Replacement/conversion for Yhetees and Frost Sabres

ogmaadn

Hi all,

I've been taking a look at the Yhetees models, and they are extremely disgusting... Besides I don´t like frost sabres either :/ 

So I am thinking about some alternatives to replace or convert these models and making them look cooler. 

What could be some of these "legal" options? By "legal" I mean something supported and allowed by the rules.

I've thought about replacing Frost Sabres with Fenrisian Wolves -which seems the most reasonable and viable option and, as far as I know, it is absolutely "legal" and allowed by the rules- but what about Yhetees? 

My favourite option to replace them are Gorgers. The problem is that I'm not sure if Yhetees and Gorgers are the same height and size (so that I don't know if that could be allowed in terms of rules since you can get some advantages/disadvantages because of this different height and size).

If it is not possible to replace Yhetees with Gorgers, maybe some conversion with Gorger's parts could be enough to make Yhetees a bit cooler?

Thanks!

Hello.

Fenrisen wolves definitely seem to be the go to for alternative sabres.

The models are awesome and so dynamic. I've got a full unit of 12 waiting in line.

I don't know how comfortable you're  with green stuff but I've been looking at Crypt Horrors as possible yethees.

Would need to green stuff fur though.

I am not sure if it is "legal" ( I am not fan of GW sculpts only) but great for yhetees are Chaos Trolls from Gamezone (I have all three). And for sabretusks Battlecats (riden by Savage Orcs) from Warewoolf. I plan to use them instead of some boars for Icebone Warclan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much @meet.the.doctor and @Dangermouse425for your responses!

@Dangermouse425 FW Skin Wolves is a really nice option to keep up with the theme of the army while having such beautiful models. However, a question has just come up...

Because Skin Wolves come with 60mm round bases whereas Yhetees have a smaller one of 50mm, so, if I am not mistaken, it is not allowed or "legal" to use Skin Wolves as Yhetees.

Otherwise, is there any problem with the size of these miniatures? I mean, I don't know the actual size of the FW Skin Wolves, but they look perhaps a bit bigger than the Yhetees.

So it would be great to use Skin Wolves replacing Yhetees, but I'm not sure that is actually possible because of the rules and different base size... I would appreciate any help on this.

Thank you once again!

13 hours ago, ogmaadn said:

Thank you very much @meet.the.doctor and @Dangermouse425for your responses!

@Dangermouse425 FW Skin Wolves is a really nice option to keep up with the theme of the army while having such beautiful models. However, a question has just come up...

Because Skin Wolves come with 60mm round bases whereas Yhetees have a smaller one of 50mm, so, if I am not mistaken, it is not allowed or "legal" to use Skin Wolves as Yhetees.

Otherwise, is there any problem with the size of these miniatures? I mean, I don't know the actual size of the FW Skin Wolves, but they look perhaps a bit bigger than the Yhetees.

So it would be great to use Skin Wolves replacing Yhetees, but I'm not sure that is actually possible because of the rules and different base size... I would appreciate any help on this.

Thank you once again!

The question of "legality" with bases is a funny one in AoS, and a story perhaps for another day.  However, I highly doubt anyone will criticise you for having models with a larger base size, it's usually trying to put models on a smaller base size than they're meant to be on which will raise eyebrows, ie: putting Ironjawz Ardboys (32mm) on 25mm bases, or Brutes (40mm) on 32mms would be questionable. This is because you can fit more of these units into combat with a smaller base size, therefore "modelling for advantage".

I myself often put models on larger bases when they're characters, ie: My Moonclan Grots are on 25mms, my Moonclan Grot Shamans on 32mms and my Moonclan Grot Warboss on 40mm. I've seen people using the old Skarsnik model on a small cavalry oval! They're all just Grots at the end of the day, and all came with 20mm squares originally. (With the exception of Skarsnik, of course!)

From the looks of it, you could easily fit the FW Skin Wolves onto 50mms, therefore being the correct base size for Yhetees. Alternatively, if you wanted to keep them on 60mms, I don't think anyone would complain. I think they're just the right size for Yhetees, and much nicer models to boot. 

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:53 PM, ogmaadn said:

What could be some of these "legal" options? By "legal" I mean something supported and allowed by the rules.

I've thought about replacing Frost Sabres with Fenrisian Wolves -which seems the most reasonable and viable option and, as far as I know, it is absolutely "legal" and allowed by the rules

Afternoon,

I am a little unclear what you mean by legal? You say "something support and allowed by the rules", however I'm not aware there is such a thing? Do you mean allowed at GW events? I'm not such where else it would come up.

That said, I do think any replacement, proxy or conversion needs to be suitable, both the model and its base size (@Dangermouse425 covers bases above). Is this what you mean?

Recently at a tournament I saw a player using Fenrisian Wolves on round bases, I think 50mm or 60mm, to represent Yhetees (lots of Yhettees!!). Whilst I was personally not overly keen on this choice myself, I don't think there would be any issue confusing it in game once explained at the beginning.

For me, Fenrisian Wolves are a go to choice for Sabretusks (on 60x35mm ovals), Yhetees are a little trickier. It's a shame GW didn't produce a new kit as I feel it would've sold very well. Are you limiting yourself to GW models?

@Dangermouse425 Fair enough. Thank you once again for making this clear. I was just worried about tournaments or official events where the rules or "legality" could be quite strict about sizes, bases and so on. But I hope I won't have any problem with it if I ever decide to take part in any of these events.

@Chris Tomlin Sorry, I think I didn't make it clear enough. By "legal" I was just referring to tournaments or official events where rules about sizes, bases or conversions could become more strict. But I guess replacing Sabretusks for Fenrisian Wolves is not a big deal, same if I replace Yhetees with FW Skin Wolves. And yes, it is a shame that GW has not produced new models for Yhetees so far. But for now I prefer to stick only to GW models (or FW), that is why I think Skin Wolves is the best and greatest option to replace them, it could work really well (I just hope Skin Wolves and Yethees are the same size though).

@Metzombie Well, that could be a really nice one... If I were able to work on it. But it seems a bit difficult for me since I haven´t done any conversion on a miniature so far and I don't have any practice. So I think I will go for the easy option and just pick some FW Skin Wolves as Yhetees.

Lately I've considered Dire Wolves as another  darker option for Sabretusks, but I think the models are smaller than Sabretusks or Fenrisian Wolves models (I don't know yet but I think Fenrisian Wolves and Sabretusks models are the same size).

Archived