Grots Wiv Bows?

erasercrumbs

Please forgive me if this is an altogether dumb question and has already been asked and answered a gazillion times already.

But what's the point of giving Moonclan Grots bows?  They're horrible shots, and lack the special ability that makes their close combat-oriented peers a deadly threat.  In most instances, Gitmob archers or Orruks seem to be better choices in every respect.  Is there something I'm missing?

Nah Moonclans with bows aren't worth it. They're worse than gitmob and 20 more points. The only reason to use them is if you want an entirely Moonclan force, which is useless gameplay wise because they don't even have battleline exclusives.

On 08/10/2016 at 4:41 AM, Furious said:

Nah Moonclans with bows aren't worth it. They're worse than gitmob and 20 more points. The only reason to use them is if you want an entirely Moonclan force, which is useless gameplay wise because they don't even have battleline exclusives.

I beg to differ. Just because a faction doesn't have Battleline exclusives, doesn't make them useless.

A pure Moonclan force is certainly viable, and far from useless.

Also, if you do want to stray away from "pure" Moonclan, the fact that Moonclan Grots are Battleline regardless of your allegiance actually allows you to create some strong armies without worrying about adding in a Gitmob warmachine here, or other such support element. 

I suppose you would take the bows to enable you to shoot both in and out of combat and with enough numbers you don't suffer too badly from the normal to wound penalty other archers have to try and contend with when in cc.

I run two units of 20 gitmob in 1000k points and they go alright. I never expect much, but its nice to pitch in when there is no room to fit them into close combats etc.

Very tempting but on back burner as trying to work through my grey plastic stash of stuff as want to move house soon. Looking at either something Order related or Space Marines! (while not being too distracted with Blood Bowl re-release)

Back on topic - Moonclan are ace!

9 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Very tempting but on back burner as trying to work through my grey plastic stash of stuff as want to move house soon. Looking at either something Order related or Space Marines! (while not being too distracted with Blood Bowl re-release)

Back on topic - Moonclan are ace!

Do it, you know it makes sense. They're a fun force and surprisingly effective when played right. Moonclan FTW!

8 hours ago, Dangermouse425 said:

I beg to differ. Just because a faction doesn't have Battleline exclusives, doesn't make them useless.

A pure Moonclan force is certainly viable, and far from useless.

Also, if you do want to stray away from "pure" Moonclan, the fact that Moonclan Grots are Battleline regardless of your allegiance actually allows you to create some strong armies without worrying about adding in a Gitmob warmachine here, or other such support element. 

You misunderstand, that's exactly what I meant:

You don't need to stick to the faction because there are zero benefits of doing so. Therefore, taking other factions has not penalties. Therefore, there's no reason to exclusively stick to Moonclan for anything other than consistency/fluff - which of course I can definitely get behind.

Eventually this won't be the case, but for now keep the Moonclan grots with bows out of it.

1 hour ago, Furious said:

You misunderstand, that's exactly what I meant:

You don't need to stick to the faction because there are zero benefits of doing so. Therefore, taking other factions has not penalties. Therefore, there's no reason to exclusively stick to Moonclan for anything other than consistency/fluff - which of course I can definitely get behind.

Eventually this won't be the case, but for now keep the Moonclan grots with bows out of it.

I see what you mean now! Forgive the misinterpretation. :)

The only use for Moonclan archers that I can think of is the pure shock of having archers that rush forward, lob a single volley of arrows, and then wade into melee.  With the Moonclan wounding bonus, they're actually surprisingly decent at close combat.  

I want to love Moonclan archers, because they're are plentiful and relatively inexpensive to acquire on eBay.

Archived