Skarbrand

Entombet

On 10/8/2016 at 3:29 PM, Wolden Spoons said:

Keep him out of combat turn one, slaughter everything turn two. Rinse repeat. Remember to goad your enemies into wounding him as he will only hit em harder.  Oh and I try to kill the shooting stuff first.

"shoot the choppy stuff and chop the shooty stuff" o_O

I've used Skarbrand pretty extensively now and across multiple UK tournaments (doing pretty well with him as well).

As pointed out he is not an alpha strike model, buff and run him into combat turn 2. Bloodsecrators, Wrathmongers and Bloodstokers (I use Sayl the Faithless as well) are great models to combo with him.

His 2 key strengths are:

- He will kill ANY model in the game if he gets into combat. I have not found anything he cannot kill yet when he has all/partial buffs.

- He is a HUGE psychological model, your opponents will react to him or even panic if he's on the board. Accept he will likely die but you will trade either a better position in the game or he will destroy your opponents key models. In addition if your opponent targets him and doesn't kill him it just makes him more destructively reliable.

I have been finding that he is far more useful for the psychological affect he has on my opponent than what he ever usually achieves in combat.  Skarbrand has so much combat potential and anyone who has been on the receiving end of it will be concerned and go to great lengths to remove or avoid him.  Sometimes opponents will deploy and play the entire game around this model and being able to take advantage of this and have so much more control over how the game plays out is, in my experience, a much more powerful advantage than his already potent combat ability. 

If you are building a competitive list Skarbrand will likely be the least of what your opponent should be concerned about, but even with much bigger threats Skarbrand will usually be their focus.  Sharing stories about that time Skarbrand waded into battle, mauled a dragon, took an elite units retaliation to the face and just got angry also helps to keep the focus on him rather than other more useful elements of your force. His reputation is very useful.

On 08/10/2016 at 8:29 PM, Wolden Spoons said:

Keep him out of combat turn one, slaughter everything turn two. Rinse repeat. Remember to goad your enemies into wounding him as he will only hit em harder.

If he doesn't fight in turn 1 he is incandescent for the rest of the game right?...  

That's how I read it 

3 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

no, at the start of your hero phase you see how many wounds you done in the previous turn.

so really you want to throw him into combat and not have the double turn as youll do 2 combat rounds of incandescent rage 

It's the words "always incandescent" on the scroll that made me think that. so if he doesn't fight turn one.. he is always incandescent no? 

..uh oh 

Thing is, he's still very Killy at the slightly miffed stage. And the psychological effect is proportional to just how damn cool he is. I played a big multi player game where turn two he slaughtered about a bajillion of them so they spent turn two needing EVERYTHING to kill him, and one was skaven. 

That kind of performance sticks in the mind.

• 1 month later...

For those who have used him in tournament play: Is Sayl Manditory to be able to field him? I feel like he would be too easy to chaff up or avoid otherwise.

Also, what buffs do you usually stack on him? I was thinking blood stoker, sayl, and WoK thirster's command ability for a monstrous early charge if an alpha strike is desperately needed.

For those who have used him in tournament play: Is Sayl Manditory to be able to field him? I feel like he would be too easy to chaff up or avoid otherwise.

Also, what buffs do you usually stack on him? I was thinking blood stoker, sayl, and WoK thirster's command ability for a monstrous early charge if an alpha strike is desperately needed.

Personally I want to keep him close to the rest of  my army(ish). As you don;t want him in combat till turn 2 it allows you to set up some lanes/targets for him.

Buff wise I try to keep in minimal as he really doesn't need much. Bloodstoker is essential due to the +3 to charge rolls (you'll also have the re-roll from Incandescent), I also like to keep him with a posse of Wrathmongers and within range of a Bloodsecrator's banner for the sweet 3 attacks with Carnage.

Sayl is nice, but not essential.

Considering comboing him with Sayl and 6 storm fiends for a brutal turn 1 alpha strike in a team tourney. Do you think that would still over extend him?

Do you keep a ring of chaff around him, or how do you keep him from getting charged or chaffed up that first turn?

Sorry, you used the words over and extend in a sentence relating to Skarbrand. You must be mistaken ;).

Funny enough it turns out the current meta is about hitting harder, faster than before. So buffing up someone very Killy and firing them in is now a good plan. Turns out we have just the Demon for the job.

What I mean is that it's a liability to fly a 400 point model into the heart of an enemy army and alpha strike a single hero or unit- even if expensive. Basic shooting will take care of him with ease. Or if he gets charged a mediocre combat unit can kill him in a turn

Archived