Baleful Realmgate - how many units can use it per turn?

Zen

Question

Down at my LGS we've been using a lot of realmgates lately, and perusing the warscroll I came upon a wording that made me stop and wonder. I personally love to use the Realmgate as much as possible, risks be damned, but I'm not sure we've been using it correctly.

Hazardous Journey: "You can move one unit from your army through the Baleful Realmgate in each of your movement phases. (emphasis mine)"

Does this mean that you can only move unit through the realmgate per movement phase? If one could move as many units as one wants to, I imagine the ruling would read "You can move unit from your army through..."?

Bonus question: would this mean that the Free Spirits batallion for the Sylvaneth would be able to use the Realmgate in the Hero phase with their Swift Vengeance ability? And if the realmgate is restricted to one unit per movement phase, that would allow the Free Spirits to use it twice a turn?

3 answers to this question

My read is you can only move a single unit through a realmgate in each movement phase - but if you have four realmgates you can use each of them (if possible).

I've not got the rules for that battalion but it'll depend upon if the rule states "as if it were the movement phase" if you can use it.  I believe (and happy for others to weigh in) that if this were the case this would allow you to use a realmgate more than once in your turn.

The general consensus on "as if the X phase" in the hero phase is a little... woolly, at best.
My read is that the unit 'skips forward' to your movement phase while it completes the action, then it reverts back to your hero phase.

So as a realmgate can only be used by a single unit in the movement phase, using swift vengeance to use a realmgate in your hero phase still counts as the one use for that realmgate for you that turn.

(...and let the screaming begin.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've treated the deemed movement phase within the hero phase as being like an extra deemed movement phase, rather than being an extension of the actual movement phase. The context in which that came up was the Hand of Gork, which works in the "next movement phase" from memory - next entailing only one. The consensus was that there was a deemed movement phase in the hero phase; and that this would be "the next movement phase", so the double movement happened at that stage and was therefore not also available in the actual movement phase. This limits the Kunning Rukk unit to a mere 15 inch move, plus an 18 inch range or a 20 inch move if you roll a double.

I would think that the Free Spirits (Durthu and his Bros) formation would work in that way. In a different context, this very formation can be used in conjunction with the Forest Spirits allegiance ability to allow this formation to deploy onto the table in the hero phase near a wood; and (beautifully) this is only their move "for that movement phase", i.e. the deemed movement phase in the hero phase, which means that they can waddle a further 5 inches forward in the real movement phase and then charge 4 inches. This gives Sylvaneth a viable alpha strike option - credit for this particular combo is not mine - see the Let's chat Sylvaneth thread. 

Archived