Sarkazim Workbench

Sarkazim

Made the leap and jumping into AoS after narrowing down the Army and list that I want to build.  Just need to setup a home to track my progress, and keep going.

The Start:
DEStart_zpsofqhkwqz.jpg
It's a bit Daunting at first, seeing as I've gone and gotten the whole thing, but at least the end is in sight from the very beginning.  In addition to the 12 boxes, I've managed to get four different 'Assassin' models.  The previous and current Assassin (with a small color test that you can't really see) are there.  The old Shadowblade model, and for the fourth, I took a Harlequin Solitaire model from the 40k line, filed off/Greenstuff'd off the Sci-fi elements and did an arm swap with one of the Warlock arms from the Dark Riders.

Basing:
Base1_zpsfoj1fzye.jpg
I also have 50/60 Cav. Bases that I'll need.  The last 10 are on order, and should be in next week!  Having recently completed a Bloodthirster and no plans for the day, I got the bug real bad and dove right in.  I tried using the Super Sculpey method to make chunks of ruins for the bases but just wasn't happy with the result, despite keeping 2 of the Assassins on them, at least for now.  I went back to using Wood Filler to get these to where they are currently.  The Downside is they needs a while to fully dry/harden.  

Most hobbying I've done in one day in a while, so I'm quite excited to share this.

I saw a tutorial on doing a 'moonlit' unit so the inspiration started there.  Going with Purples and Blues is the plan.  Mostly because I've never painted those colors.  The challenge I always have to deal with is my Color Deficiency.  So I rely heavily on the paint labels and critique.  

Ive got the palettes for the Horses, Flesh, and Armor set.  I haven't settled on Bone, Gold or Silver for any Trim work or Weapons yet.  I'm also debating a red glow effect on the weapons, but it's still just an idea in my mind.  What I haven't settled on is the cloaks/robes.  I'm out looking for ideas still, but I'm not worried about it yet.

Since the focus is to get the Horses done.  They're going on the bases so I can sand and seal the bases.  I'll probably Prime them at this stage so that I can start painting them.  It'll also allow me to play some games if there is anyone around.   This will also give me time to do some homework for the Riders and Cloaks.

So I only got one day this week to do some hobby stuff.  The added distraction of actually playing a game took a bit of time, but I'll admit it was the most fun I've had in a LONG time.

That said I got the last 10 bases in (no pic, but nothing exciting).  I got 45 of the Horses built and stopped because the 10 bases needed to dry, and 45 is enough for a 1.5k list.  So I took a break, played a 1k game, and went back and started to sand the bases and got 20 done before I got another distraction.  
DERiders1014_zpssvkoizts.jpg

So one of the other players saw my Army and left.  When he came back he said that he only bought it for the Sorceress and didn't need the rest of the kit.  So this got added to my force.  Of course I had to start putting him together, and admittedly, might end up painting him sooner than later as well.
DEDragon_zpscoy7dwrm.jpg

That's my progress this week.  Goal is to have the last 15 horses on their bases and sanded so I can seal them before priming.  From there I'll start painting the horses, but can honestly see myself painting the Black Dragon up.  Just hope I can stay focused long enough to get the horses built and sanded before I break for the Dragon!!!

Managed to sneak in some more hobby time, and managed to get all 60 of the Nightmares on their bases.  I was also able to do the base and assemble most of the rider on the Drake as well.  There was another hobbyist working on his stuff, and we decided to distract ourselves with a game.  I forgot to take pics of the work I'd managed to get done,

Here are the setup pics just to give an idea of what it's going to look like.
Teaser1_zpsw1p14h5p.jpg
Teaser2_zpscmjrd2nl.jpg

How did the game end?  Well you should be able to guess from here at the top of T5.  There was another unit on the other side of the tower.  They never really got into the fight.
Teaserend_zpslbfftuev.jpg

Baby Steps...

A lot of work done, not a lot to show.  I managed to get the remaining bases sanded, the whole thing sealed.  A brief once over to remove any flash that I may have missed.  All models cleaned, and purchased some Primer.  The next day, it rained...  Caught a break today and the sun decided to even shine for a pic.
DEPrimed_zpsxva6f2r7.jpg

The Dreadlord remains un-primed for two reasons.  The first is I actually ran out of Primer (leaky top...).  One of the Assassins didn't even get complete coverage and I tried to squeeze it all out.  The second is that I'm not set on the Lance or Exile Blade, so I can still switch it up.  He's not a part of the Shadowblades force, so no rush on that.

Various bits have started to show up in the mail to complete the riders the way I want.  Assembly can start on them soon.

Looking forward to painting soon.

On 10/20/2016 at 4:55 AM, Sarkazim said:

How did the game end?  Well you should be able to guess from here at the top of T5.  There was another unit on the other side of the tower.  They never really got into the fight.

Haha it almost feels mean to let those dwarfs chase your dark riders :D

Archived