Warcry is awesome

Greyshadow

So, played my first ever game of Warcry 2nd edition last week. Game was a matched play Skaven vs Cities of Sigmar. I've got to say, I'm mighty impressed. Rules are easy to learn, clear and concise. I printed out cards for all the fighters involved, each armies reactions and abilities and a set each of the universal reactions and abilities for each player. Barely referenced the core rules during the game and pretty much played off the cards.

I was initially put off by the alternate activation but after playing this game I am a convert. They nailed it. Smooth rules and not crunchy at all. Super excited to try a campaign. Also, really impressed by how balanced the game was, even with a monstrous Stormfiend in the game. I lost but had I moved in on the objective a little earlier...

Highly recommended.

image.jpeg.c94e084d9f4672c7691d4aab9df78b2f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I completely agree, awesome game. Hope this section of the forum becomes more alive. Glad that u enjoy Warcry. 

I played a few games by now and last game i played my Nighthaunt versus DoK. This is a quick review of my game. Next time i would maybe like to start a campaign.

Could tell more about this game if anyone is interested.

Copy from my post in a dead topic:

List: 970 points

2x spirit hosts

2x chainghasts

1x spirit torment

1x lord executioner

I found the Spirithosts really underwhelming. The reaction that damages them on misses almost outdamaged them even when using Frightfull Touch. They werent bad, but not an auto include for me next time.

I did really like the 2 Chainghasts. Chipping away at foes with ranged attacks and threatening objectives and blocking attacks with reactions really made them deal a fair amount of damage as they got targeted over the Spirit Hosts a lot of times. More than i expected them to.

Spirit Torment didnt do much last game but got to ress a Spirit Host.

Lord Executioner hit like a truck with the use of a double. Got a bit lucky with the dice, so couldnt complain. Did 24 wounds in one activation.

Managed to pull out a win. Did also play catacombs for the first time and i didnt expect it to be as fun as it was. I really liked the dungeon setting and fun thematic addition they added for the extra flavour.

Edit: Also a friend gifted me a set of warcry dice and tokens, so i can play games on my own now. Still need to get myself some more terrain though.

20230121_215312.jpg.edab240f3b49aae6fec3129070e44fc1.jpg

20230121_220459.jpg.4067ea305dc49093af8ccfd7426a8438.jpg

Edited by Gitzdee
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah i cant seem to get used to playing multiple small units yet. For some reason i just keep using them as meatshields because my opponent mostly plays big scary things with 1 or 2 highly mobile squishy models to grab objectives etc. Maybe it would work better if i really go all in on smaller stuff, can see why that would work out nicely vs reactions.

• Like 1

Is it really not popular I wonder? Cursed City sold really well but the forum here for it never took off. I do think the game is still building its audience though. It’s getting some positive coverage from influencers such as Atom Smasher and Sam Lenz. Perfect game for school games clubs. I am hopeful for its future.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just played another game of Catacombs. I played Gitz and my opponent DoK. I used a list with 6 models vs 12 DoK with 9 cheerleaders and a 3 leaders.

My list: 2 Rockguts, 1 Fellwater, 1 Spiderboss, 1 Spider Rider and 1 Fungoid Shaman. (Used Snarlfangs as Spiders)

We played a game with 5 objectives that could score victory points if u controlled one at the end of the battle round. Also a move action reduces  toughness by 1, this was really bad for my high toughness guys. 

20230313_211956.jpg.de53cb1915dee73bd5b2cec3475772d9.jpg

I started out great with a 4-0 lead in the first round because of the Spiders movement. But it was all downhill from here. I could block some doorways and stall a bit but my opponent managed to get a few crits in a row and kill one of the Rockguts at the beginning of the second round and ended in 7-2 vp. My opponent used sheer numbers to get control of the objectives. I just could kill tge DoK fast enough and the third round ended in a 8-6 score. Now we could remove 1 objective each and he removed the only objective i controlled and i couldnt score after that. He scored the 3 that were left and the 4th round ended 8-9. I surrendered at this point because things didnt look good for me and even a tie would be close to impossible to achieve.

I think i could have positioned myself a bit better to prevent my opponent from flooding the board but this was an uphill battle for me. Both the objective and the -1 toughness when moving really didnt suit my list this time.

20230313_221131.jpg.6908592d6323aaa0742d7a9f790de07c.jpg

They couldnt pass the T(r)ollbridge. This was a personal win for me this game.

