail (100)
- General
Arch Warlock (140)
Skaven Assassin (100)
- Weeping Blades
Sayl The Faithless (160)

Units
Clanrats x 30 (180)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Clanrats x 10 (60)
- Rusty Blade
Stormvermin x 30 (420)
- Halberd & Shield
Gutter Runners x 5 (60)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Verminus Clawpack (80)

Total: 2000/2000

Archived