Duardin Escalation league help

Coganaut

Hey everyone. Started up a escalation league at my local game store. Looking for some list advice as I am still very new to playing duardin. The rule for the league start out at 500 points and go up by 200 pts ever week. You can choose from 1-2 leaders, 1+ Battleline, 0-1 Behemoth, 0-1 Artillery and either a Behemoth or an Artillery can be switched to a Other warscroll choice.

For my first 500 here is what I Was thinking of playing:

1 Leader

-Warden King

1 Battleline

-10 Longbeards

1 Artillery 

-Organ Gun

1 Other

-10 quarrelers

List has a bit of shooting with the organ gun and quallers, an okay shield wall, and the hero is just kinda beefy. 

Alternatively i could go with a more powerful shooting role and add in some irondrakes in place of the qualleers and replace the king with a runelord. This seems like a bit more fore power and the runelord can help unbind spells, which is always handy.

What are your thoughts?!?

I would not take a unit of 10 quarrelers for 10 id go for thunderers same amount of attacks but the thunderers do damage on 3+ and have a rend -1. They have shorter range but in that low point games that should not matter much.  

This is what I would use in 500 points.

Leader

Rune lord (leader) - can buff the warriors or thunderers

dwarf engineer buff the OG

battle line

warriors x 10 - great weapons and shields full command

Other

thunderers x 10 shields full command

warmachine

organ gun 

You really need an Engineer to babysit any artillery, especially in a small game where getting at least three organ gun barrels off a turn will be crucial. Swap the Warden King/Runelord out for Grimm Burloksson or a Dwarf Engineer (compendium version, not the Cogsmith, he has separate points) with a Steam Hammer. Both are solid melee heroes, with Grimm also having great ranged damage and should be able to cover most of the bases a Warden King would be able to in such a small game.

:) 

I like your first list the best. But as said the organ gun needs a engineer. So go heavy on that or something more close combat orientated. (which I prefer for objective campaigns anyway)

My suggestion would be:

warden king (120p), 10x quarrellers (120p), 10x warriors (100p),  10 ironbreakers (160p)

Use the warden kings command ability to boost the quarrellers shooting before combat, screen with the warriors, and use the ironbreakers to claim objectives.

Alternatively lose the quarrelers, take a gyrocopter and upgrade the warriors to longbeards or miners. 

Week 2 is now upon me. Saddly i didnt get a few of the stuff I needed for week 1 built... soo here is what I had week 1, boy where you guys right, you NEED a engineer for Artillery: 1 Runelord, 10 Longbeard, 10 Warriors, 1 Organ gun.

For week 2 I must keep what I originally added and can choose to add:

-Up to 2 leaders

-Any number of battle line

This was my thoughts for week 2 would love to hear more of your opinions!

2 leaders

-Runelord

-Grim Burloksson

2 Battleline

-10 longbeards 

-20 Warriors (great weapons and shields)

1 Artillery

-Organ Gun

Cant wait to hear your ideas! Need to get this list ready for this sunday amd excited to paint more dwarves.

48 minutes ago, fartsocks said:

Could chuck in 5 slayers for the last 60 points. 

Or maybe replace one of the warrior units with quarrelers or something else shooty.

Dont want to max out the points just yet. If I keep my self short on points next week I can add in either 2 warscrolls of quarrelers being 240 points or a unit of irondrakes.

Could swap a unit of warriors with a unit of Quarrlers. Would give me some variety as far as painting goes as well ?

1 hour ago, Coganaut said:

Dont want to max out the points just yet. If I keep my self short on points next week I can add in either 2 warscrolls of quarrelers being 240 points or a unit of irondrakes.

Could swap a unit of warriors with a unit of Quarrlers. Would give me some variety as far as painting goes as well ?

The I think I would swap some warriors for quarrelers and make sure you keep enough points open for hammerers next time. 

They are absolutely amazing. 

Heard the same things about iron drakes but never played them. :) 

7 hours ago, Bimli said:

I would not add another 10 warriors. Id either go with another OG or a 10 man thunderer (if you don't have thunderers take 10 man quarrelers) and take grim 

I don't have thunderers, have about 40 quarrelers though lol. 

Every one seems to agree on a unit of 10 Quarrlers though so will just run with that idea!

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

The I think I would swap some warriors for quarrelers and make sure you keep enough points open for hammerers next time. 

They are absolutely amazing. 

Heard the same things about iron drakes but never played them. :) 

Have yet to try the hammerers, will be building some very soon though! I have used irondrakes and man... they can dish out some damage. Only problem with them is they dont have the best range. ?

Thank you all for the help. Will be back next week with some info on how the list went!

5 hours ago, Coganaut said:

I don't have thunderers, have about 40 quarrelers though lol. 

Every one seems to agree on a unit of 10 Quarrlers though so will just run with that idea!

Have yet to try the hammerers, will be building some very soon though! I have used irondrakes and man... they can dish out some damage. Only problem with them is they dont have the best range. ?

Thank you all for the help. Will be back next week with some info on how the list went!

Good luck! 

So recap for todays event!

I won 1 of 3 games. But all was very close.

Game 1 was against Khorne Bloodbound. I shot off 9 bloodwarriors, and 20 reavers died slaming against the warrior and longbeard shield wall. Left the khorne player with a single bloodwarrior, a khorgorath, a khorne lord, and a Bloodsecrator. The objective was a homebrew one where you had to collect treasures that scattered around the battlefield on turn 3. Most landed near the khorne dudes who was able to grab them and run back to his board edge. My stubby legs couldnt keep up. One more round of shooting and I would have got the win by knocking out the last wound on the khorgorath hoarding 3 treasures. However it wasnt possible. [1st loss]

Second game was quick. went against iron jaws. Thanks to their crazy move abilities i was hit with 3 of the calvary dudes turn one which ended in me los8ng half my warriors. Second round I was hit by the rest of the army. 3rd round I was tabled... was a bad match but it happens. [2nd loss]

Third game was against a slaneesh seeker chariot army. Was able to shoot down a charriot and another unit turn 1. Second turn i was locked into combat by 2 seeker squads and a second chariot. Took some massive losses to the one side of my shield wall (the warrior side) while the other side (longbeards) was able to take out the one squad of seekers at the top of 3. My shooting went fairly well, taking out the chariot leaving me against a squad of seekers and a lord of slaanesh on a daemonic mount. The remain warriors fled from combat nabbing a obj, while longbeards held another. By turn 5 my organ gun and crew, Grimm, runelord and quarrelers were taken down by some amazing rolls in my opp favor. Sadly for my opponent he invested too much effort in trying to clear the board and not enough on the obj so was able to nab my first win for the night. [1st win]

Really enjoyed the list this week. Grimm Burloksson is just outstanfing. Reroll for the organ gun was a huge improvement. The extra range on the quarrlers was nice as well!

Archived