Meta? What is meta?

I've got a question to ask that might be incredibly stupid....

What do people mean when they talk about the Age of Sigmar "meta"? I see the term bandied around a lot, but don't really understand what they're talking about. My (admittedly very small) group of players don't use the term. Googling has confused me further. 

Any attempt to elucidate will be much appreciated! 

Edited by Big Kim Woof-Woof
  • Like 2

It is mostly used as a term for higher level or tournament play. So min maxed out lists lists to get the most out of your army. The most optimal way at that time.

Sometimes it is also used to refer to your local tournament scene. Than it mostly refered to as local meta. It could differ from other peoples experiences.

I think it originated from the gaming community. 

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Thanks 1

Meta is short for meta-game, which refers to factors beyond the game that have an impact on how you play it.

For example, when Seraphon is the best army for tournaments, players start bringing units that can deal with magic and mortal wounds, or reliably beat Lord Kroak. Maybe they don't bring as much anti-melee stuff. But when Sons of Behemat is the best army for tournaments, they start bringing lists that can reliably do 35 wounds every turn in order to kill Mega-Gargants instead.

People often use "meta" to mean "what is strong right now", but your local play group also has a metagame. Maybe everyone in your group just loves to run hordes of infantry. In that group, a tournaments list that is designed to beat high-armour units and deals small amounts of high quality damage would not to do well. It would be a meta list for tournaments, but not your specific group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1