Wayne's Flesh Eaters

wayniac

I am a fairly lazy painter, but I still wanted to share my thus far completed Flesh Eater Courts army, the Charnel Kingdom.  My work is nothing compared to some of the others here, but I am happy with it as I paint only for tabletop quality.  

Hear now the tale of the Charnel Kingdom and its vile master, the ravenous monster Shivergloom, that calls himself The Charnel King.  To the east lies a land on its deathbed. The skies are always overcast, filled with gray clouds, and during the height of the day the land is filled with the perpetual shadow of dusk. The ground is barren, graying brown with pale, dying grass sprouting in patches like hair on a leper. The trees in this land grow gnarled and rotted from birth, and no leaves crown their twisted branches. Nothing grows in this forlorn land, no beasts roam the wilds, and the air is always chilled and silent as the grave.  Across this forlorn landscape are shattered ruins and burned out husks of hamlets, long since abandoned, decrepit and decaying like the land around them. Occasionally, a traveler to this land may be struck by delusion and view what is a rotted out corpse of a house as an inviting home, smoke billowing from a chimney, only to find an abandoned wreck and the bones of its former occupants when arriving. At the center of the land, like a huge broken tooth, is Bleakrock Keep, the lair of the land's monstrous king and his evil minions.  Long since fallen into ruin, the castle juts from a jagged bluff. Tattered banners, their emblems long since faded, flutter in a breeze which carries the stink of rotten meat and the sweet cloying smell of dead flesh. Amidst the forlon, empty halls lurk the king's minions, in their delusion pretending they are proud courtesans and men-at-arms as they gnaw rotten bones and rancid flesh in the dark, surrounding by the trappings of days long gone by that are slowly withering way into dust.  On a throne built of bones in a hall of moss-covered stone, King Shivergloom sits surrounded by his minions, in his madness seeing himself seated upon a golden throne in a majestic castle even as the crumbling ruin around him falls further into decay. The king ever longs to expand his domain, and turn the surrounding lands to match his kingdom.

Noble Knights of the Kingdom gallop across the battlefield, their lofty pennants displayed proudly:
zaztTXNl.jpg

Led by their liege and the Marquis Gruelsop, the army defends their land against the barbaric monsters known only as the Stormcast Eternals:

rSHxrb0l.jpg

His Majesty, the Good King Shivergloom himself, atop his majestic steed:

ndVSGtih.jpg

As you can see my style of painting is very rough, but I like it.  I especially like the wings, which I basically stumbled across by painting it with rotting flesh (Nurgling Green now?) then giving it a heavy wash of Carroburg Crimson, then another drybrush of Rotting Flesh that gives it a look that I equated with "spoiled meat" which seemed pretty appropriate.

As someone who normally paints armor, painting all the skin was a change of pace but one I like.

Archived