TOW 1.0 - Kingdom of Bretonnia, Errantry Crusades & Exiles Discussion

So two things to consider: (i) generally bigger bases are a disadvantage over smaller ones and (ii) it'll make the most difference fur things which expect to need to manoeuvre and fight in combat. Given that I really don't thing it'll make much difference to the game if your bombard is on a larger base, and what difference it does make will likely be too your (minor) disadvantage. So if day go for it.

Obviously this might be an issue in tournaments, but in casual play I'd hope no one would object.

• Thanks 1

The difference between 50x50 and 50x75 or even 60x100 is actually minimal in game for war machines ; it really matters for flank charge and war machines are basically always good as dead once they're charged, no matter if it's on the flank or the front. Beside, people often forget servants have bases too and they tend to make the "war machine" bigger in reality (they have to be put in formation as well, don't forget !). Base for line of sight doesn't really matter as well, because usually when you use a bigger base for war machines, it's mostly because the miniature is big.

I'd say go for it. There's no official bombard miniature, so really depends what you find for it. I guess they went 50x50mm because one of the guys making the list use historic bombards or an old citadel miniature they released at the time bretonnians actually had cannons in their list : they're not that big.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Thanks 2

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Having experimented a bit with the part build cannon I think that the 60x100mm will look a bit empty unless I put the crew on as well. The 50x75mm is much better in that regard but a little narrow all things considered (in part due to the big shield at the front).

So I think I will make a custom base of either 60x60mm or maybe 60x75mm as that would allow the three crew on 25x25mm to neatly line up along one side.

I have my first 1000p game coming up this week, so need to finish the grand bombard.

I attempted to make a custom base using come plastic card and corners/straights from the movement try kit. Was aiming for 60x75mm but I think it is closer to 61.5x73.5mm. The cannon fits on nicely and I can line up three crew bases along one side and it looks fine.

Base:

Spoiler

image.png.77f8a1aad64d847263d7398cdd01f0ef.png

Bombard WIP:

Spoiler

image.png.17af13a4fb9333bd47d922cc81f6880a.pngimage.png.6fa8f407bb90ed7351f9c2bbc096b4dc.png

I have also finished 20 Foot Knights.

image.png.edf35733ba89dfabe2b569b0b8ecda4c.png