Carmine Dragon - blending

After completing two units of dryads I fancied a slight change of pace before tackling my next set of trees. I've never painted a dragon before or a Forgeworld monster so I decided I wanted to have a crack at the Carmine Dragon.

I've gone for a dark purple and green scheme (see below) but am wondering if anyone has any tips for painting the flesh transition area from green flesh to purple Scale? I want it to look as natural as possible. It's still very much a Wip but all feedback is greatly received.

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, grunnlock said:

Looks amazing! The idea of emerald skin is sweet.

To enforce that look, you could put varnish on the scales to make them look like actual emeralds reflecting light.

Thanks for the feedback bud. I was actually thinking of adding some 'ard coat the each of the scales to see what it would look like.... That's tonight's painting sorted then :)

To tie both colors together I would suggest using thinner down purple paint on the edges of the green skin. Build up several layers until you're happy, but keep it subtle. Use a clean brush to fade out the paint as it is still wet. 

44 minutes ago, elfhead said:

To tie both colors together I would suggest using thinner down purple paint on the edges of the green skin. Build up several layers until you're happy, but keep it subtle. Use a clean brush to fade out the paint as it is still wet. 

Thanks bud, I'll try that and see how it goes. 

7 hours ago, judging_jester said:

Thanks for the feedback bud. I was actually thinking of adding some 'ard coat the each of the scales to see what it would look like.... That's tonight's painting sorted then :)

A coat of 'ard stuff on the scales gives this effect... Thoughts? 

Hi guys, I've pretty much completed the scales. I've tried to make them look like amethyst. 

My next issue is with the wings and I'd really appreciate the input of the community. Last night I totally repainted the base layer on my Carmine Dragon wings. I wanted something that looked more pearlescent. I now want to start toning bits down and adding a layer of depth. How would you recommend that I do this? I've already started trying to blend in the green from the edges, would a dark purple in the shadows work followed by a wash? If so what type of wash, a purple, a green? All feedback welcome.

as always thanks for any input

Archived