20230313_221157.jpg.3b316a68f5ab80827029a81ff3bfa036.jpg

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 3

I love catacombs battles; all the cool rules, being able to do cool things that in other games I'm often left *wishing* there were rules for (like corvus wall running, nighthaunt wall passthrough, or pushing people into lava), and of course using a double with my Bray Shaman to pull enemy models to instant death 😆

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I love catacombs battles; all the cool rules, being able to do cool things that in other games I'm often left *wishing* there were rules for (like corvus wall running, nighthaunt wall passthrough, or pushing people into lava), and of course using a double with my Bray Shaman to pull enemy models to instant death 😆

Dat troll? One double, DED!!

Yeah that troll took a step on the bridge and weakened the bridge on a roll of 1. The DoK only needed to do the same to collapse the bridge or push me to death in melee combat but failed to do so.

• Like 1

Pulled my old Spiderfang of the shelf for another game of Catacombs. This time is was a game where the one holding most treasures at the end of the game is the winner. For the twist we had a chance of getting eaten something if a model is more than 6 inch away from another model if rolled a 6. Too bad this didnt happen because it would have been fun.

My opponent played some kind of harpy list this time. He went for the treasures asap. I tried to go for my opponent as i was stronger in close combat. My Spiders managed to catch up to them early in the game and kill a few model in the first 3 rounds. Having lost half his warband and the key positions on the board my opponent conceded.

20230324_221626.jpg.0f725bdc808af093e87a87039fc3ca9c.jpg20230324_213518.jpg.6594975eb3df1481ab574477fc3795fe.jpg20230324_215104.jpg.df3030d2baea2a0580d1faaea439a6f7.jpg

Should i keep dropping posts like these here?

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Its been a while but i played another game of Warcry! This time using only my own models and makeshift terrain.

A friend played my Nighthaunt warband i used before with a Spirit Torment, Lord Executioner, 2 Spirit Hosts and 2 Chainghasts.

I felt in the mood for some Gitmob goodness so i slapped together this gorgeous lineup. Used Rippa as a Scuttleboss as i think it reflected those rules the most. Used the 2 Nasty Skulkers as Loonbosses. That leaves a Shaman, 4 Shootas and a Stabba with spear and shield.

20230901_195040.jpg.142091c7e4eefe839698c773e1d4c6ad.jpg

Used the battleplans, victory conditions and twists from the 1st edition rulebook as those are more fun than the 2 free pdf battleplans. 

The victory condition was to kill half the enemy force to achieve instant victory. I was already at a disadvantage using a few 6 wound units.

We ended up in the first round with all our units on the table.

20230901_200118.jpg.4eae08c895bff2d8ff1704da8a865ff8.jpg

My low movement and the Nighthaunts ability to fly didnt really help me here. I ended up with my main unit on the big mountain. My opponent took advantage of this and blocked the exit with a Spirit Host so i had to jump down for impact damage. Rippa ran to the middle of the battlefield trying to cut some ghosts and force them into combat. I had to hide my shootas at the table edge because they would lose me the game real fast.

The battle in de center was a clash between the melee units with the ranged units chipping away at them. I lost Rippa quite fast sadly before i could do any real damage.

The Nasty Skulker used the stab em good boss ability with a value of 5 buffing the attacks of 2 Nasty Skulkers and the Stabba. I managed to kill the Lord Executioner and deal around 15 damage to the 2 Spirit Hosts and left the Spirit Torment with 2 remaining wounds.

20230901_212059.jpg.63377821a28e64f2648a5e0c8745ba86.jpg

20230901_211939.jpg.e888e74b96383fc5aa78e7733edae133.jpg

This was the best i could do. The low damage of my units and high toughness of the Nighthaunt didnt match up well. My opponent ended up killing the 2 Nasty Skulkers and then ressed the Lord Executioner. It was game over from here.

20230901_205141.jpg.e347e6cd65ecb0db199ded78cbe39790.jpg

The Shaman ended up dealing some good damage shooting spells down from the mountain. And was also happy with the Nasty Skulkers, they had decent bulk and damage for their points. Wasnt happy at all with the 4 Shootas, didnt really deal any damage and had to hide most of the game.

My opponent did well for his first time and stayed out of range from my Shootas and controlled most of the melee combat.

I should have taken advantage of Rippas high movement to swing around my opponents tanky units and kill the 2 Chainghasts. This might have given me a fighting chance.

I was really pleased with how the terrain looked on the tabletop. Its nice when u put effort in to terrain and its finally being used. Next time i want to try using some Rockgut Troggoths.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...