Winning more VPs vs getting tabled?

aquietfrog

In my last matched play game, we played the three places of power scenario. In this scenario, only heroes can score VPs.  I scored 2 VPs early, then killed off all of my opponent's heroes before he can claim any VPs. However by turn 3 I am completely tabled.  Does my opponent win the game?

I asked this same question on the dakkadakka forums, but I am looking for more opinions on this.

1 hour ago, aquietfrog said:

In my last matched play game, we played the three places of power scenario. In this scenario, only heroes can score VPs.  I scored 2 VPs early, then killed off all of my opponent's heroes before he can claim any VPs. However by turn 3 I am completely tabled.  Does my opponent win the game?

I asked this same question on the dakkadakka forums, but I am looking for more opinions on this.

The rules a clear in this scenario as stated above, major victory has been accomplished.

Another question would be; what if your opponent had tabled you without you having scored? You're tabled but he can't score? 

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

The rules a clear in this scenario as stated above, major victory has been accomplished.

Another question would be; what if your opponent had tabled you without you having scored? You're tabled but he can't score? 

I suppose if neither scored, then it would be a tie of 0 VP, then the person who has units left on the field (has more kill points) wins a minor victory?

As mentioned, the major and minor victory conditions are explained in the scenario. If tabling gave you a major win as well some people would just build super killy armies and do the same thing regardless of the scenario being played.

Tabling could still be used as a tactic of course since your opponent can't score more points if they have no models left on the table.

We've been discussing something similar. If the player still had opportunity to score but was behind on VP when the opponent was tabled - would they be allowed x remaining turns to score? Such as using movement phases to get on objectives etc?

It was ruled at the Warlords (GW event) that if you tabled your opponent on say turn 3 you could play out turns 4 and 5 if they were relevant to the game to see if you can get to any objectives to score victory points etc. The game doesn't just end and you continue to roll for things that could be potentially killing your own models in the turns to come (Frostlord chugging his Battlebrew for example with a wound left would die and give up his killpoints etc)

It was ruled at the Warlords (GW event) that if you tabled your opponent on say turn 3 you could play out turns 4 and 5 if they were relevant to the game to see if you can get to any objectives to score victory points etc. The game doesn't just end and you continue to roll for things that could be potentially killing your own models in the turns to come (Frostlord chugging his Battlebrew for example with a wound left would die and give up his killpoints etc)

I think this should be a standard for all tourneys

Just now, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I think this should be a standard for all tourneys

Pretty sure this has always been a thing. Back in 8th edition you would play out the following turns to see if the Daemon players units popped during the Reign of Chaos table for example. This lost me a bunch of points in some games!

Pretty sure this has always been a thing. Back in 8th edition you would play out the following turns to see if the Daemon players units popped during the Reign of Chaos table for example. This lost me a bunch of points in some games!

That's interesting! Has it always just been GW tourneys or Indy ones also? I've never seen this before the warlords pack

I'd be cautious in giving "tabling" anything other than a minor win as a reward, and I think it really shouldn't overrule a win by the other player according to the scenarios.  Partly because it could lead to fairly dull "buckets 'o' dice" games of AoS, but mostly because letting an army you can table snatch the scenario from you is just bad play on your part, and shouldn't be rewarded.   :-)

3 hours ago, swiftmus said:

As mentioned, the major and minor victory conditions are explained in the scenario. If tabling gave you a major win as well some people would just build super killy armies and do the same thing regardless of the scenario being played.

Tabling could still be used as a tactic of course since your opponent can't score more points if they have no models left on the table.

This is how I approached tournanents for years.  I hated how well-meaning TO's would make what they thought were fun and fair scenarios that really were neither, so I would always just ignore the scenarios and go for annihilation. 

Thank goodness that's not a thing anymore. At least not until people house rule us back to the stone ages.

Archived