Balewind Vortex Points

Maddok

Question

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did some googling but couldn't find it.

I stumbled across the balewind vortex's rules today and realized this is an incredible asset to any magic heavy army. Since its possible to summon, I would assume a player would need to pay points for it, right? Or is it treated like the wildwoods are for sylvaneth?

The rules can be found here

Additionally, how do you think tournaments would handle this? I can imagine a tzeentch army bunkering up, summoning 3 of these and absolutely blasting the opposing army off the table

4 answers to this question

You can only summon one per turn (Rule of One). They are free to summon and the FAQ for the GH provides that you can summon them in Matched play.

They are good, but not amazing - you can fail a 5 cast roll. I personally play mine without the movement restrictions to tone it down (you can charge it on an 8 or even you can just charge the building and attack the wizard as if it were the building).

I think it can actually be pro-balance by giving debuff spells a chance (and shooting is so much better than magic it's not even a contest at the moment - Judicators, Stormfiends, Savage Orruk Archers, Warp Lightning Cannons, Jezzails with Lord of War, stacking -1 rend on Irondrakes and Celestial Hurricanums).

Following the Warlords, I've suggested two ways in which they could be comped and GW said they would look at it. 

Archived